You are not logged in.

#51 2007-12-30 00:08:07

barry

Re: » The Best Light and Fast Applications - 2007 LnF Awards

WM: Openbox but once I get my head round the config file I will be switching to xmonad
Terminal: urxvt
Browser: Firefox
Email: pine
Music: mpd/sonata
Text editor: vim (leafpad if I need a gui)
Image editor: Gimp
Image viewer: Ristretto (or feh)
File manager: Thunar
Burning: Graveman
Torrents: transmission (in daemon mode)
Video player: vlc
Communications: pidgin
System monitor: htop

#52 2008-01-11 21:20:08

dyscoria

Music Player: moc

Surprised that moc hasn't come up more often. It came into my life via the SourceTrunk podcast and it was the answer to all my troubles. Still trying to figure out what the lightest application available for iPod's is though. Unfortunately my iPod is incompatible with iPod-Linux so going to have to make do with gktpod or something similar. Any recommendations?

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#53 2008-01-12 00:41:01

sm4tik
Website

DE/WM: FVWM for me, XFCE for others
Terminal: aterm, urxvt
Email: Claws-mail
Music: mpd+ncmpc, sonata
Editor: trying to switch from nano to vim. If gui needed then nedit, gvim, leafpad
Image editor: gimp if machine affords it, else mtpaint
Image viewer: gqview, mirage, feh. Still haven't made up my mind
File manager: terminal, rox every once in a while
Torrents: transmission, deluge
Video: mplayer (not gui!)
Communication: pidgin

@ Barry:Graveman looks nice! I had't seen it before..

Still lacking a decent light weight browser.. Many exist, but lack things I consider important, so currently sticking with FF

Last edited by sm4tik (2008-01-12 00:43:02)

#54 2008-01-12 04:25:58

Sole

Onyros wrote:

Hya! Noob posting, but I've been lurking for a while now.

Music Player: XMMS. It's unbeatable... lightest on resources there is, even than any terminal app, apart from, probably, cplay (which I also use)
Image Viewer: gPicview (same developper as PCManFM)

Nice, never knew of gPicview, it has all I need (just back and forward) and it launches quite fast. Going to give xmms a try later.

#55 2008-01-12 13:06:37

unixlust

WM: dwm
Browser: Firefox + vimperator (can't find a good replacement for it. No, not Opera)
Email: Gmail's web interface, sometimes mutt-ng
Music: mpd/ncmpc
Text editor: vim
Image viewer: feh
File manager: cp, mv, ls, rarely mc
Burning: cdrkit
Torrents: rtorrent
Video: mplayer
IM: bitlbee/irssi
IRC: irssi
PDF: epdfview
CHM: xchm
screen (I don't know in which category should I fit this one)
Download manager: aria2, wget

#56 2008-01-12 20:47:48

b9anders

Some interesting choices in this. Especially pertinent for me, as I am now down to 256 mb ram at the moment (I'm afraid I took my friend's extra 256mb block for granted - until he needed it back sad ) and in even more need to minimise my resources.

I am typing this from Midori which I've just installed (gotta love debian - need alpha software? just switch on the experimental repo) - feels incredibly fast and light I must say. Now I just have to work out how to use it.

Also, nice to see such widespread support for opera. I was beginning to wonder if it was only me who could see its advantages to firefox on other fora where firefox enjoys virtual monopoly.

#57 2008-01-12 21:35:31

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

@  b9anders

You could also give a try to Elinks, it's one of the best browsers I have ever found. Of couse it is text-only, but it's excellent in features and usability, you just have to dig it.
For low ram usage I think it's a good option. I use it very extensively, even though I have enough RAM to run Opera, for example.

If you also need graphics, don't forget w3m supports in-line images (you need to recompile it with the --enable-image=x11,fb flag).

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#58 2008-01-13 07:25:58

N30N

finferflu wrote:

You could also give a try to Elinks, it's one of the best browsers I have ever found.

Yeah elinks is great, I particularly like using it as a news reader with the mobile version of google reader (while I wait to see how nrss 4.0 turns out).

#59 2008-01-13 16:50:12

lilsirecho
Veteran

As to "light" the FaunOS system application is physically "light" since it is a 1GB USB flash device.

As to "fast". you cannot beat "install to ram" in Faunos for "fast" performance because ram is the fastest for any system.....
EDIT:  Even "lighter", use compact flash.

Even faster.....use compact flash/IDE adapter.

Even "lighter", install compact flash/IDE into ram...remove compact flash

Last edited by lilsirecho (2008-01-13 19:18:15)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#60 2008-01-22 00:58:09

venky80

any of LnF  application gurus suggest me a voice chat / video chat application which is not tied to gnome/KDE i mean which is light and fast?

