You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-17 02:51:36

Pricklypoo

[SOLVED] Can't Start X

So basically, when I first installed arch, it booted up well and I was able to start xorg. I then installed gnome, to later uninstall it and use openbox.

When I'd boot up the computer it would never startx properly, I then installed slim and everything booted up into openbox. When I'd try to use the ctl+alt+F1-F7 to go from openbox to , a black screen would appear with a couple flashing cursors, like two windows were trying to load but they kept interfering with each other. I tried fixing this by uninstalling the video drivers, since when I looked at the xorg logs my video card (ati 4850 X2) didnt seem to be loading properly, for example when I tried reinstalling xf86-video-ati, it would state that there was a fatal error 11 when running a Xorg -configure...So then I used xf86-video-radeonhd and when I changed to ctl+alt+F2-F7 a plain black screen would appear and eventually the computer would freeze up and reboot.

I'm just out of ideas at this point, I'm not really sure if its a graphics card driver problem or not. Even when I uninstalled both video drivers and attempted to use the Vesa drivers, the same thing still happened. I'm thinking it has to do with installing gnome the first time around, but I'm not completely sure. The fact that Slim boots into openbox fine seems strange, but then the ctl+alt+F1-F7 keys still give the black screen with two blinking cursors, then I have to restart pc. Killing Xorg would never work, so I had to go into grub and boot into run level single that way...after I removed the ati video drivers, xorg doesnt seem to start up at all (as a result, neither does slim, openbox)

Last edited by Pricklypoo (2010-09-17 06:49:42)

#2 2010-09-17 03:10:46

warenoso

Re: [SOLVED] Can't Start X

try deleting your xorg.conf and installing xf86-video-atim then startx

Last edited by warenoso (2010-09-17 03:10:59)

#3 2010-09-17 06:49:21

Pricklypoo

Re: [SOLVED] Can't Start X

Worked!

Thanks so much.

Board footer