You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-18 08:07:13

jwcxz
Website

gvcall - A script to quickly make free VoIP calls

It's pretty easy to make free VoIP calls nowadays by combining Google Voice, Antisip, and IPKALL (or equivalents).  But, to make an outgoing call, you need to load up the Google Voice interface, make a call, and then answer it on your SIP client (like Linphone).

gvcall (AUR Package) is a really easy way to make phone calls from the command-line.  It's just a matter of:
gvcall 5555555555

You can also use it to make calls from a non-VoIP number as well.

(If you want to know how I setup my accounts to get free VoIP calling, take a look at this post on my blog).

Last edited by jwcxz (2010-07-19 03:51:00)

-- jwc
http://jwcxz.com/ | blog
dotman - manage your dotfiles across multiple environments
icsy - an alarm for powernappers

#2 2010-07-18 18:19:40

yktula

Re: gvcall - A script to quickly make free VoIP calls

jwcxz wrote:

That link (the last one in your post) should point to this, I think. Thanks!

Last edited by yktula (2010-07-19 04:00:13)

#3 2010-07-19 03:51:25

jwcxz
Website

yktula wrote:
jwcxz wrote:

That link (the last one in your post) should have been this, I think. Thanks!

Yes indeed.  Sorry about that and thanks for pointing it out.

-- jwc

#4 2010-07-19 17:34:48

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

I did everything stated on your blog, and I am getting:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gvcall", line 97, in <module>
    main();
  File "/usr/bin/gvcall", line 83, in main
    voice.call(a[0], num);
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/voice.py", line 106, in call
    'remember': '1'
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/voice.py", line 210, in __validate_special_page
    load_and_validate(self.__do_special_page(page, data))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/util.py", line 65, in load_and_validate
    validate_response(loads(response.read()))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/util.py", line 59, in validate_response
    raise ValidationError('There was a problem with GV: %s' % response)
googlevoice.util.ValidationError: There was a problem with GV: {u'data': {u'code': 20}, u'ok': False}

when trying to login. It appears to be a validation error (duh!), but I am absolutely positive that my credentials are correct. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

#5 2010-07-24 20:31:56

jwcxz
Website

itsbrad212 wrote:

Apologies for the late reply.  I tried purposely setting my username and password incorrectly and I received a different error (of type googlevoice.util.LoginError).  A validation error implies that the responses from the server are incorrect.

On the pygooglevoice page, I found this:
http://code.google.com/p/pygooglevoice/ … tail?id=40

Did you perhaps enter your Google Voice number in the voipnum section of ~/.gvcall?  The number you should enter there is the number you got from IPKALL or wherever you got a VoIP number from.

-- jwc

#6 2010-07-24 21:22:05

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

jwcxz wrote:
itsbrad212 wrote:

Apologies for the late reply.  I tried purposely setting my username and password incorrectly and I received a different error (of type googlevoice.util.LoginError).  A validation error implies that the responses from the server are incorrect.

On the pygooglevoice page, I found this:
http://code.google.com/p/pygooglevoice/ … tail?id=40

Did you perhaps enter your Google Voice number in the voipnum section of ~/.gvcall?  The number you should enter there is the number you got from IPKALL or wherever you got a VoIP number from.

Oh, thank you big_smile I changed it to the IPKALL number, and I am still getting:

File "/usr/bin/gvcall", line 97, in <module>
    main();
  File "/usr/bin/gvcall", line 83, in main
    voice.call(a[0], num);
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/voice.py", line 106, in call
    'remember': '1'
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/voice.py", line 210, in __validate_special_page
    load_and_validate(self.__do_special_page(page, data))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/util.py", line 65, in load_and_validate
    validate_response(loads(response.read()))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/util.py", line 59, in validate_response
    raise ValidationError('There was a problem with GV: %s' % response)
googlevoice.util.ValidationError: There was a problem with GV: {u'data': {u'code': 20}, u'ok': False}

Thank you for your time btw big_smile

Last edited by cesura (2010-07-24 21:22:45)

#7 2010-08-21 08:39:45

Sara
Website

This is one of the best commandline apps I've seen in awhile. It's positively incredible--because of it, Google Voice will actually be *usable* for me, now. Setting Linphone with Sipgate is actually quite painless and easy (Sipgate provides a number when you join, so there's no delay). I didn't have any problems installing gvcall like others did, and it works perfectly. It's a little slow to open linphone, but I don't know if this is linphone's fault or gvcall's (this is my first time using linphone).

Thanks for contributing big_smile.

I also wish to add that this program is great not only for providing me very easy access to GV, but also for introducing me to linphone, which I hadn't known about before. Love its commandline interface. This will be great for allowing me to answer calls without having to have a GUI app like Ekiga (which I've now promptly uninstalled).

Again, thanks smile. I decided to check if there was a Google Voice program for Linux, highly doubting such would be the case, and then discovering to my immense surprise that a beautiful commandline program had been created. I love Archers smile.

Last edited by Sara (2010-08-21 08:50:28)

Registed Linux User 483618

#8 2010-08-22 01:05:26

jwcxz
Website

itsbrad212 wrote:

Thank you for your time btw big_smile

Gah, I need to learn to post after reading a thread (I get distracted and close the tab by accident)...  Anyways, have you tried setting up ~/.gvoice yet?  For the forwardingNumber field, I put my VoIP number and set the phoneType to 2 (mobile).  I wonder if that will solve your issue.

Sara wrote:

Again, thanks

No problem.  I'm glad someone else found it useful besides just me (it justifies the time I spent making a PKGBUILD for it, etc... big_smile).  I also use the script to make calls via my cellphone with gvcall -m mobile somenumber, because I frequently have my cellphone on my desk anyways.

-- jwc

#9 2010-08-26 05:17:50

Sara
Website

I have two ideas for new features:

1. Google Voice supports free text messaging. Is it possible we could also text message from the CLI?

2. Could we integrate contacts support into gvcall? I know I could make aliases (I already aliased gvcall to "call"), but it would be neat if I could add my contacts to a text file, and then use their names instead of the phone numbers.

Thanks.

#10 2010-11-04 10:52:44

Sara
Website

Can you please update this for the python upgrade? I tried changing to shebang line to use python2, but I still get the error:

File "/usr/bin/gvcall", line 6, in <module>
    import ConfigParser as cp, googlevoice, optparse, os, sys
ImportError: No module named googlevoice

Thanks!

[Edit] Fixed by recompiling python-pygooglevoice with using "python2 setup.py" instead of "python setup.py" in line 21. [/Edit]

Last edited by Sara (2010-11-12 20:06:11)

#11 2011-06-27 10:57:33

gammel.holte

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but it seems to be an adequate place to ask. Any ideas regarding a command line app for using Google Chat (voicechat)?

Initially I was thinking about gvcall until I realised that Google Voice seems to be a different thing from Google (voice/video)chat, right? It is a bit confusing. Whereas the sooner seems to use SIP, the latter uses XMPP & Jingle.

Board footer