You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-27 00:02:09

Aonox

[SOLVED]Not another random freeze - Only while gaming

Okay, so here's what's happening. If I play any game, (so far only 3D games), after about 5 minutes I lose my mouse control. Keyboard control is still there, but it tends to get lost as well if I don't get out of the game quick enough. This is really annoying, and it happens on ubuntu, fedora, and archlinux, all which have been 64-bit. I don't freeze up at all unless I am gaming, this graphics card is brand new, and it was happening with my 8800gt as well, which I ended up taking out because the fan broke. So yeah brand new Radeon 4650 with FGLRX driver, the mouse is a USB Logitech Laser mouse. The computer isn't freezing completely, just losing mouse, then sometimes keyboard, and (i tried setting up the SysRq thing, this is not working). I hear all these things about people randomly freezing, playing music or video, etc. Well I haven't had problems with that, only while gaming on two different graphics cards? I'm thinking it's Kernel, and probably not fixable on my level. I don't want to have old software to play games, I have windows xp with blackbox for that smile.

Last edited by Aonox (2010-07-28 00:05:39)

#2 2010-07-27 00:28:18

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]Not another random freeze - Only while gaming

Any logs ...?

#3 2010-07-27 00:42:32

Aonox

Well the SysRq method is not working, and to be honest I don't know how to find the log if I can't even see what the terminal is saying after running tremulous for example.

Edit: Ehh.. Ok what logs should I post?

Last edited by Aonox (2010-07-27 00:56:43)

#4 2010-07-27 00:48:26

eldragon

Aonox wrote:

Well the SysRq method is not working, and to be honest I don't know how to find the log if I can't even see what the terminal is saying after running tremulous for example.

you need to enable sysrq in arch..

check /etc/sysctl.conf

instal a ssh daemon and ssh into the computer when it freezes, you can check logs that way.

#5 2010-07-27 00:58:06

Aonox

Im thinking if I can have the problem occur again without completely disabling, I can exit the game and check a log, but what log would give me information I'm looking for?

And I've enabled it, my keyboard doesn't show a sysrq button, i looked at another keyboard and it's also the del button, but i tried it and it isn't working.

Last edited by Aonox (2010-07-27 00:58:48)

#6 2010-07-27 08:40:12

karol
Archivist

The info doesn't disappear from the logs after the reboot. Logs reside in /var/log - Xorg.0.log and kernel.log are of interest.
You can run this and post the output:

grep -E '\((WW|EE)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

#7 2010-07-27 10:32:18

Aonox

Ok here's what I get from that.

grep -E '\((WW|EE)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found
(WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
(WW) fglrx(0): Option "VendorName" is not used
(WW) fglrx(0): Option "ModelName" is not used
(WW) fglrx(0): Cannot get updated TV attributes.

EDIT: Ugh, okay this isnt from the crash this is just bad stuff going on without trying to play a game i guess. Also I just played tremulous again, this time I made it into a second map with no mouse error.. now I'm completely confused. I'm going to test alien arena or something heavier and see what happens. If it happens again I'll post this log.

Last edited by Aonox (2010-07-27 10:40:47)

#8 2010-07-27 10:40:12

karol
Archivist

Re-read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fglrx , but if you're saying that nvidia had the same problems ...
You may try to check out what's that TV warning about http://www.google.pl/search?q=fglrx(0)% … attributes

Any errors in the kernel log?

#9 2010-07-27 10:49:07

Aonox

Only errors in kernel log are as follows:

Phoenix BIOS detected: BIOS may corrupt low RAM, working around it.

Jul 26 16:43:12 myhost kernel: Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
Jul 26 16:43:12 myhost kernel: Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
----------------------------------------
And the tv thing is weird, but the acpi, I've heard how this can effect the mouse and keyboard and some people say for random freezes (which i dont have it's only while gaming) are fixed by disabling acpi. Most people losing input control stated they were usb inputs. I'll have more info soon, after alien-arena takes away my mouse.

Last edited by Aonox (2010-07-27 11:00:02)

#10 2010-07-27 12:20:14

eldragon

nonono.

install sshd,
reproduce the hang.
login from another computer through ssh while computer still hung / acting crazy

check dmesg

if you plan on checking on xorg.0.log after rebooting, make sure X doesnt start.

on a side note, the sysrq key is the print-screen key. wink

if i were to take a shot at whats wrong with your system with the info provided, i'd say its the motherboard or the power supply.

#11 2010-07-27 12:39:26

karol
Archivist

> if you plan on checking on xorg.0.log after rebooting, make sure X doesnt start.
But the logs already contain several lock-ups-related data. And there's xorg.1.log and friends.

Of source you're right about checking what's wrong _at the time when the lock-up occurred_ and this is the most reliable way just that sometimes you don't have another computer at hand.

#12 2010-07-28 00:01:45

Aonox

Alright guys so here's what I've been doing. I've played alien arena, which is a pretty horrible game. What I noticed in alien arena is that my mouse would not control the mouse in the game unless it was run in window mode and I clicked on the titlebar to focus it. Very strange. Also, tremulous works for the most part, haven't lost my mouse, but it has made my system hang, I think it's just the game personally.

I've played warsow, amazing game, and no problems at all, played for a while too.

Also I've played urban terror, which is running perfectly fine. The problem seemed to just disappear and I thank you all for your help.

Board footer