You are not logged in.

#601 2008-12-09 15:27:38

Determination

Re: Acer Aspire One

thomasd, I can confirm that it's not happening everytime; about 50% of the time. Very odd.

#602 2008-12-09 21:50:43

sessy

thomasd wrote:
sessy wrote:

Since the upgrade to the latest kernel ("official", not "-one") I have no networking. Lan does not work (dhcp times out), iwlist wlan0 scan returns nothing.
What would be the steps to fix wireless? I can't makepkg, since I have no net (I can transfer files via usb tho).

Do you have 2.6.27.7 from extra? I have no problems with the wireless networking with this version.

I have tried the latest kernel and the older one wich worked fine in the past (2.6.26.5).

I can list the interface with iwconfig, but iwlist wlan0 scan returns nothing. A yellow light used to blink in the bottom right of the computer, but it does not anymore :-O

#603 2008-12-10 08:22:16

thomasd

sessy wrote:

I have tried the latest kernel and the older one wich worked fine in the past (2.6.26.5).

I can list the interface with iwconfig, but iwlist wlan0 scan returns nothing. A yellow light used to blink in the bottom right of the computer, but it does not anymore :-O

Do you use ath5k with the latest version or do you still use madwifi? For me, ath5k works fine with only a few flaws. Be sure to remove ath_pci and ath_hal from rc.conf.
It is known that iwlist scan is buggy with ath5k. Be sure to run it as root. If it stills finds nothing, try to connect to a known network, which works for me.

The yellow light does not (yet) work with ath5k.

Hope this helps.

#604 2008-12-10 10:33:59

sessy

thomasd wrote:
sessy wrote:

Do you use ath5k with the latest version or do you still use madwifi? For me, ath5k works fine with only a few flaws. Be sure to remove ath_pci and ath_hal from rc.conf.
It is known that iwlist scan is buggy with ath5k. Be sure to run it as root. If it stills finds nothing, try to connect to a known network, which works for me.

The yellow light does not (yet) work with ath5k.

Hope this helps.

I have the feeling I've misconfigured something, somehow, somewhere... I was so desperate that I've reinstalled the whole system... smile Now wlan works again. [having a separate /home partition helped a LOT]

Thanks for everyone trying to help!

#605 2008-12-10 16:02:16

alex_anthony

giacomolg wrote:

Hi all,
I'm not experienced enough to successfully install archlinux myself on the acer one, but I could make use of a more flexible linux distribution on the machine. Has anyone got a USB image that is "ready to go" ? I mean, something that I can copy to my memory stick and it basically install itself alongside the pre-existing Linpus.

If something like that would exist I am prepared to give a small donation (if appreciated).

Many thanks!

P.S.
I have the 120GB HD with 1GB RAM version

Have you tried looking on the wiki? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One

How to put the image (found at http://archlinux.org/download/) onto a USB drive is explained at
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … _USB_stick.

You may be better off using one of the new arch images from http://downloads.archlinux.de/iso/archb … mg.torrent as it has the newer kernel with wireless drivers.

Arch install isn't too hard, follow the relevant part of the beginner's guide on the wiki and the AAO page from the wiki.

Then you may want the kernel from this thread, but I wouldn't worry about that yet.

#606 2008-12-10 20:56:33

bnolsen

With Xorg running 2.6.27.7 I'm getting the 62.8fps with glxgears, 15fps with armagetron (@1024x600).  Several pages back are some complaints about this as well.

I also see the TTM buffer manager error.
I did the INTEL_BATCH deal and the /proc/mtrr stuff, not cigar.
Can anyone who's getting good fps please posting a working xorg.conf?

#607 2008-12-10 21:03:03

Determination

ouch.

I'm getting 62fps (down from nearly 900) also with glxgears, and the same TTM buffer manager error. I also have the INTEL_BATCH enabled, but not /proc/mtrr or cigar.

UPDATE: Apparently, it's not a AAO-specific problem.

Last edited by Determination (2008-12-10 21:18:56)

#608 2008-12-10 22:43:21

Inkaine

Guys, please. Glxgears is shit. It doesn't tell anything about performance. 3D was crappy with intel 2.3.1 and 900fps - and it is completely identical on 2.4.3 with both 60fps and after using vsync_blank in .driconf, which now gives me 350fps. It has nothing to do with xorg.conf or anything. The intel driver is just not tweaked for 3D performance. And that's no priority for the devs. If you want that use windows are another graphics chipset...

giacomolg wrote:

Hi all,
I'm not experienced enough to successfully install archlinux myself on the acer one, but I could make use of a more flexible linux distribution on the machine. Has anyone got a USB image that is "ready to go" ? I mean, something that I can copy to my memory stick and it basically install itself alongside the pre-existing Linpus.

