You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-05 16:28:09

usedtire

Archtrack

Who is working on this?  It looks interesting.  I know it's just a branch off of backtrack, but it might have it's perks.

#2 2010-06-29 17:44:40

enaqx

Re: Archtrack

I think this effort should be revamped and caused in accordance with the current state of BackTrack (current version is 4).
As soon as possible i will try to modify wiki page in quality state.
Any guy who emphasized on security related software in Arch repository, pls, join with effort.

#3 2010-07-04 13:29:06

ryooichi

Agree. This is a great idea. I modified the talk page (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:ArchTrack) yesterday with some ideas.

#4 2010-07-05 11:42:04

hunterthomson
Website

+1

The thing with creating a BackTrack like distro is that it seems to be a super finicky pain in bum. Most of the tools are vary selective as to what lib's, Kernel, and, modules need to be installed. Getting all of them to match up and play nice together is quite an accomplishment. That is kind of what makes me like BackTrack so much.

With that said, I would much rather BackTrack be based on Arch instead of Ubuntu. I find the Ubuntu way of doing things to be needlessly difficult. It's funny how that works. . . If you don't what to customized 'Anything' Ubuntu is purity easy to use, but as soon as you want to set things up 'you're way' it all goes to hell.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2010-07-05 11:43:02)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#5 2010-07-12 07:45:59

fnord0

reading up on everything on the archtrack wiki, found this post - I'm on board, and would love to help+contribute. sounds like the best way is to get PKGBUILDs and such up on AUR - I can do this, and would like to see what other ways of helping test/troubleshoot one could be useful doing?

looking forward to seeing this project grow smile

#6 2010-07-12 23:45:26

MrChilly0

I don't think it's going to be too hard to find volunteers for this project...as long as there is atodo list, we can all get it knocked out pretty quick I'd think

#7 2010-07-13 13:04:58

enaqx

Does anybody have link to page with current list of backtrack tool set? I've asked on backtrack forum, but admin said this is incorrect topic. Old link was obsolete and it's even don't work now. This chart should be useful for sync work.

#8 2010-07-15 00:11:14

seven
Website

I am very interested in this. I work for eLearnSecurity, a security training firm, and we have been looking for a good distro to use in our videos and lectures besides BackTrack. We have been investigating, Matriux, Pentoo, but Arch Linux truly is supreme. I will be glad to help this as soon as I read up more on how to make packages.

eLearnSecurity Team Member.

#9 2011-02-05 20:55:21

Deities

Is there any updates to Archtrack? I can't seem to install it since dependencies for almost every single package is missing.

#10 2011-02-05 21:03:22

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Deities' thread merged.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#11 2011-02-06 15:14:27

Deities

Guess I typed it wrong when I searched for it. I would of posted here if I knew about it. Still looking to see if anyone has any news on it.

#12 2011-02-07 20:01:27

fnord0

greets Deities, the answer to your question is best said here => http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:ArchTrack

ryooichi and myself have been the 2 main people working on this project recently. I have made 2 recents posts on the  ArchTrack Talk page and one on ryooichi's talk page in the hopes of hearing from him and/or any one else interested in contributing. "the project" has been worked in our spare time when work/life/etc permits. I myself have been building several PKGBUILDs to contribute to the project and continue to help out in that area.

I would love to see a resurgence in interest for this project, as arch is my favorite (and primary) desktop OS, I love the whole concept and everything about
this idea/project and hope it doesn't fade away. there is sooo much potential, it just requires time to work on it... my latest post in the ArchTrack Talk page deals alot with this very issue, and presents other questions forth (like a common "archtrack" account for AUR pkgbuilds, and multiple other outstanding concerns/questions/issues). I very much want to continue to contribute, and anyone else is welcome to join - there is a big worklist of PKGBUILDs ready to be worked on. if you are not a coder, Ryooichi has setup a great page(s) for those that want to see an application bundled with archtrack (ultimately available in the AUR) - go here for the Tool Suggestion page, and here for the Toolkit Suggestion page. the current list of apps we want to get into the AUR is at the google spreadsheet. Im hoping Ryooichi will respond soon to the ArchTrack Talk page, but haven't heard from him in ~1 month. all our contacts have been
done via the ArchTrack Talk page. now seeing we have someone else showing an interest I am emailing him directly right now to see if I can get his attention (hopefully we will hear something back soon) ryooichi is the "lead dev" so to speak, and has been doing most of the wiki and coordination.

