You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-25 18:39:46

SBL

Error starting X

I've just installed Arch on am HP DV9500. When it came time to text X (with xterm), I startx and receive the error (from the log):

(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, o)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error
no screens found

The laptop uses a Geforce 8600, and I have installed nvidia and nvidia-utils respectively. What is my next step?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

#2 2010-08-25 18:42:41

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Error starting X

Read the Beginner's Guide - especially the section where you need to install drivers for you graphics card. Since you have nvidia, your choices are nouveau or nvidia proprietary. Make sure you also followed the steps in detail on the guide.

Then try starting X

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-08-25 18:45:35

loafer

Have you rebooted since installing the nvidia driver.  If not you may need just need to load the module.

edit:  scratch that I'm talking rubbish.  The install script should load the module.

Are you using an xorg.conf file?

Last edited by loafer (2010-08-25 18:49:30)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#4 2010-08-25 18:58:09

SBL

Inxsible wrote:

Read the Beginner's Guide - especially the section where you need to install drivers for you graphics card. Since you have nvidia, your choices are nouveau or nvidia proprietary. Make sure you also followed the steps in detail on the guide.

Then try starting X

Perfectly.

And yes I'm using an xorg config file. I used nvidia-xconfig, and everything looks fine in the config.

I missed this part in the log:

NVIDIA: could not open the device file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics card device PCI:1:0:0:0

and then further down...

Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics card device!
Screens found, but none have a usuable configuration.

edit: I'm sorry I can't post the full log, as i can't use that computer to go online. If you need me to post something exactly and fully though, I will type out whatever output so long as this problem is fixed smile

Last edited by SBL (2010-08-25 18:59:46)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

#5 2010-08-25 23:08:16

Website

Last time I tried to install arch I had this same problem, but my laptop is an Asus UL80VTA-1 so it has hybrid graphics, my problem was that even though I installed the nvidia drivers it kept trying to load the intel card. Dont know if you have hybrid graphics but if you do, now you know where to start.

Also, according to the beginners guide:

Warning: Since v. 1.8, xorg-server uses multiple configuration files within /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, instead of the singular xorg.conf. xorg.conf is mostly deprecated, even though it is parsed by Xorg-server during its initialisation. It is highly recommended to follow the instructions given in the Xorg wiki page to set up X until this section is updated. This in particular applies to all configuration tools that generate a xorg.conf file instead of the multiple configuration files in /etc/xorg.conf.d.

So what I would do in your case is this:

The error says there where screens found but none have usable configuration, so, in the Xorg wiki entry http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Nvidia states how to add a monitor to Xorg, I followed that with my laptop and after configuring the monitor all worked good big_smile

hope it helped

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

Board footer