You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-08 00:30:59

fflarex

few questions: 32- or 64-bit? freedom? installation?

Hey everybody, first post on these forums. I've been thinking for some time about installing Arch on my laptop. I like that it's actively developed by volunteers, offers good performance and stability while also staying up-to-date, and the minimalistic design philosophy that will surely make me learn a thing or two about linux (probably not a plus for most users, but Arch seems tailored for people who like to explore the inner workings of the operating system without dealing with more hassle than necessary). I have previously installed Ubuntu on my laptop, but would like to try and learn about other distros, how to use the command line a little better, and how to find and edit system/program configuration files, etc.

Anyway, introductions aside, I'll get to my questions: my processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo that I always assumed it was 32-bit (or i386 or x86 or whatever), because it came with a 32-bit version of Windows pre-installed. Wikipedia seems to suggest otherwise though. If I understood correctly, it's actually x86-64 but can still run 32-bit code just fine.

1. Should I install the normal Arch Linux or the 64-bit port? I'm aware of the usual limitations of 64-bit environments, but are there any Arch-specific issues I should know about. Are all packages available for both architectures? Community packages?

2. Also, what is Arch's position on software freedom (binary drivers, codecs, etc.)?

3. I have a feeling that setting up Arch will be the most difficult part of my switch. Will I be able to perform the install on my University's internet connection, which is set up to require a login via web browser each session? How fast is this forum's turn-around for questions if I have trouble?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to becoming part of this community and installing Arch on my system.

Last edited by fflarex (2007-10-08 00:37:31)

#2 2007-10-08 00:41:37

fwojciec

Re: few questions: 32- or 64-bit? freedom? installation?

1) 64bit arch is designed as a pure 64bit system.  There are ways of achieving multi-lib environment, of course, but they are not officially supported.  The benefits of 64bit system are debatable - I have both installed (32bit and 64bit) and I find that I prefer working in the 32bit version most of the time, though both are good and work well.
2) As I understand it: sympathetic and respectful towards the software freedom philosophy, but not to the point where it would affect the overall KISS approach of the project.
3) Arch generally assumes that internet is easily available, and since it will install a CLI based system to begin with you will probably have to be a little creative about installation, I guess.  Turn-around for questions?  Depends on the quality of questions, but generally people respond without huge delays.

Last edited by fwojciec (2007-10-08 01:01:16)

#3 2007-10-08 02:05:48

fflarex

What do you mean by your answer to 2? Are codecs/drivers included by default or optionally available? I don't know how relevant that question is, considering the way Arch starts from a minimum system and has the user build from there, but drivers are part of the kernal right?

#4 2007-10-08 02:12:44

fwojciec

Sorry, I guess that sounded somewhat criptic... The codecs and proprietary drivers/apps are in the regular repos and can be installed without any hassle, they are, however, not included in what is installed by the installer (they need to be installed via pacman later).  Kernel includes the drivers that are provided by the kernel - proprietary drivers such as nvidia or madwifi drivers need to be installed from the repos.

#5 2007-10-08 21:32:37

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

For your install , use the core install iso. This way you can install a basic konsole based system without having to use internet.

A text-mode browser should help with setting up your login to the Uni network, but they are not part of the core iso afaik.

Download the tar.gz file that holds the package for links / elinks / lynx (choose whichever you like) to a cd or usb stick and install with :
pacman -U /path/to/package

This should allow you to connect to the Uni network.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2007-10-08 21:45:55

Thrillhouse

I actually had a similar situation about 9 months ago.  My ISP required you to log in to a web-browser before you could access the internet.  Lynx was actually available on the install CD and I used pacman to install it but it couldn't connect to the web page.  resolv.conf looked fine and I had an IP address but Links couldn't display the page correctly.

I eventually gave up and waited until I had a good connection (one that didn't require a login) before I re-installed.  Thank God I no longer use that ISP.

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#7 2007-10-10 16:27:05

fflarex

Thanks everyone. I think I will actually just wait to install Arch until I have an easier internet connection available.

#8 2007-12-10 09:46:36

Si

You can try the alternative installing methods found in Wiki. For example there's one howto on installing Arch from another distro. You can then install for example from a Knoppix LiveCD/DVD so you have a graphical browser to access internet.

Board footer