You are not logged in.

#26 2010-04-15 13:42:06

Ultraman

Re: New testing builds

Installation did not go fine over here.
It had problems creating LVM VG of the PV, and also mkfs.ext4 doesn't seem to implement provided parameters (inode ratio setting, root reserved space minimization and max resize capacity). Maybe my CD was borked (?), although it booted fine and the image hash checks out fine. I fell back to the 2010.03 archboot CD, which worked.
Also my laptop refuses to boot both those images when dd'ed directly to usb key, while my normal PC boots fine off them. Using unetbooting it did boot fine, so i'm blaming the laptop for that little issue.

If you did an installation and it went fine, please report:
- x86_64
- Interactive installation
- netinstall, dual arch image
- Network, Ethernet, DHCP, worked fine, so not really relevant
- /dev/sda[123] used for Windows (was pre-installated on the machine), /dev/sda[567] for Arch Linux. 5 = /boot, 6 swap, 7 LVM PV

I have to say that I have never used AIF to create LVM volumes, normally I do that myself. And for now, I will continue to do so tongue

#27 2010-04-15 15:59:05

mariusmeyer

Installation went fine, no problems whatsoever big_smile
Image: archlinux-2010.04.05-netinstall-i686.iso

VirtualBox 3.1.6 : 8GB virtual drive, 512MB RAM
i686
interactive
partitioned HD into 4 with:
   ext4 for /
   ext3 for /boot
   swap
   jfs for /home

As you see, nothing exotic in my setup, but then again, my real desktop doesn't have anything fancy either.
I will give the iso a spin on it tonight, but will use archlinux-2010.04.05-netinstall-x86_64.iso for that.

Thank you guys for yet another superb ISO image! ^^

#28 2010-04-16 15:24:01

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Ultraman wrote:

It had problems creating LVM VG of the PV, and also mkfs.ext4 doesn't seem to implement provided parameters (inode ratio setting, root reserved space minimization and max resize capacity). Maybe my CD was borked (?), although it booted fine and the image hash checks out fine.
(...)
I have to say that I have never used AIF to create LVM volumes, normally I do that myself. And for now, I will continue to do so tongue

Well, I would appreciate it if you could help us figure out the problem.  I will need a lot more information.
* You checked the hash before burning it, or hashed the burned cd?
* define "had problems" ? what errors did you get, where? can you run `aif -p interactive -d -l` and post your logfile? what do you see on /dev/tty7 etc etc.
* about the ext4 settings, are you saying that you entered options when you were asked "Enter any additional opts for mkfs.ext4", but they were not applied in the filesystem creation step? can you upload the files that are called /tmp/aif/AIF_BLOCKDEVICES and /tmp/AIF_FILESYSTEMS or something like that? (these files are created after you told it how you want your filesystems to be done)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#29 2010-04-16 15:45:59

Ashren
Website

Dieter@be: As I posted in my bug report: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18994?pr … &reported= I believe the problem is caused by the AIF scripts inability to handle spaces in options. I.e. "-s 32M" becomes "-s_32M".

Here is an aif log:

Last login: Fri Apr 16 19:31:24 2010
* To begin installation, run /arch/setup                     *
* You can find documentation at                              *
*  /usr/share/aif/docs/official_installation_guide_en        *
* i18n: Use the 'km' utility to change your keyboard layout  *
*       and console font.                                    *
* If you are looking to install Arch on something more       *
* exotic, such as your kerosene-powered cheese grater,       *
* please consult http://wiki.archlinux.org.                  *
[root@archiso ~]# cd /var
[root@archiso var]# cd log
[root@archiso log]# ls
aif  auth.log  btmp  daemon.log  dmesg.log  errors.log    everything.log    faillog  kernel.log  lastlog  messages.log  old  pacman.log  syslog.log  wtmp
[root@archiso log]# cd aif
[root@archiso aif]# ls
aif.log
[root@archiso aif]# cat aif.log
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_configure exit state was 0
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:03 *** Executing worker intro
[DEBUG UI ] notify: Welcome to the Arch Linux Installation program. The install process is fairly straightforward, and you should run through the options in the order they are presented. If you are unfamiliar with partitioning/making filesystems, you may want to consult some documentation before continuing. You can view all output from commands by viewing your VC7 console (ALT-F7). ALT-F1 will bring you back here.

Note that despite our careful coding and proper testing there may still be bugs in this software.

