You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-04 19:46:00

marko2010

Getting printing working with only client CUPS package

Is anything else needed on a client machine to get printing working other than  libcups?

Since I don't have a printer directly connected to this system I thought I would take the wiki's advice and only install the CUPS client package. I installed libcups and nothing else printer related. There is no cupsd daemon running this client machine. I also edited my  /etc/cups/client.conf like the following:

SeverName XXX.XX.X.XXX

(note XXX.XX.X.XXX is the ip of the arch system on my local network that has a shared printer running under CUPS)

Despite doing this, all the applications that print can not see this shared printer. Note  this exact same shared printer I used before successfully, but I had  cups, cups-filters, ghostscript, gsfonts installed on the client machine.

#2 2012-08-04 20:02:13

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Getting printing working with only client CUPS package

So long as the cups daemon on the other machine is broadcasting, all you need is for the client machine to be connected to the same subnet, and the cups client (libcups).

However, the recent update of libcups (1.5.4 => 1.6.1) broke the cups client for me on my work PC, so try downgrading to an earlier version of the libcups package, like this one.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2012-08-04 20:04:09

vacant

You've done the cups stuff correctly (libcups is all you need, client.conf set up).

Now check /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf on both client and server. Suppose you call your private network "lan". Make sure /etc/resolv.conf on both includes a line

domain lan

and check /etc/hosts specifies the hostname and the lan name, e.g., lines such as

192.168.1.40 myserver.lan myserver
192.168.1.41 myclient.lan myclient

#4 2012-08-05 06:40:01

marko2010

Is there sure way of telling if cups daemon on the other cups server machine is really broadcasting?

I have been over /etc/hosts & /etc/resolv.conf many times today and those settings seem fine, so I am starting to suspect the CUPS server machine.

When I put in XXX.XX.X.XXX:631 in a browser address bar on the client machine there is no problem with getting the CUPS admin page for the machine sharing a printer (again where XXX.XX.X.XXX is the ip of the computer with the CUPS daemon running).

#5 2012-08-05 07:56:50

stronnag

posting (links to) cups.conf and printers.conf on the server would help. FYI, I have a RaspberryPi with just

ServerName roo

in client.conf (roo is the cups server host), and that prints just fine to a shared printer. On roo, in cupsd.conf (inter alia):

# Listen on LAN for connections
Port 631
# Restrict access to the server... allow LAN (@LOCAL)
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>

And in roo's printers.conf

Accepting Yes
Shared Yes

I suspect your problem is in the server cupsd.conf.

#6 2012-08-05 19:19:47

marko2010

I checked those lines in cupsd.conf & printers.conf on the machine running the cupsd daemon and they look fine. I uploaded the files below if that is of any help in diagnosing this problem:

cupsd.conf
printers.conf

And on the client machine my /etc/cups/client.conf is merely

SeverName kitchenpc

And of course:
"kitchenpc" is in my hosts file on my client machine and mapped to the correct IP of the machine with the printer directly connected to it
kitchenpc (the computer with the printer directly connected to it) is pingable from any computer on the local network
On any web browser in the local network I can pull up the CUPS admin page on kitchenpc by entering kitchenpc:631

Yet I still can not print from my arch box with just libcups installed & configured.

Last edited by marko2010 (2012-08-05 19:20:42)

#7 2012-08-31 10:12:48

xanb

WorMzy wrote:

So long as the cups daemon on the other machine is broadcasting, all you need is for the client machine to be connected to the same subnet, and the cups client (libcups).

However, the recent update of libcups (1.5.4 => 1.6.1) broke the cups client for me on my work PC, so try downgrading to an earlier version of the libcups package, like this one.

I think you have the same problem as me. I can't solve it. I think I will downgrade the package.

By the other hand, it's a pain cups 1.6 complicates so much the printer discovering. Does anyone could edit a page in the wiki for knowing how share printers with cups 1.6? Wiki is outdated (1.5 is assumed)

Thanks,
Xan.

Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

#8 2012-08-31 11:45:19

ratcheer

Printer discovery with CUPS 1.6 requires avahi-daemon. I am surprised no one has mentioned this. From the CUPS page on the Wiki:

optional advanced network setup

You can run a cupsd instance on your client with avahi browsing enabled to discover unknown shared printers in your network. This is not recommended in simple home network setups where you usually know your printer server IP or hostname! This makes only sense in large setups where the server is unknown.

Note: This behavior has not been changed with cups 1.6.x - the difference is that until 1.5.x cupsd was able to do printer browsing alone and now needs avahi to discover unknown printers!

Tim

#9 2012-08-31 12:06:50

vacant

Shame libcups depends on avahi

#10 2012-08-31 14:38:10

xanb

ratcheer wrote:

Printer discovery with CUPS 1.6 requires avahi-daemon. I am surprised no one has mentioned this. From the CUPS page on the Wiki:

optional advanced network setup

You can run a cupsd instance on your client with avahi browsing enabled to discover unknown shared printers in your network. This is not recommended in simple home network setups where you usually know your printer server IP or hostname! This makes only sense in large setups where the server is unknown.

Note: This behavior has not been changed with cups 1.6.x - the difference is that until 1.5.x cupsd was able to do printer browsing alone and now needs avahi to discover unknown printers!

Tim

Yes, printer discovery in cups 1.6 requires avahi, but it seems it requires "another thing". After installing avahi, md-dns in server and client, no progress made for discovering printers.... it's not such simple.

Thanks,
Xan.

#11 2012-09-01 15:08:01

xanb

xanb wrote:
WorMzy wrote:

I think you have the same problem as me. I can't solve it. I think I will downgrade the package.

By the other hand, it's a pain cups 1.6 complicates so much the printer discovering. Does anyone could edit a page in the wiki for knowing how share printers with cups 1.6? Wiki is outdated (1.5 is assumed)

Thanks,
Xan.

I downgraded to 1.5:
* I download cups and libcups from ARM and I do pacman -U libcups cups:

# ls
cups-1.5.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz  libcups-1.5.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
[root@negre xane]# pacman -U cups-1.5.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz libcups-1.5.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz 
s'està carregant paquets...
avís: desactualitzant paquet cups (1.6.1-5 => 1.5.4-1)
avís: desactualitzant paquet libcups (1.6.1-5 => 1.5.4-1)
s'estan resolent les dependències...
s'estan cercant conflictes interns...

Objectius (3):

Nom      Versió antiga  Versió nova  Canvi net

openslp                 1.2.1-5       1,29 MiB
cups     1.6.1-5        1.5.4-1       5,44 MiB
libcups  1.6.1-5        1.5.4-1       0,08 MiB

Mida total baixada:     0,25 MiB
Mida total instal·lada: 19,07 MiB
Mida en xarxa de l'actualització:        6,81 MiB

Inicio la instal·lació? [S/n] 
:: Recuperant paquets des de extra...
 openslp-1.2.1-5-i686                     259,8 KiB   209K/s 00:01 [-------------------------------------] 100%
(1/3) comprovant la integritat del paquet                          [-------------------------------------] 100%
(1/3) s'estan carregant fitxers del paquet                         [-------------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) s'estan comprovant els conflictes amb fitxers                [-------------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) comprovant l'espai disponible al disc                        [-------------------------------------] 100%
(1/3) s'està instal.lant openslp                                   [-------------------------------------] 100%
(2/3) s'està actualitzant libcups                                  [-------------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) s'està actualitzant cups                                     [-------------------------------------] 100%
avís: /etc/cups/cupsd.conf instal·lat com /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.pacnew
Noves dependències opcionals per cups
    php: for included phpcups.so module

I restart cups but I don't see printers in firefox, so I suspect something else is wrong, but what?

Can you help me?

Thanks,
Xan.

Board footer