You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-03 11:31:24

yankeeDDL

Installed Arch+Gnome in Virtualbox. How do I see available software?

Hello,

I've followed this blog (kmandla.wordpress.com) for a long time and finally decided to try Arch myself.
I have to say: not being too experienced in Linux (I've been using Ubuntu for about 2 years but ... well, it worked right off the bat I never really had to thinker much with it) I was worried that it would be too difficult for me.
Of course that was not the case: I followed the archwiki page and not only I got everything worked, but I have the feeling that I learned a lot in the process.
I like the Arch way!

Now the question: pacman seems extremely handy and simple to use ... however ... how can I see the list of software available in the repositories?
For example: I was thinking of installing Docky, or maybe AWN.
With google I found a number of websites with people who have installed it in Arch and the instructions to compile it. I will need to get familiar with compiling - no doubt about this - but ... how do I know that a Docky package isn't already available in one of the repositories?
And how can I find, for example, which other games are available? Or how to install OpenOffice?

Thanks in advance ...

#2 2010-09-03 11:35:57

SanskritFritz
Website

Re: Installed Arch+Gnome in Virtualbox. How do I see available software?

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#3 2010-09-03 11:38:40

hume's doona

pacman -Ss <package>

or you can browse the package page [linked at the top of the page] and aur [for user submitted packages that aren't in repos]

check out the wiki page for pacman, or type

man pacman

into a terminal

welcome to arch smile

#4 2010-09-03 11:46:37

yankeeDDL

Wonderful: exactly what I needed smile
Thank you both!

Board footer