You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-22 17:05:13

evdvelde

Linux magazines

I am looking for a decent Linux magazine to subscribe to. Since I have a Master in Computer Science, it should not aim for a newbie audiance, but I do not want to get a headache when reading either smile  It must be fun to read but informative for advanced users. So:
- Information about what moves in the Linux community (kernel stuff etc.)
- Information about applications and interesting new techniques
- Not too much pages on hardware, I just like to call it 'the stuff inside' and do not like reading reviews of CPUs and motherboards big_smile
- Fun: Open source games, fun techniqes in several DEs and applications.

I have bought linux format (http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/) and Linux magazine (http://www.linux-magazine.com/) a couple of times and they seem to be interesting, but perhaps you can give me tips on which I should subscribe to. Which one of these? Or perhaps even another one?

Greetings!

#2 2008-02-22 17:10:36

Zeqadious
Website

Re: Linux magazines

I subscribe to Linux Pro Magazine which I find usually informative.  Sometimes its a definite Hit or Miss.
  They take a specific distro each month and focus on it.  The Magazine features different programming execises and applications they test and they do them on the distro they are focusing on which is a nice twist imo from the run-of-the-mill-this-is-how-its-done-on-ubuntu situations I see often.  There is always an article covering upcoming OSS projects and Kernel news/developments.

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/ has tons of archived editions to check out beforehand if your so inclined.

Zeq

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day"

#3 2008-02-22 17:40:50

jdhore

I've checked out a few linux magazines, i'd have to say, go with Linux Format. For the desktop linux user, it seems to be the best. All the other linux 'mags are for server admins in a corporate environment.

#4 2008-02-22 21:43:03

gazj
Website

I used to have a Linux Format subscription and you always keep them as some have "how to's" that you just know you are going to reference some time and the coverdisk DVD must be a god send for people still on dial up, downloading a Fedora dvd must be a real pain.  The content is very humorous reminds me of Commodore Format when I was younger.  It is a delightful read and I would read it from front to back usually without stopping.  But all in all I stopped after about 18 mths as the articles get a bit repetitive.  How many times can you review Ubuntu?  Even after 6 months has it changed so much?  So now I just pick one up from the news agents shelf if something interesting catches my eye.  They really should try harder to tap into some more uncommon knowledge I think.

Last edited by gazj (2008-02-22 21:55:54)

#5 2008-02-22 23:28:51

mianka

If you understand German, the LINUX USER and  LINUX MAGAZIN are a perfect combo.Coming from the same editors USER is the more practical, MAGAZINE the more "techno-political"(going deeper into technicalities and philosophical backgrounds.)Available in any well assorted magazine shop.There is an English version that rolls the two into one, but I do not now the name for sure,it might be "Linux Magazine"

Also in German is FreeX that deals with the most current free OSses ( Free/Net/OpenBSD and family,Beos,DR-DOS,OpenSolaris,Linux, Unix in general).It is rather technical.Not available in Belgium (www.freex-online.de).

Another one is Linuxlife (German) that is very practical and deals with all levels of users.

In French you have LINUX MAGAZINE/FRANCE (rather technical and thematic) and its more practical sister Linux Pratique.

All these magazines are availeble at IMS-Leuven,so I guess you can find them at IMS-Antwerp,near the cathedral.

#6 2008-02-23 00:48:08

dunc

I've been reading Future's "Format" series since issue 1 of ST/Amiga Format, which must be about 20 years ago now. yikes They're good, but as gazj says, they have a tendency... well, not exactly to be geared towards the less knowledgeable, but to accommodate such a wide range of knowledge that they end up feeling too "heavy" for the newbies and too superficial for gurus. It's still worth reading, though: if you're a distro hopper, the coverdisc saves gigabytes of downloading.

Linux Magazine is good if you want something a bit more technical. It does seem to be an English language edition of the German magazine, mianka, although they go out of their way to hide it. It's almost worth the cover price for Klaus Knopper's column alone. I learned a few useful tricks there.

(Oh, how I wish for a Linux mag like the last year or so of CU Amiga. It went from being one of the worst computer magazines ever to one of the best almost overnight when Amiga Format and Amiga User International closed and it took on about half their staff. Incidentally, a lot of them are at LXF now: Nick Veitch and Neil Bothwick spring to mind. The Dragonfly BSD guy, Matt Dillon, was there too.)

0 Ok, 0:1

#7 2008-02-23 06:13:58

mianka

By the way evdvelde,I am on the HCC stand in Bouwcentrum today and tomorrow (yearly HMC computershow).

#8 2008-04-04 03:59:03

ExxonValdeez

My favorite magazine has always been Linux Format. Like a few others said, it is fairly broad, but the myriad of how-tos is always interesting. Its fairly expensive comparatively but for the amount of content and the DVD, its definitely worth it.

#9 2008-04-04 23:59:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I've always said that all other linux magazines pale in comparison to Linux Journal.  I mean, it's a frigging journal!

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#10 2008-04-06 16:42:47

dunc

By the way, the new Linux Format is out, and there's a picture of my house on page 19! Unfortunately, just at the moment the photo was taken, a hulking great neo-gothic university seems to have got in the way. wink It's there though, about a quarter of a mile in the distance, more or less right in the middle of the frame.

0 Ok, 0:1

Board footer