You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-06 13:04:34

respondo

SOLVED Suggest distro to learn CLI

I have been a PC user since 1996. I have f-disked and formatted everything MS has to offer.
Tried Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian, ZenWalk and a couple of others. My problems and question are

1.This one looks to tough for my little brain also. (I have RTFM before install this time.)

2 I am tired of end of life cycles.(MS) that result in end of support and security vulnerabilities. (extortion and protection money)

3.I believe ...if I don't like something I can go some where else.

4.Oracle has left open source solaris hanging in the wind, and the future of mysql in doubt.( I am trying to make web sites and learn server admin using Xhtml, css, php, lamp. but oracles latest business move brilliantly diabolical as it is makes the effort to learn open source look futile. The only hope for open source is the number of dedicated coders. vs the big bucks of business .

5. My truest problem, is that all my IT problems.... are strongly rooted in LACK of Command Line Proficiency. 

6. I have installed Zenwalk core 6.4 to force myself to learn CLI...and  I gave up, and from CLI, downloaded and installed KDE in a retreat to desktop environ. and once again i can't get that to run from CLI. Looks like i need to recompile the kernal or something. I have no businnes recompiling kernals. but I know how to wipe it and reinstall.

I. My first and only question besides where to get my brain fixed...is can any one recommend a distro that will help me learn the CLI
  with my limited skills. I'm compulsive and addicted to getting this done. I would like to accomplish it before I return to the sea of souls...where ever that is..

I will scream this ...THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR All EFFORTS
       P.S I've got a thick skin so don't worry about hurting my feelings .

Last edited by respondo (2010-09-06 21:36:36)

#2 2010-09-06 13:12:26

karol
Archivist

Re: SOLVED Suggest distro to learn CLI

I'm not sure if Arch has any GUI package manager, so you're basically forced to use some CLI one :-)

I've run some older version of Zenwalk from the CLI w/o a problem. Maybe you should start of by reading the manuals for the tools that are included in the distro you choose?

Try http://minimalinux.org/ttylinux/ - small, very fast boot, CLI-only IIRC :-)

Last edited by karol (2010-09-06 13:14:10)

#3 2010-09-06 13:30:22

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Arch isn't really that hard to install if you just follow the Beginner's Guide step by step. I've even directed people who are completely new to Linux at it and they've had working systems after going through it. Even on the odd chance that you do fail on your first time going through it you learn why by reading the wiki and you can try again.

Based on the fact that I see that simplicity makes learning a distro a lot easier I would recommend either Arch or Slackware (maybe Gentoo if you have a lot of time on your hands to compile things). I find that actually learning something gets harder due to the lack of insight caused by the convoluted mess that is the underlying system of some of the more "user friendly" distros out there. They do sometimes require you to read documentation, but I think that there is usually plenty of information out there to be found which makes the learning curve quite a bit less steep. I would especially recommend the Arch and Gentoo wiki (these days both of them contain a lot of information that is relevant to Linux users of any distribution).

I do want to point out that my opinions are far from universal, and a lot of people have different views on what is a good place to start.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#4 2010-09-06 14:04:11

respondo

Thank you Karol and Zeist ,,I'm a lookin at man and wiki again.

#5 2010-09-06 15:46:56

skanky

One way to learn the cli *basics* and to get comfortable, before having to get stuff working, is to get a hosted shell account somewhere and give yourself a project (eg a very simple personal server, an email client set-up etc.) and get playing. Someone else is doing all the housekeeping and you're learning the commands, etc.

That said pushing yourself through necessity can give better incentive - though frustration levels can be higher (if you break connectivity, for instance).

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#6 2010-09-06 16:16:56

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Jumping on the bandwagon and 'forcing' yourself to learn the CLI can be a daunting task, and one might give up.

If you don't wanna try installing arch (which is very easy, one doesn't need to know very much more than cd,ls,cat,less,reboot) you can go with Chakra or Ubuntu or similar and try to use the CLI for as much as possible, sooner or later you'll wanna give it a go to customize the system after your preferences completely and then you can go for pure arch.

#7 2010-09-06 16:19:00

Skripka

hatten wrote:

Jumping on the bandwagon and 'forcing' yourself to learn the CLI can be a daunting task, and one might give up.

If you don't wanna try installing arch (which is very easy, one doesn't need to know very much more than cd,ls,cat,less,reboot) you can go with Chakra or Ubuntu or similar and try to use the CLI for as much as possible, sooner or later you'll wanna give it a go to customize the system after your preferences completely and then you can go for pure arch.

