You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-17 11:10:21

fishonadish

Simple animation software for Arch?

Can anyone suggest a simple animation program for Linux; something similar to AnimationShop for windows.  I know there's gimp-GAP, but that seems to be fairly advanced for my purposes.  I just want to be able to string together images into .gif or video, perhaps with an 'onion layer' feature so you can see the previous frame transparently; that sort of thing.

I use gnome, so preferably something for GTK, or at least if it's KDE, that depends only on QT and not KDE packages.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Fishonadish

#2 2007-03-17 15:14:18

junglepeanut
Website

Re: Simple animation software for Arch?

I am not sure exactly what you are doing but I use gifsicle a lot for stringing things together. I believe it can do gif and mpeg, the mpeg how to I saw was very simple but I never was able to get to work completely the way I wanted. gif is very simple just make sure to optimize afterwards.

#3 2007-03-17 16:26:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

You don't actually need GAP to do animated Gifs in Gimp. All you need to do is add all the frames that you want as layers in one image, then save as Gif. Gimp will ask you if you want to flatten the image or make an animation out of it. If you choose animation, it will ask you for a frame rate.

#4 2007-03-17 20:04:52

fishonadish

skottish wrote:

You don't actually need GAP to do animated Gifs in Gimp. All you need to do is add all the frames that you want as layers in one image, then save as Gif. Gimp will ask you if you want to flatten the image or make an animation out of it. If you choose animation, it will ask you for a frame rate.

Thanks.  I realised this eventually and got it done that way.

Still, out of curiosity are there any 'film-strip' type animation programs out there?

Fishonadish

#5 2007-03-17 21:12:28

skottish
Forum Fellow

I don't know much about them, but you may want to look into Ktoon or Synfig. Both are in AUR.

Board footer