You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-05 05:40:09

msx
Website

[SOLVED] How to REPLICATE my Arch install?

Sorry if this sounds dumb but's crucial to me.

Today I realized how much *love and care* I put in my Arch installation - of course because it deserves that because this is a mind-blowing GNU/Linux distro with an incredible community around it. However it give's me the creeps to think if I eventually need to rebuild my system from zero, I don't know if I have the will but more important the time to spend afternoons and nights customizing it again to leave it how it's now (and I really like what I achieved so far). Better than that, in few weeks I will need to setup a new Arch box for my shop and it would be awesome to just replicate my system instead building something new from scratch since I already have my Arch system the way I like and need it (let me tell you it was quite a work since I was on every detail).

So my question is if there's any way to, say, 'remasterize' (yes, like Remastersys for Debian-based systems) my current Arch install so all I have to do next time I want to set-up an Arch install is use that image.

Even better, it would be truly amazing if I can 'dump' my current install on a USB stick, that would be really c00l!!

Please drop a line if you know how to do these things =D
Beers!!

Last edited by msx (2010-09-05 06:37:38)

Enjoying i3wm w/ lifebar + j4-dmenu-desktop + tab_windows / fish shell / Emacs / tmux / Konsole / KDE apps
Arch + Linux-libre kernel: ParabolaGNULinux.org

#2 2010-09-05 05:48:55

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How to REPLICATE my Arch install?

Using any standard cloning tool like Clonezilla, Symantec Ghost, or plain old dd will do it. Clonezilla is a Linux LiveCD designed for cloning systems. It's on Distrowatch and Google.

#4 2010-09-05 06:37:20

msx
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How to REPLICATE my Arch install?

Hey guys, you rules, tyvm for being so fast!

BTW,
@fukawi2, nice work on ArchServer, I'm closely following your work, it will be awesome to have Arch dedicated to server duties.
@karol, sorry for not checking the wiki first, /me feels plain st00pid tongue, thanks!!

Enjoying i3wm w/ lifebar + j4-dmenu-desktop + tab_windows / fish shell / Emacs / tmux / Konsole / KDE apps
Arch + Linux-libre kernel: ParabolaGNULinux.org

Board footer