You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-05 21:20:11

kcirick

Deleting Swap Space

Hello,

Right now I have a dual boot machine (OSX and Arch), and following the wiki recommendation, I made four partitions consisting of EFI/HFS+/Swap/Ext4.

Now I would like to make a shared partition between OSX and Arch, and I want to convert the Swap to HFS or VFAT partition.Is there a danger in just removing swap partition? I know it is needed for hibernation, but I plan not to hibernate. Also I have 4GB of RAM so I really don't need Swap partition for normal computing.

Searching on Arch wiki didn't return any article about deleting Swap partition, but I did find this article ( http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linu … oving.html ). Is there any additional steps specific to Arch systems or other recommendations out of expert's experiences?

Thanks!

#2 2010-09-05 21:59:52

shemz

Re: Deleting Swap Space

It is ok to remove swap if you dont need it. And even if you need to hibernate, you can use Tuxonice which allows hibernating to a file. And you should all set by just following that Redhat article.

#3 2010-09-05 22:02:20

Procyon

Re: Deleting Swap Space

Should be OK.

I used to have 2GB of RAM with 1.5GB in use all the time and no swap. Every night I had crontab rsync a lot of files. When I woke up I would find several programs killed by "OOM-killer", who by the way is not a very smart guy!

Board footer