You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-28 00:48:54

gbarnett

Emacs 23.2.1 -- buffer font not smoothed

Hi,

I've installed the patched Ubuntu fonts and everything looks beautiful in Gnome, however, when I start Emacs the font used within the buffers themselves are not smoothed. I've tried the Emacs from the the repo as well as building myself with the --with-xft option, but its still not making a difference. Just to reiterate -- all the Gnome dialgoues and so on look perfect, just the font within the buffers themselves doesn't.

Can someone tell me if they had to do anything special to get this working with Emacs?

Thanks in advance and apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum, first-timer coming though...

GB

#2 2010-09-28 02:52:50

madalu

Re: Emacs 23.2.1 -- buffer font not smoothed

I don't know what the default emacs font is on Arch (my configurations are too deep to undo and I'm too lazy right now), but what font name appears when you type the following?

M-x describe-face [RET] default [RET]

Have you tried setting the default font in .Xdefaults? E.g., if you have ttf-inconsolata installed, you can use something like this:

Emacs.font: Inconsolata-12

Or, you can customize the default font within Emacs in any number of ways. Perhaps the easiest is to use the customize interface.

M-x customize-face [RET] default [RET]

#3 2010-09-28 14:30:24

gbarnett

Its not that the font itself is duff its that the rendering of the font is. I'm using Monospace and it should have the same pixel smoothing as the rest of the system does.

#4 2010-09-28 15:28:35

shemz

I also dont have any problem with the stock Emacs. Try defining font settings for X and Emacs font in ~/.Xdefaults.

#5 2010-10-20 12:40:30

gbarnett

Hi guys, a delayed response but I thought I would post this just in case...

On my desktop machine the vanilla emacs works fine with the correct pixel smoothing, however when using a virtual machine, the only difference being the VBox additions for graphics, the fonts are not correctly rendered.

Board footer