You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-05 16:46:09

kensai
Website

Arch Linux Newsletter for May 5, 2008 Discussion

Once again this thread is created to discuss any topic that is covered on the Arch Linux Newsletter. And if you have suggestions, please share them with us here.

The Arch Linux Newsletter team has been reduced, consisting of Dusty Phillips, Ronald Van Haren, and me (Eduardo Romero). This simplifies our work and makes us better organize our thoughts, ideas and newsletter improvements. Later on, we might start looking for Translators again.

I hope the next newsletter have more stuff on it, I am on a tight schedule since I am on finals, hopefully, next week is the last one of University.:D

Non visible improvements in this newsletter is the usual code cleanup, fo better performance, I know it isn't a heavy page, but still is better to have a clean code to work with, removing obsolete HTML code.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#2 2008-05-05 18:25:02

Sigi

Re: Arch Linux Newsletter for May 5, 2008 Discussion

Good work, kensai and all the other authors! I translated a third of the last newsletter into german but it never got published sad I'm still waiting for an answer from the other translators. Due to time constrains and the disappointment after my last attempt to contribute something to the german Arch community I'm retiring from my "translator job".

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#3 2008-05-05 18:32:53

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Great newsletter!

#4 2008-05-05 18:37:03

kensai
Website

Sigi wrote:

Good work, kensai and all the other authors! I translated a third of the last newsletter into german but it never got published sad I'm still waiting for an answer from the other translators. Due to time constrains and the disappointment after my last attempt to contribute something to the german Arch community I'm retiring from my "translator job".

Is ok man, I know translators had a pretty rough job, even I would have not touched it. The previous newsletter was huge, hence why there were no translations, that job is to be resumed after a while, when we get a way to organize things a bit more. Thanks anyways for the interest so far.

@ Cerebral, Thanks.

#5 2008-05-05 18:56:47

Sigi

kensai wrote:
Sigi wrote:

Is ok man, I know translators had a pretty rough job, even I would have not touched it. The previous newsletter was huge, hence why there were no translations, that job is to be resumed after a while, when we get a way to organize things a bit more. Thanks anyways for the interest so far.

@ Cerebral, Thanks.

No you got me wrong. I've had my part translated and sent it to "someone" (Who is irrelevant).

#6 2008-05-05 19:41:19

kensai
Website

Sigi wrote:

No you got me wrong. I've had my part translated and sent it to "someone" (Who is irrelevant).

No I didn't I knew you did your part. Thank you for the job, man.

A bit of some news here, the newsletter is going to be converted to git from svn, so thats part of the organization. Thanks to Linus Torvalds for making this great utility called git.

#7 2008-05-05 19:46:29

Sigi

kensai wrote:
Sigi wrote:

No I didn't I knew you did your part. Thank you for the job, man.

You're welcome smile & neutral

#8 2008-05-05 20:06:09

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I think that the explanation Dusty gave about community contributions should be put in a sticky thread, to easily link it.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#9 2008-05-05 22:13:03

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

finferflu wrote:

I think that the explanation Dusty gave about community contributions should be put in a sticky thread, to easily link it.

Here's a link!: :-)
http://archlinux.org/static/newsletters … ontributed

Dusty

#10 2008-05-21 15:14:09

kensai
Website

Hi guys, someone pointed me to the fact that the two questions that I do on the Arch Linux Newsletter interview, Are you addicted to tacos? and Do you think Aaron Griffin can lift a car over his head? are being over used. As much as I agree, I still want to hear all you opinions about it, should I stop asking those two questions? I just kept asking them because I thought it might be interesting to hear the answers of thos questions by all of the developers, they sometimes tend to come up with some funny stuff. But, well, is your call guys, you tell me.

#11 2008-05-21 15:24:39

dolby

Totally off topic but Dusty is banned? WTF? I was about to say i love Dusty's contributions to the newsletter.
Regarding kensai's question: if you are gonna replace those two questions by other ones yes. Otherwise no.

Last edited by dolby (2008-05-21 15:24:50)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#12 2008-05-21 15:26:14

kensai
Website

dolby wrote:

Totally off topic but Dusty is banned? WTF? I was about to say i love Dusty's contributions to the newsletter.

LOL, it is a joke to him, he hasn't seen it I guess, but he is not banned, it is just his title. big_smile Yeah, his contributions are top notch.

So people, keep commenting on the two questions. Don't go off topic, Dusty will know when the time comes. big_smile

#13 2008-05-25 14:53:08

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'm focusing on newsletter contributions and the Arch Schwag shop now, leaving the forum moderation to newer and more interested members (who are doing a terrific job). My new title was apparently set by Simo and Eduardo when I asked to have my admin privileges revoked.

Dusty

#14 2008-05-25 15:18:29

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

I changed your title Dusty. I couldn't look at the 'Banned' tags anymore. (Shame on Simo!)
I also couldn't decide between 'Veteran' or 'Senior Taco Taster', so I put both tongue
Let me know which one is more appropriate, unless having both is best.

#15 2008-05-25 16:03:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Misfit138 wrote:

I changed your title Dusty. I couldn't look at the 'Banned' tags anymore. (Shame on Simo!)
I also couldn't decide between 'Veteran' or 'Senior Taco Taster', so I put both tongue
Let me know which one is more appropriate, unless having both is best.

Probably 'Arch Merchant' or some play on the Schwag shop would be most suitable. 'Kensai's English Grammar Mechanic' is simply too long. :-D

Dusty

Board footer