You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-25 16:16:17

Cdh

Which intel cards DO support vaapi?

I'm not sure if multimedia is the right section and not hardware...

I tried to find something about which intel graphic cards support vaapi and the information i found is not very good.
Something like "G45 or newer" does not really help me...

I have an eee 1000h with intel 945GME running with the i915 driver. I think I cannot use libvaa there.
Some websites say you need poulsbo = GMA 500 (whatever this chip is) or i965?

As I am not very familiar with intels chips this does not really help me:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi

It says "Intel Embedded Graphics Drivers (IEGD)" and this includes support for "Mobile Intel® 945GSE and 945GME Express chipsets" which is my card I think.
Is this included in the i915 or do I need something in addition to this driver or do i need to replace it or am I just misunderstanding what it is saying?

Can someone clear it for me? Maybe with a list of supported cards?

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#2 2010-03-25 16:25:47

Ultraman

Re: Which intel cards DO support vaapi?

I believe using VA-API on Intel hardware is at the moment only fully supported on GMA 500 (Poulsbo). That is the integrated video in the Intel SCH US15W, for the Intel Atom Z5xx series.

Other Intel integrated video solutions that I know of which support hardware accelerated decoding of x264 encoded video are:
- GMA X4500HD (desktop) and GMA 4500MHD (mobile)
- Intel GMA HD (found in the new 32nm Intel Core i3/i5 desktop processor lines and Core i3/5/7 (U)(E/M) processor lines)

But I don't know if the drivers for them have support for VA-API.

Last edited by Ultraman (2010-03-25 16:27:07)

#3 2010-03-27 16:34:48

ypnos

See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=ODEwNg for recent information on this.

With i915 I would say you're out of luck.

#4 2010-04-04 19:07:00

Cdh

Thanks for your answers, I think you are right.

I wonder why intel does not want to publish information. I mean, vaapi is a HUGE improvement for weak/silent PCs with slow cpus and intel onboard graphics.

Freedesktop doesn't do it much better. When they say that IEGD supported cards support vaapi I would think that every card that is supported by the IEGD could do vaapi.

What's so hard in creating a list
Supported graphics adapters: a, b, c
Unsupported graphics adapters: x, y, z

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#5 2010-04-04 20:07:19

skottish
Forum Fellow

Cdh wrote:

Thanks for your answers, I think you are right.

I wonder why intel does not want to publish information. I mean, vaapi is a HUGE improvement for weak/silent PCs with slow cpus and intel onboard graphics.

Freedesktop doesn't do it much better. When they say that IEGD supported cards support vaapi I would think that every card that is supported by the IEGD could do vaapi.

What's so hard in creating a list
Supported graphics adapters: a, b, c
Unsupported graphics adapters: x, y, z

Intel doesn't want to publish the information because of the massive overhaul that they've been doing in their driver model. In short, it's not ready. Freedesktop's Intel implementation is by Intel itself, so they'll only publish what Intel publishes.

The GMA 500 (Poulsbo) is a piece of crap on Linux right now. The most stable driver with any kind of acceptable performance is uvesafb, which has no 3D, hardware decoding support, or color management of any kind. There is no stable driver for this platform for Linux (or even Windows the last time that I checked).

The problem with all of this for desktop users is that desktop Linux is not a priority for Intel. If they have even four developers working full time on the entire Linux stack with desktop use in mind I'd be surprised.

#6 2010-06-30 05:16:02

canolucas

skottish wrote:

Intel doesn't want to publish the information because of the massive overhaul that they've been doing in their driver model. In short, it's not ready. Freedesktop's Intel implementation is by Intel itself, so they'll only publish what Intel publishes.

The GMA 500 (Poulsbo) is a piece of crap on Linux right now. The most stable driver with any kind of acceptable performance is uvesafb, which has no 3D, hardware decoding support, or color management of any kind. There is no stable driver for this platform for Linux (or even Windows the last time that I checked).

The problem with all of this for desktop users is that desktop Linux is not a priority for Intel. If they have even four developers working full time on the entire Linux stack with desktop use in mind I'd be surprised.

And, to complicate this a little more, uvesafb doesn't work with the latest stable kernel at the time of this post (2.6.34)... smile
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19645

so, if you haven't already bought a netbook wich comes with the poulsbo chipset (i envy you), my recommendation is: don't do that, at least for now, because poulsbo support under linux is _very_ uncertain ATM.

Last edited by canolucas (2010-06-30 05:18:39)

Board footer