You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-14 13:58:24

jinn

My favorite IM program Pidgin..

Hi,

In search for a perfect IM program, I have gone through and tested all of them.. Pidgin, amsn, java based IMs (cant remember the names), kopete and all other qt based im..

Ofcourse pidgin is the best of them in my taste for many reasons.. but for many years now they have not fixed of what should be relatively easy (I think...) feature, that is the direct connection in file transfer when using MSN.  The problem seems to be that in file transfer, pidgin does not make a direct connection, but sends the file throught the msn proxies, causing a maxspeed of about 5kb/s.. I emailed the devs asking when it will be fixed, getting to know that they really dont have any plans on fixing that for now, and are simply waiting for someone to apply a patch for it..

This is the reason of my post. Anyone else that like pidgin and really would like to see the faster msn file transfer maybe could try to fix that. I would like to fix it myself but the lack in knowledge in both C programming (I know just a little), and the lack of time I have never been able to really start off.

So anyone interested in this small and fun little project with some programming skills or any other knowledge, with some free time in your hands, lets start with thing and make everyone more happy. I would like to be a part of this also, as I could learn alot, but dont expect much from me. Let me know if anyone is interested, and maybe we can work something out.

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#2 2007-07-14 14:32:59

High|ander
Website

Re: My favorite IM program Pidgin..

sounds like a good idea. Hope that you find a dev that can help you. I know C but my time is REALLY limited due to work & school

When death smiles at you, all you can do is smile back!
Blog

#3 2007-07-14 15:20:36

Ankka

I used adium on mac and now pidgin, and I have to agree that this is the biggest and almost only of the problems of pidgin.

It does do better than kopete, with which I'm not sure I've ever heard of a successful file transfer.

If you get this fixed I'm sure a lot of people would be endlessly gracious. Including me.

#4 2007-07-14 17:31:49

jinn

I just found this also. It describes how file transfer works in msn protocol.

http://www.hypothetic.org/docs/msn/clie … ansfer.php

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

Board footer