You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-23 01:52:36

harry1985

Minimum video memory requirement for ATI xv acceleration?

I've got a buildin video chip RS690 motherboard and when I try to enable the xv acceleration with the open driver radeon( not radeonhd), I find some strange issues.
firstly, i set the shared video memory as 32M, and the output of xvinfo is no acceleration. then i change the memory to 64M, and the xvinfo turns out some result. I'm wondering is there any minimum requirement for the video memory in this case? I can not find any topics related to this in forum and wiki.
I have 1GB memory totally and as i have to use a virutal machine for WinXP and do not want to touch the swap, I hope to share as less video memory as possible.

BTW, I'm not sure if this is related with the resolution. My monitor is with 1920*1080, connected by DVI. Also, in the bios, i can adjust the frequency for the video chip, from 200MHZ to 600MHZ, currently i set 400MHZ. I'm not sure if this would also impact the xvinfo result.

Here are some more information about my PC.
AMD 3600+ X2
1GB memory (64M shared by video)
ATI RS690 (X1250) motherboard
160GB harddisk
viewsonic vx2433 1920*1080 LCD.

I'm using the 32bit Arch and all corresponding packages are up-to-date. For the xorg.conf, I enabled EXA and composite. No other special setting.

#2 2010-02-23 06:15:52

harry1985

Re: Minimum video memory requirement for ATI xv acceleration?

is there anyone who can answer my questions? or should i post this topic in another place?

#3 2010-02-23 13:08:07

Ultraman

I believe there may be a setting you can put in xorg.conf that may help with Xv, try searching for it, I don't know exactly what it was, only that there was one.

But is there a reason you are using a xorg.conf file? If you have installed HAL and it is running Xorg can auto-detect about everything you need. I am using the radeon driver as well, on a HD4850. I do not use a xorg.conf file and it is working like a charm, with Xv and compositing.

Note: Also bumping your topic within 24hrs is not very proper. Wait at least 24hrs. This is quite an international forum, people live in different timezones, and it's forum etiquette not to bump within 24hrs of posting.

Last edited by Ultraman (2010-02-23 13:09:44)

#4 2010-02-24 07:12:06

harry1985

really thanks Ultraman.
For the xorg.conf, if I use the default xorg.conf by X -configure, it will use XAA, which is not a good choice.
And my question is that whether EXA requires more than 64M video memory. As this is not mentioned anywhere, I believe if this is true, we should add a special notes in wiki.
You know most independent video cards nowadays has more than 256MB video memory while the build-in ones only share few depends on setting.
Anyway, currently i share 128M video memory and turn to the git version. Now everything looks fine for me.
Thanks again.

#5 2010-02-24 12:35:57

syms

harry1985 wrote:

really thanks Ultraman.
For the xorg.conf, if I use the default xorg.conf by X -configure, it will use XAA, which is not a good choice.
And my question is that whether EXA requires more than 64M video memory. As this is not mentioned anywhere, I believe if this is true, we should add a special notes in wiki.
You know most independent video cards nowadays has more than 256MB video memory while the build-in ones only share few depends on setting.
Anyway, currently i share 128M video memory and turn to the git version. Now everything looks fine for me.
Thanks again.

I believe that its your hardware compatibility problem, not shared memory. I have even older card, radeon 9600 and its working smooth with compiz or even kde4 with kwin. Take a look at my device section of xorg.conf, you can try the tweaks which i use, so you will get even smoother experience:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]"
    Driver        "radeon"
    Option          "AccelMethod"         "EXA"
    BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option "AGPMode" "8"
        Option "ColorTiling" "on"
        Option "AccelDFS" "true"
        Option "MigrationHeuristics" "greedy"
        Option "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option "DRI" "on"
EndSection

#6 2010-02-25 00:44:51

harry1985

syms wrote:
harry1985 wrote:

really thanks Ultraman.
Thanks again.

