You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-18 19:08:39

scjudd

DHCP troubles on MacMini 4,1

I have been using Arch Linux for a couple years now on my home server. Recently, I bought a MacMini 4,1 and wanted to throw Arch on it. In order to get it working, I had to compile kernel26-vanilla from the AUR (currently at version 2.6.35.2-1). This is due to the new Nvidia chipset issue.. Long story short, I have managed to get Arch up and running.. but now I'm stuck on getting dhcp working.

The MacMini 4,1 uses the tg3 module for wired network.

When I boot up, the /etc/rc.d/network script fails.. however, adding the following to /etc/rc.local makes it work (occasionally):

dhcpcd -k eth0
dhcpcd -nd eth0

Essentially, I'd like to figure out why the initscript is failing and work out a possible solution..
My first thought was that tg3 needed to be compiled in the kernel instead of as a module. Nope.
Next I tried to tweak /etc/rc.d/network to run the same dhcpcd commands that worked in /etc/rc.local.. Surely that would work.. Nope.
I've tried all sorts of tweaks to DHCPCD_ARGS in /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd also.

Nothing seems to be working except the rc.local script.. How is it that the same set of commands will work in the rc.local but not in /etc/rc.d/network? I know that tweaking the rc.d scripts isn't really a good solution.. I'm really just trying to get to the bottom of this.. I'm hoping it will come down to adding some magical arguments in /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd, but I'm not sure what else to try.

Meh..

Last edited by scjudd (2010-08-18 19:45:46)

#2 2010-08-18 21:25:44

hexanol

Re: DHCP troubles on MacMini 4,1

Do you have any networking problem when you set up a static IP ?

#3 2010-08-18 23:22:52

steve___

I use an older mac mini which uses the sky2 module.  I too have had problems in the past.  Because of this I use netcfg to handle the network connection.  This allows a person to use dhclient or dhcpcd.  Here is the config I use should you care:

$ cat /etc/network.d/ethernet 
CONNECTION="ethernet"
DESCRIPTION="A very basic ethernet profile, using dhcp"
INTERFACE=eth0
IP="dhcp"
DHCP_TIMEOUT=10
DHCLIENT="yes"

To use this method install netcfg

$ pacman -S netcfg

Comment out all network configuration in /etc/rc.conf and uncomment

NETWORKS=(ethernet)

Last edited by steve___ (2010-08-18 23:24:07)

#4 2010-10-07 12:45:00

fooblahblah

scjudd wrote:

I have been using Arch Linux for a couple years now on my home server. Recently, I bought a MacMini 4,1 and wanted to throw Arch on it. In order to get it working, I had to compile kernel26-vanilla from the AUR (currently at version 2.6.35.2-1). This is due to the new Nvidia chipset issue.. Long story short, I have managed to get Arch up and running.. but now I'm stuck on getting dhcp working.

With the custom kernel did you use archboot to create a custom boot iso?  I've been trying to use the stock 2010.05 iso on my Macmini 4,1 (bought yesterday), but the installer cannot find the disk.  I've read the 2.6.35 series of kernels fix this.  Just curious how you got Arch installed smile

#5 2010-10-07 13:45:29

steve___

#6 2010-10-21 14:28:09

scjudd

fooblahblah wrote:

With the custom kernel did you use archboot to create a custom boot iso?  I've been trying to use the stock 2010.05 iso on my Macmini 4,1 (bought yesterday), but the installer cannot find the disk.  I've read the 2.6.35 series of kernels fix this.  Just curious how you got Arch installed smile

After a lot of banging my head against the wall, I popped in an Ubuntu Live-CD which had hacked-together support for the new nVidia chipset. Then I just partitioned my drive and installed in a chroot. See here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … ting_Linux

It looks like the ISO that steve___ posted should work.. it's got a working kernel version. Just go with that!

Last edited by scjudd (2010-10-21 14:50:18)

Board footer