You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-09 05:56:25

thom_raindog

JAVA_HOME, but mostly funambol and google / thunderbird

Howdie,

I am going nuts over this one: I installed funambol using the latest AUR-package, worked like a charm. Well, say, it installed, that is as far as I got. Trying to start the server at /opt/Funambol/bin/funambol I get

Please set JAVA_HOME to the path of a valid jre.

as a reply and I can not for the life of me figure out how to set java-home so that it works.

I use

pacman -Ss jre
community/jre 6u21-1 [Installiert]
    Sun/Oracle's Java Runtime Environment

sun java from community. Searching for

sudo find / -name  jre

only gives me

/usr/share/licenses/jre
/opt/java/jre

where the first makes no sense. Trying the second results in the exact same message from funambol.

So, any takers?

Last edited by thom_raindog (2010-10-10 12:15:26)

#2 2010-10-09 06:12:37

skunktrader

Re: JAVA_HOME, but mostly funambol and google / thunderbird

On my machine, I have "JAVA_HOME=/opt/java"

#3 2010-10-09 11:52:32

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Just log out/in or . /etc/profile.d/jre.sh

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2010-10-09 11:56:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hi, I'm the funambol maintainer. Have you tried running it with /etc/rc.d/funambol? That script is written by me to start funambol, it should automatically detect your JRE.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-10-09 19:42:44

thom_raindog

Thanks ngoonee, that did it.

Next step is to figure out how to sync my server with my google account and THEN my Nokia N900, but all that can wait will after sleep wink

#6 2010-10-09 23:47:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You're welcome. I thought I'd put instructions in the post-install (goes to check)...

Ah yes, the wordings for that would be a bit vague. I'll think about updating it. Please mark 'solved'.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2010-10-10 05:34:23

thom_raindog

Marked solved, sorry I forgot earlier. Was tired smile I need a dummies guide to using funambol (with google) one day though, can I hit you up for that?

#8 2010-10-10 06:26:48

thom_raindog

Hold your horses!
I am reading through the guide to funambol-admin and found the bit about the PIM-Listener, which sounds like what I need to sync my google-contacts. It is started using

./pim-listener start

but it is here that I run into my problem again:

[thom@thom-desktop bin]$ ./pim-listener start
PIM_LISTENER_HOME: /opt/Funambol/pim-listener
JAVA_OPTS: -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dfunambol.home=/opt/Funambol -Dfunambol.pushlistener.config.bean=com/funambol/pimlistener/PIMListenerConfiguration.xml -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx256M -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=3101 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
[thom@thom-desktop bin]$ sudo ./pim-listener start
Please set JAVA_HOME to the path of a valid jre.

As yet I seem to have to start everything server relating as root, funamboladmin as user though (no idea really if it is supposed to be that way...)
The output for the listener as normal user confuses me. Is that supposed to be that way? As root I get the JAVA_HOME bit again...

#9 2010-10-10 11:11:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

My advise, actually, would be to not try using funambol. Its (in my opinion) more meant for admins who want to handle the sync-ing of many many users, setting it up for yourself is maybe overkill.

What exactly are you trying to do? If its merely syncing PIM data from your phone to google contacts, I suggest mobical (if your phone is syncml compatible) or neuvasync (if its not, but can sync to an Exchange server).

Be warned that both services can be a bit finicky with regards to double-contacts etc. I suggest a full backup of everything synced first. But once things are set up (like I have them on my own set of devices) its basically just repeatedly syncing when needed.

*goes off to run his weekly sync*

#10 2010-10-10 11:55:24

thom_raindog

Well, I intend to keep contacts and calendar (maybe tasks) in sync between my Desktop, my Netbook and my Nokia N900. I won't mind "overkilling" it, you can only learn by tackling things too big smile Though, I might look into the services you mentioned for temporary solving this.
In the long run I would to simply not need google anymore, that would make me very happy. My data only on my machines, you know?

It would appear that syncing PIM from Google to funambol or rather thunderbird 3.X with funambol (as the final solution would hopefully be) will be a fair-sized p.i.t.a and that makes me not happy...

