You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-12 23:45:58

adamlogan

[SOLVED]pulse audio & choppy video playback

I tried going the OSS route and was not satisfied, so have been trying to do the pulseaudio route without success. alsa-libs and osspd are installed. On the "perfect setup" link from what I understand users should not be in "audio" group due to how arch manages sound? Anyways, help me help you help me. Let me know what configs I need to provide and how do I go about getting that done! Don't know how to copy paste entire text files via openbox. So far I found out about the middle click thing but since I don't have xterm configured I don't have a scrollbar.

Video is choppy, and I do not understand why. I suspect it might be because I'm using the xf-radeon drivers? Or is it because I have not created the monitor xorg config? I like the idea of being able to launch only one gui program without the overhead of a desktop environment from the console. Is that how this would be accomplished? I'm loving arch linux so far, am becoming aware of the non bloated cli approach of doing things which is very neat. Such as using elinks or mp3blaster.

I apologize, I realize there are hundreds of posts like this one. The fact is I'm a newcomer to Arch and I could really use some guidance on what order to do things to have the functionality of a working desktop. Getting audio and video correct are important to me. Configuration that makes life easier with command line tools such as xorg vi and xterm (or urxvt?) would be much appreciated.

I am convinced that arch linux is the way to go though. I love how lean and mean it is! At first I installed slim since that just seemed obligatory, and configured it. But today I got rid of it. It's extra fluff. Don't need it. The downside is a noob's (me) gotta learn how to configure everything. I don't want to run the typical desktop environments. I'm running arch on a 6 year old ibm thinkpad.

Last edited by adamlogan (2010-09-13 03:47:08)

#2 2010-09-12 23:54:33

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]pulse audio & choppy video playback

So you have no sound and you're not in audio group, right? What happens when you add yourself to that group? Could you post the link you've mentioned?

#3 2010-09-13 01:15:09

adamlogan

I was following the arch wiki on "pulseaudio". The "Perfect Setup" was an external link I followed from the arch linux pulseaudio page. I was on the audio group to begin with, no sound.. Removed myself from audio group, still no sound. According to the external link "Should users be in the "audio" group?" section. Arch users should not be in the audio group. Seems counter intuitive doesnt it. Apologies for the lazy first post. I'll do what I can to gather the relevant info.

Do I need alsa-utils? hmm.

Output of groups
lp wheel games video audio optical storage power users pulse-rt

/etc/rc.conf
MODULES=(!snd-pcm-oss !snd-mixer-oss soundcore tun)
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal network netfs crond @sshd  @ddclient @pulseaudio @osspd)

Last edited by adamlogan (2010-09-13 01:17:39)

#4 2010-09-13 01:19:46

sup

yes, install alsa-utils. run "alsaconf" then "alsamixer" then "alsactl store"

next, "nano /etc/rc.conf"

add "alsa" to the "DAEMONS=(...)" line

reboot

#5 2010-09-13 01:22:45

sup

As for your choppy video, since you said you were using the "radeon" driver, I'm assuming you have an ATI Radeon card (so do I). In this case you should be using the video driver "xf86-video-ati". See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ati. It's all the info you need.

Last edited by sup (2010-09-13 01:24:00)

#6 2010-09-13 01:54:53

adamlogan

@SUP

Thank you! Sound is working with firefox and vlc at least. Does pulseaudio need to be in the daemons too? I just stuck it in there, never saw instructions to add it. LMK if any of the daemons should be reorganized.

Current /etc/rc.conf daemons
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal network netfs crond @sshd  @ddclient @alsa @pulseaudio @osspd)

As far as the video goes, the xf86-video-ati is what I have installed currently. I poked around x11, I do not have an xorg.conf. Might that be the issue? I did the vbetest deal and have set the grub.menu.lst adding vga=803 to the end for native resolution looks good on that end. Seems like doing the evdev-monitor config is next? Has me quaking in my boots a bit lol.

#7 2010-09-13 02:09:49

sup

xorg.conf usually causes more problems than it solves. You can try an xorg.conf or a 10-monitor.conf but I wouldn't be hopeful that it will work. Be ready to delete these files after you create them.

Do you have all of the following installed?

xf86-video-ati, libgl, ati-dri, linux-firmware, mesa.

All of them are necessary for your hardware to be properly detected.

#8 2010-09-13 02:19:54

adamlogan

Yeah, all packages you mentioned are installed.

pacman -Q {xf86-video-ati,libgl,ati-dri,linux-firmware,mesa}
xf86-video-ati 6.13.1-1
libgl 7.8.2-1
ati-dri 7.8.2-1
linux-firmware 20100807-1
mesa 7.8.2-1

Generally video works ok but gets choppy when enlarged to full screen.

EDIT: Actually I checked again, video playback is choppy no matter what size.

So what is the point of doing 10-Monitor.conf? I am interested in using applications without overhead of desktop environment. On that vein is window manager even neccesary? Am using openbox atm. Was using tint 2 but tossed that too. Being able to forward gui applications over ssh would be handy sometimes.

Last edited by adamlogan (2010-09-13 02:54:36)

#9 2010-09-13 02:29:56

sup

10-monitor.conf is mostly useful to people with more obscure hardware who are not using something as common as the drivers we are using.

#10 2010-09-13 03:43:03

adamlogan

I managed to burn chakra to a cd. Booted it up and checked out the output of pacman -Q. Noticed intel-dri and had a hunch. Went back, booted Arch. Apparently that was all I needed - to install intel-dri. Video plays much better now. Friggin sweet. Time to fine tune various configs. Thanks for the help guys. Thread is solved.

Board footer