You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-15 04:27:11

wjn

Have just arrived

Gooday to All

I have just set up Archlinux and while I am not frightened by the Terminal, I started with the Biginners' Guide. Found it very helpful but got stymed for a while on one or two issues, mainly my interpretation of the document. The downloading of KDE was a classic! Where I live in a rural area or north-east OZ some 45 kilometres by road (about 20 as the crow flies) from the city of Cairns the broadbane width is about the distance between the thumb and the forefinger when they are pressed together. Yes it took me five, I repeat 5 hours for the KDE download alone.

Ok I am here and I've been around a long time - some 75.5 journeys around the Sun but am keen to learn. I hope I don't find it too difficult.

Cheers to all

wjn (William [Bill] James Nicholl)

#2 2010-09-15 04:39:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Have just arrived

...and good day to you William.

Welcome to the boards! For future reference, we have an Official Hello Everyone thread where you might want to drop by.

After 75-odd years of experience and with a wilingness to learn, I'm sure you will find Arch a rewarding experience. Enjoy your time here.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-09-15 06:03:15

xelados
Website

75, quite an impressive number among our ranks! It's almost out of place for me to suggest anything to you (being a spring chicken of 24) but I think you'll fit in great here since you've climbed the most difficult step (installing and configuring). Welcome to Arch Linux. smile

#4 2010-09-15 06:53:03

shemz

You don't even need to know linux for installing, just be a good school kid who reads things throughly. But the fun part is to have some challenge. Heck there has been no breakage for my system in a few months now. Just a step closer to a highly non-ideal system. big_smile

Board footer