Hello giacomo and welcome to the forums. I really don't want to sound rude and will be most sincere: maybe you should not go for Arch Linux if you don't consider yourself expierenced enough yet. Alex_anthony posted you several links, if you cannot fully follow these, better keep your hands of Arch.

Actually Linpus is a really decent implementation and after activating the advanced mode you can do basically everything you can here. Plus better battery efficiency and faster boot time.

#609 2008-12-11 00:19:05

bnolsen

Inkaine wrote:

Guys, please. Glxgears is shit. It doesn't tell anything about performance. 3D was crappy with intel 2.3.1 and 900fps - and it is completely identical on 2.4.3 with both 60fps and after using vsync_blank in .driconf, which now gives me 350fps. It has nothing to do with xorg.conf or anything. The intel driver is just not tweaked for 3D performance. And that's no priority for the devs. If you want that use windows are another graphics chipset...

Quote from wiki:

Typical Intel chipset. Works with the xf86-video-intel driver. 400ish on glxgears

So sue me for wondering why I was getting 1/8th or so the performance the wiki claims.

I've run gentoo for many years now.  I'm trying out arch because this little AA1 isn't exactly a beast and the SSD isn't exactly suited for gentoo.  In no way will you find me ever willing to put windows on anything other than a pile of junk computer.

#610 2008-12-11 08:48:23

antis

After the latest xorg updates I find that the graphics has become more sluggish over all. Scrolling a webpage in Opera is one example where text and images become garbled and unsorted. You have to scoll back and forth a couple of times to get things proper again.
Also max/minimizing of windows looks very choppy (using openbox). I guess the new driver is just not up to par.

Last edited by antis (2008-12-11 08:50:00)

#611 2008-12-11 17:29:24

Determination

it's not the fact there's anything special about glxgears: it could be the crappiest, stupidiest way to gauge performance in real applications. But it's a consistent and static application providing us with a common measuring tool across this platform.

Run glxgears before, we get one value. Run glxgears now and getting a different value. glxgears hasn't changed, so something else has. It's doing its job by allowing us to eliminate a variable: the measuring tool itself. Is there a alternative that would do more than that?

Last edited by Determination (2008-12-16 00:00:22)

#612 2008-12-15 03:14:55

future stir-fry

Arch noob here.
Is the compilation of the custom kernel done the using abs like the other aur packages are? When I do this, at the pacman -U stage, an error occurs saying that a number of /usr/bin/* and /usr/share/* files already exists in the filesystem.

#613 2008-12-15 10:19:53

saunders

Here's a little script I use to play stuff tweaked for the aspire.

#!/bin/sh

MPLAYER="/usr/bin/mplayer"
NICE="nice -n -1"       # priority bump
THREADS="2"             # number of CPUs, MPEG-1/2 and H.264 only

VO="xv,sdl"
VFM="ffmpeg,dshow,vfw,libmpeg2,xvid"
AFM="mp3lib,liba52,libvorbis,ffmpeg,dshow,libmad"

FILENAME="$*"
CODEC="`$MPLAYER -v \"$FILENAME\" -nosound -frames 0 2>/dev/null|grep 'Codec:'|head -n1|sed -e \"s/'//g\" -e 's/Fourcc:.*Codec: //'`" #'

# http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MPlayer_FAQ
if [ "$CODEC" == "H.264" ]; then
  #FAST="fast:"                                         # less cpu

VOPTIONS="skiploopfilter=nonref"                      # best option
  #VOPTIONS="skiploopfilter=all"                        # less cpu, more artifacts
  #VOPTIONS="skipframe=nonref:skiploopfilter=all"       # considerably less cpu, skips frames

VOPTIONS="-lavdopts ${FAST}${VOPTIONS}:threads=$THREADS"
fi

QUIET="-really-quiet"   # comment out for testing

$NICE $MPLAYER \
$QUIET \
-ao alsa \
-vo $VO \
-cache 8192 \
-double \
-framedrop \
-bpp 32 \
-monitoraspect 128:75 \
-font /usr/share/fonts/corefonts/arial.ttf \
-vfm $VFM -afm $AFM $VOPTIONS \
-nograbpointer \
"$FILENAME"

I downloaded a bunch of 720p trailers from apple and they all play no problem. Now with a few changes (enable "fast" and "skiploopfilter=all) it can almost, but not consistency, play 1080p content. I'm sure with further tweaking I can get it pretty close but why bother, you have to downsize 720p to get it to fit on the screen anyway...