I am very much willing to continue to work on this, more now then ever. hopefully we hear from him soon! hope to hear more back from you Deities and anyone else interested in contributing! feel free to continue to post here or ideally @ the ArchTrack Talk page smile  I hope to talk again with ya soon.

Last edited by fnord0 (2011-02-07 20:10:42)

#13 2011-02-08 04:15:19

brenix

Not sure if anyone else has used Archpwn, but those guys have done an awesome job creating various PKGBUILDs for a lot of the tools in Backtrack.. maybe someone could make use of these?

#14 2011-05-18 23:46:41

Website

Awesome! please keep up wit this great idea, I will be one happy user once it comes out big_smile I will keep checking the thread and also I can volunter on doing some testing if you want big_smile

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#15 2011-12-09 01:33:33

jvaldezjr

Sorry to revive a dead post, but from the project wiki, etc. it does not seem that the packages mentioned in the wiki are on the AUR.  Nice idea tho.

Hunterthompson wrote:

If you don't what to customized 'Anything' Ubuntu is purity easy to use, but as soon as you want to set things up 'you're way' it all goes to hell.

That's why I stopped using Ubuntu and switched to Arch.

#16 2012-01-10 19:57:32

festizio

I found this http://protectors.cc/blog/index.php?/ar … olkit.html last night and thought it might be a good jumping off point to get "archtrack" rolling again. I havent started picking the deps.sh script apart to change the package names to work with pacman, but I am sure it can be done. I did test this on a spare laptop with vanilla ubuntu installed and it is a pretty good set of tools. Let me know what you think or if this would be redundant because they're already is something like this for arch.

EvE -|- Twitter -|- Last.Fm -|- Reference

“Chaos often breeds life, when order breeds habit”
                                                    - Henry Brooks Adams

#17 2012-01-11 23:31:11

gozes

hi I love the idea of Archtrack I'm a intern(a rookie if I may) in a security group and will really like to help pleas keep me post it :-)

#18 2012-02-03 10:41:44

fnord0

@jvaldezjr - you are correct, the archtrack-* PKGBUILDs are no longer available in the AUR as @ryooichi had them removed [see here]

@festizio - that is actually a really cool script, good catch. and currently the answer to yr question is "no there is not something like this for arch due to the archtrack-* packages being removed". if you really do want to put some effort forward there is also archpwn (as mentioned in previous post by @brenix) available as an example. too bad though, it doesn't look like there's been any action since august 2010.

I'm still down for getting some people together to get archtrack, or something similar going again (as I currently have some free time available) wink imho, I think @ryooichi had a pretty good idea going using archtrack-* packages, which were effectively "psuedo-packages". ryooichi's PKGBUILDs for the archtrack-* packages are still on github for reference.

myself, I am a huge backtrack fan. the way I've been using backtrack with arch is to have a separate partition with a full BT5 installed, then just mount that partition and chroot to it (i.e. 'sudo su -c "chroot /mnt/bt5"'). most apps do work surprisingly enough, and the ones that don't I install locally to archlinux.

/fnord0

Last edited by fnord0 (2012-02-03 10:48:48)

#19 2012-08-20 10:43:39

duster

thought this might be important for a arch based pentest distro

http://hackingexpose.blogspot.com/2012/ … -tool.html

it would be nice to see the fix on the AUR

Last edited by duster (2012-08-20 10:45:02)

amd phenom II quad core notebook
ati radeon hd mobility radeon 4200

Board footer