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#61 2008-01-23 03:53:16

omp
Website

gentoo
openbox
irssi
vim
mpd
ncmp
rtorrent

boo!

#62 2008-01-25 15:17:40

stefan1975

sebleblanc wrote:

WM: Explorer.exe rocks my socks, it can do lots of things !
Thanks!

well really impressive especially considering the fact that Vista's Window manager is called DWM

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa969540.aspx

I'd be really impressed if you could actually use your file manager as a WM.

stefan

"root# su - bofh"
Desktop Hardware: Dell Precision M65 laptop, core2duo, 2gb, 80gb 7200rpm
Registered linux user #459910 since 1998

#63 2008-05-02 04:56:52

prasetyams

OS
Arch. No argue here.

DE
Xfce. Lightweight, fast, looks ultra-cool

MUSIC
Quodlibet in XFCE, MPD+ncmpc in console.

VIDEO
mplayer, with no gui. superfast, n plays anything. makes it a default player
for every movie-types in Thunar

IMAGING
The GIMP. Are there anything else?

PDF
Evince

TEXT
geany. tabs, syntax-highlighting, collapse-expand btn ala TextMate

TORRENT
rtorrent. it's always on, runs on bootup.

BROWSER, FEED READER, MAIL CLIENT
Firefox, the ueber alles browser

IM
Pidgin. It's not as customizable as miranda but, hey, it works

OFFICE
OpenOffice

Where's my sig?

#64 2008-05-02 07:50:43

coarseSand

It's five months into 2008 now. Why did you resurrect this?

vim? EMACS? Pssh, I code in Scribus.

#65 2008-05-02 08:31:50

dyscoria

Hmm give the guy a break man! It's not like this thread isn't useful. It's especially useful for the arch new comer who's looking for software that isn't as bloated as the default Ubuntu/Mandriva stuff.

And prasetyams, welcome to Arch!

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#66 2008-05-02 09:52:16

chris_ak

dyscoria wrote:

Hmm give the guy a break man! It's not like this thread isn't useful. It's especially useful for the arch new comer who's looking for software that isn't as bloated as the default Ubuntu/Mandriva stuff.

And prasetyams, welcome to Arch!

Agreed!  I wouldn't have found this thread otherwise - I got a lot of good info out of it.  Keep it alive!  or maybe not.

#67 2008-05-02 17:11:29

dunc

chris_ak wrote:

Agreed!  I wouldn't have found this thread otherwise - I got a lot of good info out of it.  Keep it alive!

Well, in that case...

prasetyams wrote:

IMAGING
The GIMP. Are there anything else?

Krita, but it's hardly "fast and light", especially if you don't use KDE.

TEXT
geany. tabs, syntax-highlighting, collapse-expand btn ala TextMate

Not sure about that. I've been trying Geany lately and it's very good, but I haven't found it particularly fast. Medit is similar (not quite as heavily featured, it's true) and feels a lot faster here. And the fastest, lightest GUI text editor is surely Mouse/Leafpad.

BROWSER, FEED READER, MAIL CLIENT
Firefox, the ueber alles browser

If any other browser had RSS feed handling as good as the Sage plugin, I'd uninstall Firefox in an instant (and no, a separate app doesn't count tongue ). I don't use KDE, but I find myself using Konqueror more and more often for general non-RSS browsing. Not light though (unless you do use it inside KDE).

OFFICE
OpenOffice

If you're looking for "lightweight" and you only ever use one of the apps from the OO suite, Abiword or Gnumeric might be a better bet.

0 Ok, 0:1

#68 2008-05-02 19:22:56

floke

Great thread - and very useful.

Can't add much to the above (leafpad, midori - when it has support for cookies and flash it will rock my world) - except for burning - how about wodim - and for downloading, try axel.

(oh yeah - and OS - Arch, what else?)

Last edited by floke (2008-05-02 19:24:25)

#69 2008-05-03 08:37:08

prasetyams

hm? sorry i didn't read the date, i always read the content smile my bad. thx guys. i am new to arch (5 days) so basically every single thing in this forum helps me.

Where's my sig?

#70 2008-05-03 09:30:08

coarseSand

I'm in no way opposed to this thread's topic, in fact I pretty much use all of the LnF applications that are listed in here. But why resurrect the 2007 thread? It's time for the 2008 LnF Candidate thread! Which I will do tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it, because I'm tired and lazy.

vim? EMACS? Pssh, I code in Scribus.

#71 2008-05-03 12:17:11

krum

At the age of C2D and xGB of RAM, I don't care a lot about ligh applications in terms of memory usage.
I do care about fast responsivness.