Actually you do also need to learn or know how to use Nano or vi.  The only puzzling thing being that "^O" means Crtl+O

#8 2010-09-06 16:24:34

respondo

All good points.  Now i am thinking I should have posted this to newbe corner.

sorry   sad

#9 2010-09-06 17:24:11

Larsson

Read this page http://kmandla.wordpress.com/software/ and also follow his/her blog. I think if you have the drive to go only or mostly CLI, then the only obstacle is finding the right applications for your needs. Then the basic day to day use of your computer will feel comfortable after a few days. 

As for what distro to use, I would go for Arch Linux.  You get a basic cli enviroment when you've finished the install. You have a superb package manager in pacman and most of the applications you could need in a CLI-enviroment can be found in the repositorys or AUR (so be sure to learn how to use ABS and makepkg).

"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear." - A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

#10 2010-09-06 18:26:10

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The key, if you're uncomfortable with the CLI but do want to learn it, is imho not to take the dive but to tip-toe in it - keep your trusted GUI handy, use it as your default setup for the time being, or boot into the CLI by default but just keep KDE close.

The hard way doesn't work for everyone - there's no shame in that smile.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#11 2010-09-06 18:51:55

respondo

My laboratory machine (as I call it) is a cast off
Dell Dimension C521 it will not load any ms versions. It has a bios problem concerning timing chip
Dell has posted in support that they are aware of it but plan no flash for the problem at this time. I don't care actually ..
My point is that I have been able to run two different distros of Linux on it even with the bios problem.
but no legal copies of any MS OS will get past the handover from cmos.

AMD 3400 opteron
on board Nvida
1 gig of ddr400 ram (I got it out of a machine in the city dump. but mem 86 says its ok}
80 gig hard drive.

I go into the bios every couple of days and reset the time of day to correct time .

My question is  I've got a distro of linux on it now. and I would like to wipe that and try arch.
I usually use UBDW nukem to clean the drive first.before an install.

Any recommendations for prepping this 80 gig sata drive before I try to install Arch ? ...and should I down load and burn a 64 bit arch version .
My network connection works great. 
I like the fact that the network install of arch states that it is current . to me that means down load and install and I dont start looking for updates right away.

I appreciate all of your comments , especially yours .:B:. thanks
another one of my problems is I have "forum_phobia.
I know how much time we all spend inside this stuff...and I don't want to waste yours.

PS Im using a compaq laptop with xphome on it to write  this, they both sit together the lap top and the Dell C521 . I google my help on one and I torture the dell out of the desktop lab machine.

Last edited by respondo (2010-09-06 18:57:51)

#12 2010-09-06 19:17:54

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I suggest you work your way through the guides posted on the wiki. A few links to get started:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off … tall_Guide

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#13 2010-09-06 20:59:02

Website

.:B:. is right, If you arent confortable with the CLI dont uninstall your GUI. I have been in the same boat as you are. And when you start to notice that people on forums tend to give you instructions/help via CLI commands then you start to understand things and you feel better using the CLI. I started with Ubuntu  and all GUI versions of programs, and have slowly worked my way to have a perfeclty working file server at work (using ubuntu server, CLI only) and a perfectly working arch. Pretty much all system maintenance is done via CLI.

I would make simple steps with simple tasks to get started, like so:

- Learn the most basic commands first (cp, mv cat, reboot, poweroff, man, ls) and get confortable using them.
- Choose some widely used tools and learn how to work with them, like nano or vi for text editors (nano its very easy to use, vi is more advance and if you type "vimtutor" you get a full tutorial on how to master it)
- Everytime you need to update/remove a package, do it via your package manager CLI commands.
- Make extensive use of the man command, it gives all the required info to know what you are doing, for example if you are going to use pacman but dont know what the commands are just  type "man pacman" works with 99% of applications.
- Also you can use the --help parameter (ie, pacman --help) to give you a brief description of commands

the --help and man commands are the most useful and will make you learn fast.

hope it helped.

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#14 2010-09-06 21:21:49

respondo

cut and pasted your advice put it in the folder on my desktop
thanks
I'm really gettin busy now.

And also a thanks to Larsson ...good web site gotta get away from it now and read more Arch guides. I'll follow it though.

Last edited by respondo (2010-09-06 21:25:13)

#15 2010-09-06 21:36:43

Website

respondo wrote:

cut and pasted your advice put it in the folder on my desktop
thanks
I'm really gettin busy now.

And also a thanks to Larsson ...good web site gotta get away from it now and read more Arch guides. I'll follow it though.

cool big_smile glad I could help

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#16 2010-09-09 10:35:57

jeff story
Website

.:B:. wrote:

The key, if you're uncomfortable with the CLI but do want to learn it, is imho not to take the dive but to tip-toe in it - keep your trusted GUI handy, use it as your default setup for the time being, or boot into the CLI by default but just keep KDE close.

+1

That's exactly how I did it except replace KDE with Gnome!

Check out my website for info on the Arch Linux Installer

Board footer