#614 2008-12-15 21:05:38

ahaslam

Saunders, thank you. Those options do make a small improvement over my ffplay attempts, tho 720p remains largely unwatchable here.

Your script wouldn't detect h264 here, maybe try:

CODEC=`mplayer -identify -frames 0 ${FILENAME} 2>/dev/null | grep ID_VIDEO_CODEC | cut -d"=" -f2`
if [ "$CODEC" == "ffh264" ]; then

A couple of questions if you don't mind? What level of bitrate do your movies contain & did you notice an improvement with the new xorg (I'm waiting for kernel 2.6.28)?

Thanks again & welcome to Arch. smile

Last edited by ahaslam (2008-12-15 21:12:19)

#615 2008-12-16 04:53:45

saunders

I started using arch about a year ago and I'm pretty happy with it. I have been using gentoo for years. I like arch cause I can have it completely up and going and updated in about an hour, its what I use to put linux on other peoples machines.

Anyway this is just a quick and dirty addition to a script I personally use, the $CODEC line was thrown in and works with the apple trailers but probably not with other filetypes. Just threw it on here for people to play with. Really it should check if the file is 720p or higher as well to not lessen the quality of smaller files.

As far as the tweaks go I just followed a lot of what I read in a few wikis, compiled my own kernel based on the kernel-one (with a few changes), nothing special yet. I will end up putting on the zen-kernel sometime and a bunch of other fancy stuff to see what I can get this thing to do.

If you have a link to a file it has trouble playing post up the url.

#616 2008-12-16 11:51:56

Zom

saunders wrote:

I started using arch about a year ago and I'm pretty happy with it. I have been using gentoo for years. I like arch cause I can have it completely up and going and updated in about an hour, its what I use to put linux on other peoples machines.

Anyway this is just a quick and dirty addition to a script I personally use, the $CODEC line was thrown in and works with the apple trailers but probably not with other filetypes. Just threw it on here for people to play with. Really it should check if the file is 720p or higher as well to not lessen the quality of smaller files.

As far as the tweaks go I just followed a lot of what I read in a few wikis, compiled my own kernel based on the kernel-one (with a few changes), nothing special yet. I will end up putting on the zen-kernel sometime and a bunch of other fancy stuff to see what I can get this thing to do.

If you have a link to a file it has trouble playing post up the url.

What did you change in the one-kernel? I would be interested in seeing this as a package on aur. smile

#617 2008-12-16 12:36:20

ichbinesderelch

there is a aur package of the kernel, named kernel26-one wink

#618 2008-12-16 18:16:50

Zom

Made splashy work on my AAO today. I had to modify /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES=""
BINARIES=""
FILES=""
HOOKS="udev base splashy"

Then I created a file called /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel-one.preset

ALL_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
ALL_kver="2.6.27-ARCH"

PRESETS=('default')

default_image="/boot/kernel-one.img"

And this is my current menu.lst

# (0) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux One [/boot/vmlinuz-one]
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-one root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=789 quiet elevator=deadline usbcore.autosuspend=1 splash
initrd /boot/kernel-one.img

Then you just build the initrd with mkinitcpio -p kernel-one. I think that should be all. Do take splasy from aur though, as the splashy repo is outdated and doesn't work with the current directfb.

Now all I have to do is wait for 2.6.28 to go stable to make alsa behave nicely.

#619 2008-12-17 00:25:01

ahaslam

Saunders, utilising mplayer, ffmpeg-mt & some of your settings, 720p is possible without framedrop or a/v sync issues.

git clone git://repo.or.cz/mplayer.git && cd mplayer && git checkout -t -b mt origin/mt && git submodule init && git submodule update

This shows a good 15% speed increase over repo versions. Not all 720p is decoded perfectly, but the most demanding stuff I have is certainly watchable.

#620 2008-12-17 01:44:27

Driadan
Website

Do you guys have both stock kernel and gothiknight's one installed? I get several file conflicts, so I think I should choose one and stick with it, am I right?

regards

I see connected people - The seventh sense

#621 2008-12-17 04:16:52

saunders

ahh yes, I forgot that mplayer prefers to be compiled. I'll have to try that.