But my new battle is to check with powertop all my applications.
I prefer to gain 30min on my laptop than 50MB big_smile

Last edited by krum (2008-05-03 12:17:27)

#72 2008-05-04 07:08:45

TjPhysicist
Website

I could use more LnF apps if i switched to xfce, i did for a bit, but i still like a bit of eyecandy when i am using X. So here is my list of what I use.

WM: Compiz
DM: GDM
File processing etc: CLI  (mv, cd, ls, and little scripts i wrote etc), sometime i use nautilus (its on to display my desktop in gnome, so i use it at times for doing simple things which will take much too much typing in CLI (like copy over 1 file to somewhere where both the directory paths become 1 line long each)
term: xterm or gnome-terminal. Most of the time just switch to vc/1 - 6
Browser: links, firefox (links is amazing i have found, a bit better than lynx, just a wee bit in term of look/usability as far as i can tell).
torrent: rtorrent (when i feel like not having bt use my X, or hog up memory: cuz i am using my PC at the same time), or transmission, when i am just leaving it on for torrenting.
messaging: pidgin
irc: pidgin,irssi (still learning irssi)
text editing: vim/gvim
audio: mpc + mpd+ scripts i wrote.
video: mplayer + more scripts
word processing: vim + latex (I ALWAYS do this in vc i.e. I rarely even start up X for this).
image: comix, picasa (picasa is not THAT fast or light, but i have been using it from my windows days, and i still have the same configs etc, so i jst use it).

As you can see I am starting to turn into much of a CLI fan, specially after using Arch. One of the main reasons for me coming back to linux in the begining WAS the CLI, i missed it in windows. But with Arch i have started to really apreciate the power and versatility of CLI apps that can do things from Editing to torrent and messaging. Some would say I should use xfce, since most of the stuff i do day to day happens in terminal or a CLI. But i like my eye candy. And i have a comfort level with gnome that will take a while to get to with xfce or *box.

-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-05-04 07:17:24)

-Tj
Now reborn as Tjh_ (to keep it similar to my username in other places)

#73 2008-05-04 18:32:17

dav7

WM: (hacked) Openbox + (hacked) tint + xcompmgr
FM: Coreutils for basic management, Thunar for sorting stuff out (when..)
Shell: bash. I spent half an hour with the zsh setup thingy then found it wouldn't work with my bash prompt, so dropped it and have never touched it since. Plus, most scripts use bash, AND it's GNU, so... big_smile
Web: Firefox 3b4 (v3 is just great, but b5 seems unstable)
Editor: Primarily Geany, sometimes nano (I have a few gripes with it tho), for the occasional edit Leafpad
IRC: Irssi w/ screen over key-auth ssh
IM: None, will use Bitlbee when the protocol confusion that is IM sparks my interest again
Video: Can has new hardware? Well, for the occasional video, I open Xnest and somehow it just works. Trying to play video on my "real" X display just fails with resource allocation failures.
Music: I hate this: XMPlay (a Winfailure app) on WINE on another computer which I VNC to. I wish someone would write a player around the Linux version of the lib XMPlay is based off... mad
Programming language: PHP FTW!!1, Perl is "interesting" (read: I'll probably switch to it... sometime). Python can go decompile itself and segfault XD
System Monitor/Panel: Well, I'm using Conky for a clock, and I'd use it for more if it supported icons, like dzen does. I'd use dzen if it supported transparent backgrounds like Conky does.
Desktop notifications: libnotify (aka notify-send) is just awesome. I've convinced Irssi to cooperate with it across the network. big_smile
Email + Anti-spam: Gmail's web interface
Image viewer: Feh for most things, when I want to see a pile of images at once I try to make do.
Image Editing: Kolourpaint mostly, just downloaded mtpaint and am yet to try it. Cannot figure out the GIMP and have regarded it the world's best worst UI.
PDF viewing: Kpdf
Effects: xcompmgr pretty much is the limit here.
P2P: None, torrenting is fixed in my head as "illegal" despite people's claims that it's not so. Plus, I do enough downloading already and need a new HDD. Or 10... I need a SAS >_<
NNTP: None atm
Process monitoring: htop, recently discovered its "F2" key and am still fiddling with its 973465987265827 options.
Word Processing: Lotus Symphony doesn't exactly want to work, and I do have OOo installed... but to be honest I don't "do" WP all that much.

I don't think that's everything... but my memory doesn't want to cooperate anymore so I'll leave it at that for now. tongue

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#74 2008-05-04 18:53:26

moljac024

OS: Windows Vista SP1 (blazing fast, extremely small memory footprint)
Terminal: What is a terminal ?
IRC: What ? Just stick with Windows live messenger
Editor: MS Word 2007
Programming language: Java, baby!
Effects: Aero (requires only 2GB of RAM and can get along with only one high-end graphics card)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#75 2008-05-04 19:07:32

dav7

* != moljac024

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

Board footer