I believe that its your hardware compatibility problem, not shared memory. I have even older card, radeon 9600 and its working smooth with compiz or even kde4 with kwin. Take a look at my device section of xorg.conf, you can try the tweaks which i use, so you will get even smoother experience:

Section "Device"
    Driver        "radeon"
        Option "AGPMode" "8"
        Option "AccelDFS" "true"
        Option "DRI" "on"
EndSection

Hi Syms, my xorg.conf is very similiar with yours, except the AGPMode and MigrationHeuristics. For AGPMode, I'm not sure whether my building card need this and for MigrationHeuristics i do not know what it does. I just follow the suggestion in Wiki.
BTW, what's your resolution? Mine is very high as 1920*1080. I'm not sure if this will also impact the result.

#7 2010-03-06 12:48:42

syms

harry1985 wrote:
syms wrote:
harry1985 wrote:

really thanks Ultraman.
Thanks again.

Section "Device"
    Driver        "radeon"
        Option "AGPMode" "8"
        Option "AccelDFS" "true"
        Option "DRI" "on"
EndSection

Hi Syms, my xorg.conf is very similiar with yours, except the AGPMode and MigrationHeuristics. For AGPMode, I'm not sure whether my building card need this and for MigrationHeuristics i do not know what it does. I just follow the suggestion in Wiki.
BTW, what's your resolution? Mine is very high as 1920*1080. I'm not sure if this will also impact the result.

mine is 1280x1024. well i just tried to set my agp aperture size to 32mb (it was 128mb previously), but compositing works just fine, no lags, no problems at all. so definitely this is your hardware icompatibility problem. check your ram, and be sure that your cpu isnt overclocked.

#8 2010-03-22 00:35:59

harry1985

syms wrote:
harry1985 wrote:
syms wrote:

Section "Device"
    Driver        "radeon"
        Option "AGPMode" "8"
        Option "AccelDFS" "true"
        Option "DRI" "on"
EndSection

mine is 1280x1024. well i just tried to set my agp aperture size to 32mb (it was 128mb previously), but compositing works just fine, no lags, no problems at all. so definitely this is your hardware icompatibility problem. check your ram, and be sure that your cpu isnt overclocked.

I use my computer with all the default setting in BIOS. I believe it is the resolution caused this. There may be some relationship between the resolution and the video memory. Is there any one who can test this? What I know is that with 32MB memroy can not startup DRI on 1920*1080, while 64MB dose.

#9 2010-03-22 00:54:27

Ultraman

What would like to see tested? DRI working on a videocard with 32MB? Or mroe specificly DRI working on a videocard with 32MB that uses the same xf86-video-ati (radeon) driver?

The first I can most certainly try. I have an old Pentium3 with a i815E chipset that has integrated Intel graphics which I can try to get working (but I believe that textured video is not supported below i915). And I also have a Radeon 9000 128MB AGP, which I know works fine in X with DRI.
Also have a nVidia RivaTNT2 PCI with 32MB's I can test, and a card with ATi Rage128 chip which has 32MB (or could be 16MB). The Rage128 does not use the 'radeon' driver tho!
Any preference on what you would like me to try? tongue

Last edited by Ultraman (2010-03-22 00:59:03)

#10 2010-04-02 01:35:42

harry1985

Ultraman wrote:

What would like to see tested? DRI working on a videocard with 32MB? Or mroe specificly DRI working on a videocard with 32MB that uses the same xf86-video-ati (radeon) driver?

The first I can most certainly try. I have an old Pentium3 with a i815E chipset that has integrated Intel graphics which I can try to get working (but I believe that textured video is not supported below i915). And I also have a Radeon 9000 128MB AGP, which I know works fine in X with DRI.
Also have a nVidia RivaTNT2 PCI with 32MB's I can test, and a card with ATi Rage128 chip which has 32MB (or could be 16MB). The Rage128 does not use the 'radeon' driver tho!
Any preference on what you would like me to try? tongue

Hi, Ultraman, here is the test I need your help. Test all these cards, with different resolution, like 1024*768, 1920*1080, to see if this will impact the DRI.
I believe the resolution may impact the DRI.

#11 2010-05-05 13:10:07

harry1985

I have some update. I turn to use a smaller monitor, with 1280*1024. And this time, 32MB memory works fine. As there is no other changes, i can confirm that the video memory will impact the xvinfo result.

Board footer