You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-09 18:41:23

ArchC4t

Any benefits of not using archinstall for a new user?

I want to switch to Arch. Up until now I have been using, and been very happy with, EndeavourOS, which I've been told is essentially the same besides the installation process. That's where I'm curious about how I should handle it on Arch now, or rather, soon.

I am planning on trying out Hyprland and this will be a general daily use machine. I have been on Linux for about a year now, but haven't really gone into anything that isn't directly user-facing (so for instance, I have obviously installed applications like Firefox, but haven't messed with the audio system Pipewire), however I wouldn't mind doing so on a day off.

It seems like archinstall is a good way to get up and running easily, so I'm wondering if there is any reason to not use it, especially at my relatively low skill level?
Would doing the install "the hard way" give me practice, or would it just provide more opportunities for things to break?
Could using archinstall and then not reading through the install guide cause me to forget something important?

#2 2024-05-09 19:00:21

icar

Re: Any benefits of not using archinstall for a new user?

I encourage you to read through the installation page of the Wiki and follow that your first time you install Arch. Make sure to not skip anything and do spend the needed time reading everything.
ArchLinux is user-centric, so if something breaks, you'll be expected to handle it. Installing with archinstall doesn't allow you to obtain the knowledge to maintain your system.

#3 2024-05-09 21:06:06

ArchC4t

Re: Any benefits of not using archinstall for a new user?

Gotcha, thanks, I'll be doing it the manual way then!

Board footer