As for the kernel changes from kernel26-one, i find these three are a must
- compile in all filesystems you need, don't compile them as modules
- make all sound options modules, you need this to compile your own alsa to get sound to work on thaw (2.6.28 should fix this)
- enable CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT for use with powertop

#622 2008-12-17 04:30:15

saunders

Here's another little script i wrote. It's run on boot, thaw and acpi events.

Two things to note, I don't use laptop_mode (too aggressive on hd stuff/other things) and the hd isn't geared towards saving power. The reason is I have the model with the 160G hd and it "clicks" all the time. If you read this - http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_w … e_clicking you can see that's its actually the drive trying to kill itself prematurely. I suggest to everyone with a hd in their aspires to run smartctl on it.

in short, below is NOT optimal for people with ssd but pick from it what you want. also note that some settings remain on both battery and plugged in modes.

#!/bin/sh

# BATTERY
if [[ "`cat /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/ACAD/state|grep "off-line"|wc -l`" == "1" ]]; then
  logger laptop_tweak.sh - Battery Mode
  echo Battery Mode | tee /tmp/power_state ; date >> /tmp/power_state
  # scaling on both cores
  echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
  echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
  # tweak ondemand settings -- over 70% cpu usage will up the speed (less bursts, default is 80%)
  echo 70 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
  echo 70 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
  # tweak sampling rate (test this for a bit) /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate_max
  echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
  # laptop mode (write to hd less) -- disabled as I need to stop clickity
  echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode     # 5 = enabled
  # hd clickity
  /sbin/hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda >/dev/null 2>&1
  # longer writebacks
  echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
  # enable usb autosuspend
  for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/autosuspend; do echo 2 > $i; done
  for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/level; do echo auto > $i; done
  # disable wakeonlan -- dont use, leave disabled
  ethtool -s eth0 wol d
  # alsa
  echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
  # multicore tunable (possible performance hit) - http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/cpu.php
  #echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings
  echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_smt_power_savings
  # disable polling cdrom -- does not apply
  #hal-disable-polling --device /dev/scd0 'hal' >/dev/null 2>&1

# processes
  /etc/rc.d/crond stop
fi

# PLUGGED IN
if [[ "`cat /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/ACAD/state|grep "on-line"|wc -l`" == "1" ]]; then
  logger laptop_tweak.sh - Plugged In Mode
  echo Plugged In Mode | tee /tmp/power_state ; date >> /tmp/power_state
  # scaling on both cores
  echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
  echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
  echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
  /sbin/hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda >/dev/null 2>&1
  echo 500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
  for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/autosuspend; do echo -1 > $i; done
  for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/level; do echo on > $i; done
  ethtool -s eth0 wol d
  echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
  #echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings
  echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_smt_power_savings
  #hal-disable-polling --enable-polling --device /dev/scd0 'hal' >/dev/null 2>&1

# processes
  /etc/rc.d/crond start
fi

#623 2008-12-17 09:33:23

Zom

Driadan wrote:

Do you guys have both stock kernel and gothiknight's one installed? I get several file conflicts, so I think I should choose one and stick with it, am I right?

regards

I had no problems running both side-by-side, but since I never used the stock kernel I removed it.

I dunno, could be good if you need a backup kernel, but I see no problems in running with just kernel-one.

#624 2008-12-17 14:39:36

Driadan
Website

Yes, I wanted to use the stock kernel as a fallback in case something went wrong (as it did with a missing '/' in grub). Anyway, I just switched and it seems to be running smoothly smile

I see connected people - The seventh sense

#625 2008-12-17 15:47:52

gothicknight

Hi everyone.

Here's the 2.6.27.9 build, this should be the last build until the 2.6.28 arrives (soon I hope): http://clientes.netvisao.pt/gtknight/ke … pkg.tar.gz

Nothing fancy on the upstream patches, also the Kconfig I've used is the same as before.
I haven't still tested this build in my AAO because I don't have it here, but as this is a minor bump I don't expect any problems. Either way, I'll test this as soon I arrive home from work.

I've still to update the AUR, because some baby appear on the site claiming it was in maintenance tongue

UPDATE: It seems it was an update to AUR, I've already uploaded the PKGBUILD.

Last edited by gothicknight (2008-12-17 16:50:14)

Board footer