You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-26 18:26:43

dezza

dhcpd(err, eth0: timed out - warn, eth0: using IPV4LL address 169.254)

I was visiting a friend this weekend helping him converting to Arch and show him the simple and great structure of ArchLinux, but we ran into several problems.

1. We downloaded the latest Overlord release as ftp-install and ran the livecd, started the setup program, but when we came to "Select packages" all it showed was alot of crossfields, but the description wasn't BASE, EXTRA, nor COMMUNITY but "Error", "For", "Expected" instead, so some string were misplaced in this ISO or it has something to do with the problems we had with networking which you can read down below.

2. So we downloaded archboot which I witnessed myself running fine when I was installing Arch on another computer recently. This time it showed up correctly, but said it was unable to fetch the packagelist, although we hit the first point in the setup "Configure Network", said yes to DHCP and it returned "Network configured" we switched to another terminal, popped ifconfig and saw that the IP address wasn't assigned by the router. Therefore we tried to run dhcpcd ourselves, so we killed the instance that the setup-program had started and tried to run it again and then it returned:

[Arch Linux: /]# dhcpd eth0
err, eth0: timed out
warn, eth0: using IPV4LL address 169.254.55.192
[Arch Linux: /]#_
[Arch Linux: /]# hwdetect --net
MODULES=(mii sis900 slhc)
[Arch Linux: /]#_

these modules are loaded and I assume this is correct since the northbridge is called SiS 964, and the chipset itself is SiS 655FX on a ASUS P4S800D-X motherboard.

We have also tried tingeling with rc.conf and setting it to dhcp and static with default gateway, but this won't work neither.

If anyone out there have got a solution I would greatly appreciate it as well as my buddy.

Have a good weekend!

Greets
dezza

#2 2008-08-04 14:51:57

dezza

Re: dhcpd(err, eth0: timed out - warn, eth0: using IPV4LL address 169.254)

Is no one able to answer what is wrong here? I would like to solve this problem for new users having to face the same problem.. Right now we use a highly supported 3com card which works flawlessly, but it would be great if this problem was fixed, to gain the community.

#3 2008-08-04 20:02:12

iryan

First time poster here, so be gentle.

I (think I) had the same issue as the original poster, and was able to resolve it thanks to some advice found elsewhere. I was installing Arch on a new computer on a local subnet, with a DHCP server, but was unable to acquire an IP address from the DHCP server, nor was I able to ping local machines.

lpsci and lsmod both showed that my network card was found, and that the appropriate module (e1000) had been loaded. By assigning an IP address (ifconfig eth0 IP.Add.re.ss), I was able to ping the local subnet without issue.

Mind, I'm still not sure why the DHCP server didn't assign an address to the new computer, but in the Arch install, when prompted to configure the network, when I declined to use DHCP and manually assigned the IP address, gateway and DNS', it worked fine.

Hope this is helpful at all, and GL.

#4 2008-08-05 07:20:25

dezza

For us, we tried setting the IP, gateway, subnet etc. manually to the routers configuration, but this didn't help at all, there is something worse wrong here ..

#5 2008-08-06 21:23:04

jordanwb

The error about DHCP timing out means that the network device did not get a reply from the router. What do you mean by "manually to the routers configuration"?

#6 2008-08-07 06:17:30

dezza

I mean static configuration with the routers subnet, mask, and ip-range.

#7 2008-08-07 12:01:57

Top_se

Huhu, please try to setup a static IP manualy per: (not per rc.conf)

$ ifconfig eth0 <your ip> up

than show the output of

$ ifconfig

to us, please. If there is no RUNNING-flag in your eth0 section with your ethernet-cable plugged in, it points at a driver-issue.

Then try to ping your router and tell us what happens.

If you are able to ping your router now but not e.g. www.google.com than you have to specify a gateway and a dns-server:

$ route add default gw <your router address>

Normaly your router should now be able to act as a nameserver (dns) as well, if not, try to edit /etc/resolv.conf

Top_se

#8 2008-08-08 06:21:34

dezza

Hello .. Will try it this weekend and report back, then I'm back at my friends house to test it ..

Board footer