You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-06 07:25:37

hadi

Having Two JREs at the Same Time [SOLVED]

Hi
The dependency settings in pacman seem to be a bit too restricting , for example i cant have the SUN's jre and openjdk on my computer at the same time , pacman says
they are in conflict . Is there anyway to install them both so i can choose which JRE to use in other programs like NetBeans ? Ubuntu's apt-get allows this

Thanks

Last edited by hadi (2010-10-08 04:35:48)

#2 2010-10-06 14:05:18

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Having Two JREs at the Same Time [SOLVED]

They do the same thing, so obviously they will be in conflict.  You can however build a chroot and install any one on your main system and the other on your chroot. If you want to use the one in your chroot, then you would simply have to explicitly give the path to the jre.

When you say "Ubuntu's apt-get allows this" -- how do you mean?? Do you know how they install both on the same machine? Maybe they auto-build a chroot for you -  something Arch never does for you.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-10-06 14:13:34

skunktrader

Inxsible wrote:

When you say "Ubuntu's apt-get allows this" -- how do you mean?? Do you know how they install both on the same machine? Maybe they auto-build a chroot for you -  something Arch never does for you.

Ubuntu uses Debian's /etc/alternatives model http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/91 to allow multiple versions of just about everything to be installed with an elaborate system of symlinks in /usr/bin to point to whatever version should be used.  The opposite of KISS imo.

#4 2010-10-06 14:19:18

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

skunktrader wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

Ubuntu uses Debian's /etc/alternatives model http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/91 to allow multiple versions of just about everything to be installed with an elaborate system of symlinks in /usr/bin to point to whatever version should be used.  The opposite of KISS imo.

Ugh !!!

How is that any different than having EDITOR=xyz in your bashrc?
I would much rather go to my bashrc and update a line than run a command "update-alternatives --set editor /usr/bin/xyz"

OT: I am glad I left Ubuntu and Debian when I did. Debian, was something that I actually liked but not with all this. Back in 2006, when I switched to Arch, it didn't have all this indirection and alternatives system.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2010-10-06 14:46:12

falconindy
Developer
Website

Conflicts are generally because of overlapping files, not because of replication of functionality. A quick run of comm over the contents of the two packages shows that they only share directories. Unless I'm mistaken, it would seem that the real conflict would come into play with deciding which set of binaries to use. Of course, this is elementary to solve, as mentioned above.

#6 2010-10-07 12:49:40

hadi

Thanks for the info

Board footer