You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-09 06:50:56

bigsad

PC freezes before even getting to boot loader. Using systemd boot

Hello all,

I tried finding answers for this online but I'm not sure if maybe I'm just not using the right terms or what gives because I've come up with no helpful information.

I dual boot Windows and Arch which I just installed today. I'm currently running into an issue where my PC freezes before I even get to the boot loader to pick what OS I want to use. It freezes right when the motherboard manufacturer logo comes on the screen and you get your different boot/BIOS options.

I found that a way to bypass this was to spam F12 right after I turn my PC on which takes me to what I presume to be the Boot options my motherbaord BIOS is letting me pick from since the menu is themed just like my BIOS. In that menu I see both my Windows and Linux boot drives and I'm able to boot into Arch. However, this isn't a perfect workaround. If for whatever reason I need to reboot my PC, I'm able to do the whole F12 thing to get back into Linux but my PC will freeze before I get to the Arch user login screen.

I'm not entirely sure what the issue can be. The Arch installation went smoothly and I installed it in a separate SSD. This SSD had a previous Ubuntu installation which I replaced with Arch because I was having too many weird issues getting started with it with it plus Arch supports HDR which is nice for games smile I don't think the previous Ubuntu installation should have caused issues though because the drive was formatted as part of the Arch installation process.

The only other thing that I can imagine could be some sort of problematic is maybe the fact that I'm using an nvidia GPU. I did have some issues getting a Waylands session going at first and had to login using X11, change some settings I found online and then login using Wayland.

I'm not even entirely sure where I can find any crash logs for this if any since it happens so early in the boot process. If anyone can direct me to where I can find some so that I can upload them to, that would be much appreciated

Edit: Misspelled Ubuntu

Last edited by bigsad (2024-05-09 06:53:00)

#2 2024-05-09 08:06:57

shulamy

Re: PC freezes before even getting to boot loader. Using systemd boot

i think it's the boot order in your BIOS
there are BIOSS that have 3 boot orders (normal , reset , power failure)

ezik

#3 2024-05-09 08:24:14

bigsad

shulamy wrote:

i think it's the boot order in your BIOS
there are BIOSS that have 3 boot orders (normal , reset , power failure)

ezik

Thanks for the advice. What exactly should I be looking for in the boot order? In my BIOS I see Windows Boot Manager and then Linux Boot Manager and UEFI OS. Those last two are in the SSD I installed arch in. I believe these two are split because when I installed arch I went with the option that created a partition for the OS itself. Thought it was a good idea in case I needed to reinstall without losing too much data.

Originally Linux Boot Manager was listed before the Windows one so I swapped them. That takes me straight to Windows though without a boot manager prompt. At least it doesn’t freeze this time though lol

Edit: last paragraph I meant without a boot loader prompt not boot manager prompt

Last edited by bigsad (2024-05-09 08:33:08)

#4 2024-05-09 11:05:55

shulamy

what  do you choose after F12 ?  that is what you have to find in the BIOS

i think if both OS are i UEFI mode you have to choose UEFI

ezik

Board footer