When you are doing this installation on a system where some data must be preserved, we suggest you make a backup first
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_intro exit state was 0
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:06 *** Executing worker sysprep
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_sysprep exit state was 0
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 1, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (MAIN MENU)
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:07 *** Executing worker select_source
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: net, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Source selection)
[DEBUG UI ] notify: If you wish to load your ethernet modules manually, please do so now in an another terminal.
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_select_source exit state was 0
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:09 *** Executing worker select_source_extras_menu
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 1, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (NET (HTTP/FTP) Installation)
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:10 *** Executing worker runtime_network
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: eth0, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Interface selection)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_yesno: User picked YES
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Please wait.  Polling for DHCP server on eth0...
[DEBUG UI ] notify: The network is configured.
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_runtime_network exit state was 0
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 2, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (NET (HTTP/FTP) Installation)
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:18 *** Executing worker select_mirror
[DEBUG UI ] notify: Keep in mind ftp.archlinux.org is throttled.
Please select another mirror to get full download speed.
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: ftp://ftp.klid.dk, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Mirror selection)
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_select_mirror exit state was 0
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 3, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (NET (HTTP/FTP) Installation)
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_select_mirror exit state was 0
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:27 *** Executing worker runtime_packages
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_runtime_packages exit state was 0
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 2, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (MAIN MENU)
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:28 *** Executing worker set_clock
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 1, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Date/time configuration)
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:29 *** Executing worker interactive_timezone
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: Europe, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Please select a region)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: Copenhagen, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Please select a timezone)
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Setting Timezone to Europe/Copenhagen
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_interactive_timezone exit state was 0
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 2, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Date/time configuration)
[DEBUG MAIN ] Ended_ok? -> Exit state of worker_interactive_timezone was: 0 (if empty. it's not executed yet)
[LOG] 2010-04-16 19:32:37 *** Executing worker interactive_time
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: localtime, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Clock configuration)
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Resetting hardware clock adjustment file
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Syncing clocks (hctosys), hc being localtime ...
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: ntp, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Date/time configuration)
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Syncing clock with internet pool ...
[DEBUG UI ] notify: Synced clock with internet pool successfully.
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Resetting hardware clock adjustment file
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Syncing clocks (systohc), hc being localtime ...
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: return, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Date/time configuration)
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_interactive_time exit state was 0
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 3, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Date/time configuration)
[DEBUG MAIN ] Execute(): worker_interactive_time exit state was 0
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 3, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (MAIN MENU)
[LOG] 2010-04-16 17:32:55 *** Executing worker prepare_disks
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: dev, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Partition Access Method)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: 3, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Prepare Hard Drive)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /dev/sda1, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: ext4, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Select filesystem)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /boot, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Select the mountpoint)
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_string: user entered 
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /dev/sda2, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: lvm-pv, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Select filesystem)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /dev/sda2+, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG UI ] notify: Automatically picked the LVM_Volumegroup filesystem.  It's the only option for lvm-pv blockdevices
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_string: user entered vgsystem
[DEBUG UI ] notify: Automatically picked PV /dev/sda2 to use for this VG.  It's the only available lvm PV
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_string: user entered -s 32M
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /dev/mapper/vgsystem, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: empty, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage LV's on this VG)
[DEBUG UI ] notify: Automatically picked the LVM_Logical_Volume filesystem.  It's the only option for lvm-vg blockdevices
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_string: user entered lvroot
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_number: user entered: 2000
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvroot, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: ext4, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Select filesystem)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Select the mountpoint)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /dev/mapper/vgsystem, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: empty, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage LV's on this VG)
[DEBUG UI ] notify: Automatically picked the LVM_Logical_Volume filesystem.  It's the only option for lvm-vg blockdevices
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_string: user entered lvswap
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_number: user entered: 1024
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_string: user entered -C y
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_string: user entered lvvar
[DEBUG UI ] _dia_ask_number: user entered: 2000
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvswap, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: swap, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Select filesystem)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvvar, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: /var, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Select the mountpoint)
[DEBUG UI ] dia_ask_option: ANSWER_OPTION: DONE, returncode (skip/cancel): 0 (Manage filesystems)
[DEBUG FS ] process_filesystems Called.  checking all entries in /tmp/aif/aif-blockdata
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Phase 1: Creating filesystems & blockdevices
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/sda1 ext4 /boot no_opts no_label no_params ->Still need to do it: Making the filesystem on a non-pv volume
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Making ext4 filesystem on /dev/sda1
[DEBUG FS ] process_filesystem /dev/sda1
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/sda2 lvm-pv no_mountpoint no_opts no_label no_params ->Still need to do it: Making the filesystem on a non-pv volume
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Making lvm-pv filesystem on /dev/sda2
[DEBUG FS ] process_filesystem /dev/sda2
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/sda2+ lvm-vg no_mountpoint -s_32M vgsystem /dev/sda2 ->Still need to do it: Making the filesystem on a pv volume
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Making lvm-vg filesystem on /dev/sda2+
[DEBUG UI ] show_warning 'process_filesystem error': Error creating filesystem lvm-vg on /dev/sda2. (msg)
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem lvm-lv no_mountpoint no_opts lvroot 2000M ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem lvm-lv no_mountpoint -C_y lvswap 1024M ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem lvm-lv no_mountpoint no_opts lvvar 2000M ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvroot ext4 / no_opts no_label no_params ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvswap swap no_mountpoint no_opts no_label no_params ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvvar ext4 /var no_opts no_label no_params ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/sda1 ext4 /boot no_opts no_label no_params ->Already done
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/sda2 lvm-pv no_mountpoint no_opts no_label no_params ->Already done
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/sda2+ lvm-vg no_mountpoint -s_32M vgsystem /dev/sda2 ->Still need to do it: Making the filesystem on a pv volume
[DEBUG UI ] show_warning 'process_filesystem error': Error creating filesystem lvm-vg on /dev/sda2. (msg)
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem lvm-lv no_mountpoint no_opts lvroot 2000M ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem lvm-lv no_mountpoint -C_y lvswap 1024M ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem lvm-lv no_mountpoint no_opts lvvar 2000M ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvroot ext4 / no_opts no_label no_params ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvswap swap no_mountpoint no_opts no_label no_params ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvvar ext4 /var no_opts no_label no_params ->Cannot do right now...
[DEBUG FS ] /dev/sda2 lvm-pv no_mountpoint no_opts no_label no_params ->Already done
[DEBUG UI ] show_warning 'Filesystem/blockdevice processor problem': Warning: Could not create all needed filesystems.  Either the underlying blockdevices didn't became available in 10 iterations, or process_filesystem failed (msg)
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Phase 2: Mounting filesystems
[DEBUG UI ] infofy: Mounting /dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvroot (ext4) on /

