You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-29 18:13:51

donallen

Udev update/audio cds broken

Audio cds do not work in an up-to-date Arch system as of the time of this post. This is not an Arch problem. It appears to be caused by a bug in udev and there has been a lot of discussion about this in Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, and other forums for something around a year now.

I raise this issue here, though, because Arch is providing a version of udev that is now 4 months old (146-2). A package search shows 150-3 (which is not the latest version -- 151 is, though it only appeared two days ago) in testing, but "orphaned", which gives me concern that no one is working on this. Is my concern valid? While I concede that this is not an earth-shaking problem, it is pretty disappointing not be able to play ones' CDs (you remember what they are, don't you?) as a result of a bug that has been allowed to persist for at least a year. And, I would argue, that udev is a pretty important subsystem, with a reach well beyond whether I get to play my CDs, hence my concern about the "orphaned" status. Can someone involved with the Arch project shed any light on this?

Thanks --
/Don Allen

#2 2010-01-29 23:04:09

jt512

Re: Udev update/audio cds broken

My system is up to date, and I can play CDs.

Jay

#3 2010-01-30 03:02:44

donallen

Consider yourself lucky -- you may have hardware that is not affected by this problem. The symptom I see (along with attempts to play cds not working) is that errors appear in the system log for /dev/sr0 when an audio cd is inserted in the drive. grip doesn't even display the tracks and thinks there's no disc in the drive. There's a lot of chatter about this on the web on the mailing lists of various distributions, such as ubuntu, fedora core (I saw a couple of bug reports filed about this in the fedora core bug database), as well as Arch, and the symptoms described are the same as I am seeing. Apparently it's been diagnosed as a udev problem, as I said in my earlier post.

#4 2010-01-30 12:58:28

Surgat_

Packages in Testing are always orphan because they're temporary. Their real maintainer is the maintainer of the package in Core: in the case of udev, tpowa

#5 2010-01-30 13:13:35

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Have you submitted a bug report to the arch bugtracker on the issue? no? Why are you expecting it to be fixed then?  smile

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2010-01-30 13:14:04)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2010-01-30 13:21:52

donallen

Surgat: Thanks for the info. That eliminates my concern that udev had been abandoned.

Elindig: Why don't you go back and read my original post, carefully this time, and then see if your message makes any sense (hint: it doesn't).

#7 2010-01-30 14:50:17

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Sure it does. When a user know about a bug, he should report it on the arch bug tracker, which greatly increases the chance that it will get fixed in a timely matter.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#8 2010-01-30 15:29:58

kgas

In all my system Audio CDs are playing and in all system is upto date. IIRC one bug report was there and closed. Audio CD can not be mounted. I hope you tried to play with vlc / mplayer.

#9 2010-01-30 15:52:59

zodmaner

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Sure it does. When a user know about a bug, he should report it on the arch bug tracker, which greatly increases the chance that it will get fixed in a timely matter.

+1

Aside from issue about status of udev package, If you currently can't play your audio CD with all packages up-to-date, then it is most likely a bug and should be file to let our devs know about the problem (even if it only occurs on your system).

Incidentally, what program are you using to play your audio CD?

Last edited by zodmaner (2010-01-30 15:56:04)

#10 2010-01-30 22:32:02

donallen

Guys, either you aren't reading carefully or I'm not being clear. This is a bug in udev. It has been reported by numerous people using a number of different Linux distributions (to the responder who suggested that I enter a bug report "even if it's only my system" -- please read more carefully!).

It's been fixed (in fact, reverting to something like v141 also fixes it -- they broke something in the intervening versions). It's not an Arch problem. The new version of udev currently under test should take care of it. Bug databases cluttered with useless noise become that much less valuable and I'm not going to clutter the Arch database with a report about a bug that

a. has been fixed, and
b. is not in their purview.

#11 2010-01-30 22:42:55

KimTjik

So what version of udev has the fix? The one in testing or the just released 151 something?

Anyway, if you check the whole Testing repository there's only one package not orphaned, which is as I can understand an in-house package. I can't explain the structure, but orphaned doesn't seem to suggest it's totally abandoned, but it's at least not dedicated to one maintainer. I stop here, because I don't know, and let the ones who do explain it if necessary.

Board footer