You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-05 10:46:16

fnord0

fbcondecor (background image @ console) + NVIDIA proprietary drivers

greets all,

I have an alienware m11x (R1) laptop, which has a integrated intel 4500M video card + an NVIDIA GT 335M discrete video card. currently vga-switcheroo does not work with this laptop, but thats not why I'm posting here... my ordeal is as follows:

DISCRETE video card is selected in BIOS (NVIDIA GT 335M)
I want a graphic bootloader -- and so far fbsplash has taken care of me -- but where I fall flat is implementing a background image after the fbsplash boot screen has completed bootup I want to see a background image while booted to console, and after closing X and droping back to console too IF THIS IS POSSIBLE. currently this is the process I have implemented ::

- computer boots to grub
- I select arch linux -fbcondecor kernel (2.6.34-2)
- KMS kicks in using noveau driver
- fbsplash displays its boot up image + animations
- fbsplash completes and kicks me to my background image displayed via fbcondecor (using KMS thru noveau)
- everything WORKS (hooray!)

MY PROBLEM IS BOOTING Xorg, as I want to use the NVIDIA proprietary driver to get full 3d acceleration. so to do this, unfortunately I have to kill KMS via a script as suggested via the nouveau page ::

#!/bin/bash
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
rmmod nouveau
/etc/init.d/consolefont restart
rmmod ttm
rmmod drm_kms_helper
rmmod drm

- so after I kill/unload nouveau, I can then load the 'nvidia' and startX using the NVIDIA proprietary driver
- the problem, is once I run my script 'killkms' to unload nouveau I lose the pretty fbcondecor background!

I've tried splashy, but that doesnt allow a background image in console - same deal with uvesafb... anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I see back|track works just fine with nvidia proprietary drivers + background image... someone know how I could implement the backtrack boot tools into arch (or know which app it is they are using to display the background image?)

thanks for your time, look forward to any help provided!
-fnord0

Last edited by fnord0 (2010-07-05 10:47:16)

#2 2010-07-08 15:37:29

kujub

Re: fbcondecor (background image @ console) + NVIDIA proprietary drivers

Why not just disable KMS on boot? My kernel line for using nvidia together with nouveau is:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda7 ro nomodeset vga=791 quiet console=tty1 splash=silent,theme:arch-banner-icons logo.nologo

(Yes that *is* an fbcondecor-kernel! smile The only drawback is only VESA modes like 1024x768 work for Fbsplash and console.

#3 2010-07-08 17:19:49

fnord0

well, I'll be damned.  that is something I didnt think of, because the docs for fbcondecor were suggesting KMS. I will try this and let you know! (arch is downloading KDE-unstable all over again - now @ 4.4.92) so I will report back later with results. thanks!

#4 2010-09-25 18:26:02

fnord0

s`allright, I got this shit working now ... FYI, if anyone else has a alienware m11x (r1), or similar setup (integrated intel 4500M video card + an NVIDIA GT 335M discrete video card) and wants to get background images @ the console, this is how I'm doing it ::

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf ::

MODULES="intel_agp i915 nvidiafb"
HOOKS="base udev uresume fbsplash autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems"

/boot/grub/menu.lst ::

# (3) Arch64 linux (intel -fbcondecor)
title  Arch64 Linux (intel -fbcondecor)
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-fbcondecor root=/dev/sda3 resume=/dev/sda6 i915.modeset=1 quiet video=1366x768 console=tty1 splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:arch-banner-icons ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fbcondecor.img

# (4) Arch64 linux (nvidia -fbcondecor)
title  Arch64 Linux (nvidia -fbcondecor)
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-fbcondecor root=/dev/sda3 resume=/dev/sda6 vga=0x317 quiet video=1280x800 console=tty1 splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:arch-banner-icons ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fbcondecor.img

when it comes time to boot your system, choose whatever in BIOS [discrete/internal], then once at the GRUB boot menu, select "Arch64 linux (intel -fbcondecor)" for the intenal, and "Arch64 Linux (nvidia -fbcondecor)" for the discrete.

Last edited by fnord0 (2010-09-25 18:26:24)

Board footer