aif-blockdata:

[root@archiso aif]# cat /tmp/aif/aif-blockdata
/dev/sda1 raw no_label ext4;yes;/boot;target;no_opts;no_label;no_params
/dev/sda2 raw no_label lvm-pv;yes;no_mountpoint;target;no_opts;no_label;no_params
/dev/sda2+ lvm-pv no_label lvm-vg;yes;no_mountpoint;target;-s_32M;vgsystem;/dev/sda2
/dev/mapper/vgsystem lvm-vg vgsystem lvm-lv;yes;no_mountpoint;target;no_opts;lvroot;2000M|lvm-lv;yes;no_mountpoint;target;-C_y;lvswap;1024M|lvm-lv;yes;no_mountpoint;target;no_opts;lvvar;2000M
/dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvroot lvm-lv lvroot ext4;yes;/;target;no_opts;no_label;no_params
/dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvswap lvm-lv lvswap swap;yes;no_mountpoint;target;no_opts;no_label;no_params
/dev/mapper/vgsystem-lvvar lvm-lv lvvar ext4;yes;/var;target;no_opts;no_label;no_params

#30 2010-04-16 21:16:24

DSpider

How can I boot it with grub4dos ?

Since you switched to isolinux it doesn't work with my previous menu.lst configuration:

title Arch Linux 2010.04.05-netinstall-i686\nA lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep It Simple.
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook
root (hd0,0)
map /boot/archlinux-2010.04.05-netinstall-i686.iso (0xff) || map --mem /boot/archlinux-2010.04.05-netinstall-i686.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
configfile /grub4dos.lst || chainloader (0xff)

Not even with:

title Arch Linux 2010.04.05-netinstall-i686\nA lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep It Simple.
map --unhook
root (hd0,0)
map /boot/archlinux-2010.04.05-netinstall-i686.iso (0xff) || map --mem /boot/archlinux-2010.04.05-netinstall-i686.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

Why is that ?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#31 2010-04-18 10:34:27

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Ultraman, Ashren and others: there was indeed an issue with additonal options for mkfs.*/cryptsetup/.. etc not being processed correctly, and causing problems when creating blockdevices/filesystems with custom options.

however, this should now be fixed.
there are new packages online and how to test them is explained @ http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18994

I will roll new images with the new packages soon. feel free to try the new packages in the meantime.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#32 2010-04-18 16:05:47

Ashren
Website

Dieter@be: Problem seems to be solved with LVM (the only one I tested). Thanks.

