You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-12 20:48:01

Mannex

dhcpcd and KDE --leasetime?

Sorry, I'm swedish and pretty tired after a long hard days of work to worry about grammar.

Tried every suggestion at the WIKI, I've even tried adding arguments from dhcpcds manpages into the conf.d/dhcpcd file, and also dhcpcd.conf within /etc/ No matter what I do dhcpcd will always issue a lease every 1200 seconds. I'm pretty sure it does not need to get a new lease every 20 minutes for a static (set in the router "always use this IP for this device") LAN-IP adress.

Any ideas where this setting is hiding? something by default or something within (KDE) Networkmanager I've missed? Because the amount of leases could be the cause for my connection dropping every so often during the night. tongue I just wanna change leasetime to something like 86400 seconds. (24 hours)
Thanks.

#2 2010-08-12 22:19:17

Proofrific

Re: dhcpcd and KDE --leasetime?

Mannex wrote:

Because the amount of leases could be the cause for my connection dropping every so often during the night.

So, your real question is how to keep your connection from dropping every so often during the night.  I don't think it's a problem with dhcpcd.  Everyone else uses it without getting dropped.

Is your WLAN dropping, or just your internet?  If it's your internet, then the problem might be your modem or ISP.  If it's your WLAN that's dropping, then it's your router.

#3 2010-08-13 06:20:55

Mannex

Proofrific wrote:
Mannex wrote:

Because the amount of leases could be the cause for my connection dropping every so often during the night.

So, your real question is how to keep your connection from dropping every so often during the night.  I don't think it's a problem with dhcpcd.  Everyone else uses it without getting dropped.

Is your WLAN dropping, or just your internet?  If it's your internet, then the problem might be your modem or ISP.  If it's your WLAN that's dropping, then it's your router.

Never say everyone uses it without issues. Never say that, ever.

It's that and that I also would like to keep KsystemLog a little more clean, dhcpcd so often is a little annoyance I have, 'specially while looking for other things.
Changing it to 24 hours or even 12 hours is something I've tried to do the last 3 days now just to see if it really needs a 20 minute leasetime.
And sure now using static IP also in rc.conf for eth0 the connection is stable as frag all the time. xD
networkmanager>dhcpcd is overriding my arguments or refusing to use them, and I wonder why?

#
# Arguments to be passed to the DHCP client daemon
#

DHCPCD_ARGS="-q -t 0 -l 86400"

-S ip here somewhere not even makes a difference. tongue

# A sample configuration for dhcpcd.
# See dhcpcd.conf(5) for details.

# Inform the DHCP server of our hostname for DDNS.
hostname
# To share the DHCP lease across OSX and Windows a ClientID is needed.
# Enabling this may get a different lease than the kernel DHCP client.
# Some upstream DHCP servers may also require a ClientID, such as FRITZ!Box.
#clientid

# A list of options to request from the DHCP server.
option domain_name_servers, domain_name, domain_search, host_name
option classless_static_routes
# Most distributions have NTP support.
option ntp_servers
# Respect the network MTU.
option interface_mtu
# A ServerID is required by RFC2131.
require dhcp_server_identifier
# Time of lease in second
leasetime 86400

# A hook script is provided to lookup the hostname if not set by the DHCP
# server, but it should not be run by default.
nohook lookup-hostname
noipv4ll

Um, yeah..

#4 2010-08-13 22:34:24

hexanol

The DHCP server has the last word about the lease time. It really looks like your DHCP server doesn't take into account lease time request from DHCP clients.

To verify this, get a trace with tcpdump / wireshark. DHCP request/reply are transmitted over UDP port 67 and 68, if you want to filter the traffic. Alternatively, maybe the '-d' option of dhcpcd can output you the lease time the DHCP server gave you.

Board footer