You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-13 00:37:37

jazen

Arch Revisited

Hello everyone, you may remember me asking for help last year with installing Arch on a Toshiba laptop, the laptop was just a hobby and I didn't really intend on using it for anything so I kinda let it sit. Recently my friend gave me a old Dell workstation with a P4 2.4 and 256 mb of ram. Not sure what to do with it and with my primary desktop out of commission and being too lazy to do a recovery mission on the files, I decided "why not... let's give Arch another shot."

I would've never guessed that it'd be such a addiction. This time, I had a CD drive and I used the net-install ISO. Those 2 things alone made it almost painless compared to the first time. The only hiccup I had was the first time GRUB didn't install properly and gave me a error message. Just to be safe I reinstalled it again. Second time's a charm, or something like that... right? tongue Oh and for such old hardware it boots just as fast as my newer laptop with a Core 2 Duo running Lucid or approximately 23 seconds.

On the laptop, I went with IceWM and I figured it wasn't really my cup of tea. I got it working but it didn't like it for some reason. This time I decided to use OpenBox and see how it fared. At first, I was a bit out of my comfort zone and decided to install LXDE just to be on the safe side. So far so good, but then I felt it was a bit ho hum after looking at the September Desktop Gallery my eyes widened like a kid in a candy store. After that, I knew what I wanted and immediately went back to OpenBox. After 2 days of configuring (with less than adequate rest) I've finally got something that I'm satisfied with. Took a little while to do since it was my first attempt, but for the time being my appetite for functionality has been quenched... for now.

-- mod edit: Read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code --

Last edited by jazen (2010-09-13 00:56:06)

#2 2010-09-13 00:45:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Arch Revisited

jazen: I'm pleased you have got a sytem up and running that is to your liking, however, this sort of post more properly belongs in the Screenshot thread - or you could get an Arch Linux blog.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-09-13 00:50:35

jazen

Re: Arch Revisited

Oh okay. Sorry. I'll post the screenshot up there. Thanks.

Board footer