#33 2010-04-20 19:33:08

Ultraman

Dieter@be wrote:
Ultraman wrote:

It had problems creating LVM VG of the PV, and also mkfs.ext4 doesn't seem to implement provided parameters (inode ratio setting, root reserved space minimization and max resize capacity). Maybe my CD was borked (?), although it booted fine and the image hash checks out fine.
(...)

Well, I would appreciate it if you could help us figure out the problem.  I will need a lot more information.
* You checked the hash before burning it, or hashed the burned cd?

Checked it before burning. So the image was alright, burn could have bumped over a bit tho.

* define "had problems" ? what errors did you get, where? can you run `aif -p interactive -d -l` and post your logfile? what do you see on /dev/tty7 etc etc.

Failure to create LVM VG. The system is installed at the moment, if you really want I could grab another PC and try similar settings, but seems you fixed the bug after all wink Let me know if you want it tested again.

* about the ext4 settings, are you saying that you entered options when you were asked "Enter any additional opts for mkfs.ext4", but they were not applied in the filesystem creation step?

Yes. I'm positive they did not get applied at creation of the filesystem. I change inode ratio (and some others, but that one it most noticeable); filesystem creation took far too long and after reading out the superblock I calculated that the inode size I told it to use was not applied.

can you upload the files that are called /tmp/aif/AIF_BLOCKDEVICES and /tmp/AIF_FILESYSTEMS or something like that? (these files are created after you told it how you want your filesystems to be done)

Since your last posts says you fixed something, I bet you won't be needing those anymore. If I am mistaken, let me know and I'll see if I can reproduce.
Thanks for the fixes smile

#34 2010-04-20 21:03:44

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

yep. the stuff you encountered should now all be fixed

4 8 15 16 23 42

#35 2010-04-22 14:41:15

Fersure

When is a stable release likely to be announced?

#36 2010-04-22 17:25:23

balinbob

Hi Dieter, I installed from the original a couple of days ago, not the net-install but
from the image.  I created a couple of LVM volumes in another console and everything
went fine.  The LVM was not encrypted, etc, just a volume group with a couple of
volumes.

This was on AMD64.  The only problem I had was that grub would not start, just
got the 'GRUB' message and didn't get the 2nd stage.  It was installed to the mbr
(not a partition).  I have another grub I'm booting it fine with however.

Did an update right away not much to update at this point.  Thank you much  for
your work!

Bob

#37 2010-04-23 22:01:55

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Fersure wrote:

When is a stable release likely to be announced?

when all known issues (ie http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?project=6&reported[]=66) have been fixed. the more help i get, the faster this list shrinks wink

then i will build new isos, which, after testing can become official releases.

balinbob wrote:

Hi Dieter, I installed from the original a couple of days ago, not the net-install but
from the image.  I created a couple of LVM volumes in another console and everything
went fine.  The LVM was not encrypted, etc, just a volume group with a couple of
volumes.

This was on AMD64.  The only problem I had was that grub would not start, just
got the 'GRUB' message and didn't get the 2nd stage.  It was installed to the mbr
(not a partition).  I have another grub I'm booting it fine with however.

Did an update right away not much to update at this point.  Thank you much  for
your work!

Bob

you know you can use the installer do take care of lvm right..
the grub thing, can maybe explained by incorrect configuration of grub (with the lvm etc)

4 8 15 16 23 42

#38 2010-04-25 19:15:04

karol
Archivist

Installation went fine. My setup:
- interactive
- netinstall 32-bit
- dhcp + autoprepare disk

#39 2010-04-25 20:35:41

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

It worked for me, although I were dissapointed when there was no btrfs alternative. I had to fix that with chroot manually afterwards, which was a huge pain in the ass. There weren't any ways to use an already existing btrfs either.
netinstall,32-bit,dhcp,manual partitioning,interactive,ntp

#40 2010-04-25 22:11:33

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

hatten wrote:

It worked for me, although I were dissapointed when there was no btrfs alternative. I had to fix that with chroot manually afterwards, which was a huge pain in the ass. There weren't any ways to use an already existing btrfs either.

What do you mean by 'btrfs alternative' ?
Do you mean btrfs option?

