You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-03 12:34:39

scoona

No sound on GNOME with pulseaudio [Resolved]

Hi there,

the title says it all: I've lost all sound in GNOME. Hardware is checked and fully working (dual-boot). I've gone through the Wiki and Mixer settings several times now, with no progress. pavumeter shows me active levels when playing some file, like in totem, but there's nothing to hear. I've both tried system wide use of pulseaudio as user based, all the same.

Any ideas please?

Last edited by scoona (2009-12-10 17:48:46)

#2 2009-12-03 12:38:10

magnusk

Re: No sound on GNOME with pulseaudio [Resolved]

Are speakers turned on in pulse volume control? I spent a couple of hours of troubleshoting before I found out that speakers were turned off after puls install.

I am not stupid. I just have bad luck when thinking.

#3 2009-12-03 13:14:54

scoona

Speakers? I turn on/off speakers from my external amplifier, I see no way to do this in any sensible way in pulse. All other levels (PCM, output master channels etc. ) are turned on. I have to add my hardware: this is an Audigy 4 pci soundcard, all relevant modules are loaded correctly.

#4 2009-12-04 00:46:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Are you referring to Gnome sounds, or to general sound? I don't believe gnome itself is compiled to use Pulseaudio, but I turn off sound schemes right on install so I wouldn't know how its like now. As for apps, you should be able to hear them if they're using pulse.

Could it be that pulseaudio is outputting to "null" output? Check with pavucontrol.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-12-04 09:12:26

scoona

I'm getting no sound at all, but as I use GNOME as my dm, I'm referring to it. I've disabled sound schemes, too. Pavucontrol shows me that Audigy 4 is correctly chosen as output device.

#6 2009-12-04 10:07:11

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

In that case something is possibly muted, check alsamixer -c0

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2009-12-04 10:14:32

hBd
Website

i installed pulseaudio 2 days ago, and i make all the steps from the Wiki and works fine!  You installed now, or u got pulseaudio working and it's broken now ?

#8 2009-12-05 10:17:19

scoona

I've checked "alsamixer -c0" for at least 10 times now, there's nothing more to unmute - unfortunately. I know the problem with muted channels from earlier times... The Audigy worked fine before and still does so (under Win$) until maybe three weeks ago. Except for updates I haven't changed anything in my config.

#9 2009-12-06 23:52:58

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Does pavucontrol show any response?

#10 2009-12-07 02:53:08

jowilkin

I had pulseaudio working fine in gnome and then one day I mysteriously lost all sound.  Eventually I reverted to plain ALSA and all was well again.....I have no idea why pulse stopped working, but I've seen others have the same problem.

#11 2009-12-07 17:51:04

scoona

Pavucontrol shows completely normal functioning, i.e. correct output levels when playing sound.

#12 2009-12-07 23:22:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Then the problem is between pulseaudio->alsa->your device. Do you have multiple sound cards?

#13 2009-12-08 01:05:15

Jedi Stannis

I am having the same problem.  No changes and sound no longer works.

#14 2009-12-08 02:43:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

"Sound no longer works" isn't exactly something which will help anyone help you....

#15 2009-12-08 03:04:50

Jedi Stannis

Sorry, same problem as described here.  Recently switched to pulse audio since alsa stopped working for unknown reasons.  Using gnome.  Pulse audio was working fine for a few weeks, now no audio output.  Checked all the mixers, etc and everything is on.  Nothing changed besides regular updates.

#16 2009-12-08 04:00:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

In the end, if pavucontrol shows that your sound card IS detected and that sound is playing, the issue is probably alsa related. Things to check:-
1. Is the app producing sound (level meter in pavucontrol)?
2. Is the correct output sink selected (under playback tab in pavucontrol, compare with Output Devices tab)?
3. Is the app or output device muted in pavucontrol? Also check output level in the Output Devices tab.

If the three steps are all working, then it almost certainly something being muted, or wrong detection of the sound card etc.

#17 2009-12-08 18:40:39

scoona

Hi ngoonee,

I can assure you that all of your three mentioned steps are successfully taken here and nothing is muted, but still no sound. Soundcard is correctly identified as SB Audigy 4. This is exactly the point why I'm lost.

#18 2009-12-08 22:57:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I would suggest taking your problem to #pulseaudio, I hang out there quite a bit, if you hang around long enough to wait for people to wake up (depending on time zones) the help is good.

#19 2009-12-08 23:20:33

Jedi Stannis

I managed to get it working by using pavucontrol.  Under the configuration tab I needed to change the profile for my sound card from Analog Stereo Duplex to Digital Stereo Duplex.  Thanks for the help.

#20 2009-12-09 01:31:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Good to hear. What about the OP?

#21 2009-12-10 17:48:11

scoona

Jedi Stannis wrote:

Under the configuration tab I needed to change the profile for my sound card from Analog Stereo Duplex to Digital Stereo Duplex.  Thanks for the help.

Exactly the same here! This is solved. Many thankx! :-)

Board footer