#41 2010-04-26 09:24:19

Borosai

Successful installation here. I must say I like the changes/improvements quite a bit. Nice work.

- 2010.04.19 netinstall i686
- interactive installation
- dhcp network setup (ethernet)
- manual time setup
- manual disk setup (no lvm or encryption)
    - 3 primary partitions;ext2, swap, ext4; no additional options; no labels

While setting the filesystems/mountpoints, I noticed /dev/sda as an option, which I haven't seen in the previous installers. I also noticed two /dev/sda entries in the bootloader installation dialog. I doubt these are intentional, but since I'm not sure, I decided to mention them. However, they didn't affect my installation.

#42 2010-04-26 18:12:46

filoktetes

No problems with core-i686 install from usb on my eee901. smile
But the change from vim to vi came as a surprise for me, and since I couldn't change my mind and use nano without quitting the installer, I had to figure out how it worked, just to get the most important parts configured...

#43 2010-04-27 18:58:27

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Misfit138 wrote:
hatten wrote:

btrfs will still be in testing for quite a while. maybe i could incorporate support into aif and make it available if you do `aif --expert` or something. patches welcome cool

4 8 15 16 23 42

#44 2010-04-27 19:54:06

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Dieter@be wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:
hatten wrote:

btrfs will still be in testing for quite a while. maybe i could incorporate support into aif and make it available if you do `aif --expert` or something. patches welcome cool

Just to be clear, I was not suggesting btrfs be available. I was merely requesting hatten to clarify his meaning.

#45 2010-04-28 20:11:43

extofme
Website

Dieter@be wrote:

btrfs will still be in testing for quite a while. maybe i could incorporate support into aif and make it available if you do `aif --expert` or something. patches welcome

i have done quite a bit of work with btrfs in general and would like to see an option.  i have only done limited work with AIF.  when i installed my machine onto a btrfs root, via another terminal, i manually created the filesystem and mounted it to the appropriate places for installation. at the mount part of interactive installation, i let it fail.  i just fixed the fstab later.

i will open another thread for general ideas on btrfs integration points into Arch, but installation options are important.  i have recently updated the mkinitcpio-hook in AUR to support rollback features; this is functional today.  if we can get something of that nature into official repos, and patch AIF to support a 'btrfs' mount/creation handler (im not sure the code yet), we could have rollback support in rolling distro, and more people would be willing to try the bleeding edge with zero(ish) risk.

there needs to be some discussion of default layout/mount options/etc., as there are some ramifications to how btrfs exposes subvolumes (as folders).  we can do some really interesting and exotic things with subvolumes, independent mount options, and snapshotting. we get to think about the "subroot" structure; the hierarchy under the root device.

im going off course; ill start looking into AIF, and try to create patches/packages for integrating btrfs.

what am i but an extension of you?

#46 2010-04-29 11:07:32

piezoelectric

How come the dual images were not updated on the 19th along with the rest? Will they be?

#47 2010-04-30 15:35:02

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

extofme wrote:

there needs to be some discussion of default layout/mount options/etc., as there are some ramifications to how btrfs exposes subvolumes (as folders).  we can do some really interesting and exotic things with subvolumes, independent mount options, and snapshotting. we get to think about the "subroot" structure; the hierarchy under the root device.

im going off course; ill start looking into AIF, and try to create patches/packages for integrating btrfs.

Definitely, btrfs goes beyond what other FS'es do, and it may not be straightforward to integrate all subtle details into aif, although the most common features should be possible.
thanks for wanting to help out on integrating the support.
the initcpio hook seems cool. post it on arch-general if you haven't yet. Thomas might merge it if he likes it.

piezoelectric wrote:

How come the dual images were not updated on the 19th along with the rest? Will they be?

new testing images (with dual images) will come soon.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#48 2010-04-30 17:00:05

kgas

One more installation went well on new Sony vaio laptop (VPCCW26FA/B). This time 64 bit.
Why the modules array has many things banged? With modules auto load option will it not work?
Thanks

#49 2010-04-30 19:27:53

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

kgas wrote:

One more installation went well on new Sony vaio laptop (VPCCW26FA/B). This time 64 bit.
Why the modules array has many things banged? With modules auto load option will it not work?
Thanks

roll:rolleyes:
"64 bit", now i really know which image you're using... "many things banged", uhm whatever.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#50 2010-04-30 20:34:08

falconindy
Developer
Website

! = bang, aka disabled.

Board footer