What do you use funambol for?

#11 2010-10-10 15:25:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I wanted it for the same reason you do (Palm Centro to Evolution in my case, google was just a bonus).

Yes, I found it a PITA. There's only like one person active on their forums, and he's overworked (name's Stephanie, but I assume its a guy from the things he types).

Thunderbird will be the main problem, in your case. AFAIK there's just no reliable syncing options for thunderbird. You could try the thunderbird funambol plugin (which is outdated and not-working in my case). Or you could download the scheduleworld thunderbird plugin, if you're willing to pay money for SW (its VERY GOOD, but costs annually).

I'd suggest moving to Evolution rather than thunderbird. Thunderbird started off as a mail app, and the addressbook is an afterthought (was supposed to be improved in T3, but still sucks from what I can see). The calendar is a separate plugin (but that's more mature than the addressbook, at least). It is not meant as an outlook replacement, and syncing stuff with it is a pain.

With evolution you have syncevolution, a very nifty software which means you can sync it to virtually anywhere, since syncml is supposedly a standard. Your N900 could sync directly to Evolution using that, probably.

If you insist on keeping thunderbird, then sync that with google (google contacts you'll be able to but you lose birthdates and notes I think) and google calendar using the Provider for Google Calendar plugin). Then use mobical.net or something syncml to sync your N900 to google. Be aware that google's stupid policies on creating new contacts means you'll be doing regular cleanup on additional contacts which just 'appear' from time tot ime.

#12 2010-10-10 17:15:38

thom_raindog

Thanks a ton for your help, ngoonee, much appreciated.
Well, I found mobical to not look good for me and tried nuevasync. THAT actually works: I can set it to sync my google contacts and calendar, which were both synced to my N900 nicely. Though, and this is where I hit a bit of a roadblock, I had to use the built in mailclient and MailForExchange to sync and after doing that the mail account I set up on my N900 is gone, as is the option to set up another one...
This does appear to be a problem with my phone though, so probably nothing you can do there.

Now, I would still like my data to be stored mostly on my own machines, and I would be willing to change to a different software - mailclient and calendar software and all - to achieve that. Google mostly helped me get my load of contacts onto my phone without the hassle of typing them in (traded in for the hassle to test and try and workaround for month trying to find a way to sync wink ).

So, what software can you recommend that syncs nicely with funambol? And, on a much related note, is it correct what I guess from very shortly checking my running install of funambol out, that when it comes to contacts it only stores (and probably only syncs) the most basic of information, no birthdays, not much in the ways of adresses etc?

#13 2010-10-10 22:53:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

thom_raindog wrote:

Thanks a ton for your help, ngoonee, much appreciated.
Well, I found mobical to not look good for me and tried nuevasync. THAT actually works: I can set it to sync my google contacts and calendar, which were both synced to my N900 nicely. Though, and this is where I hit a bit of a roadblock, I had to use the built in mailclient and MailForExchange to sync and after doing that the mail account I set up on my N900 is gone, as is the option to set up another one...
This does appear to be a problem with my phone though, so probably nothing you can do there.

Are you sure the N900 doesn't have syncml support? The thing about EAS support (which nuevasync uses) is that most phones only allow one to be configured, as you have already found.

thom_raindog wrote:

Now, I would still like my data to be stored mostly on my own machines, and I would be willing to change to a different software - mailclient and calendar software and all - to achieve that. Google mostly helped me get my load of contacts onto my phone without the hassle of typing them in (traded in for the hassle to test and try and workaround for month trying to find a way to sync wink ).

So, what software can you recommend that syncs nicely with funambol? And, on a much related note, is it correct what I guess from very shortly checking my running install of funambol out, that when it comes to contacts it only stores (and probably only syncs) the most basic of information, no birthdays, not much in the ways of adresses etc?

First about funambol, I found it loses my extensive additional data on contacts. One of the things it loses is birthdays (very important to avoid unnecessary tensions) but worse than that is that it used to have a bug where only one of the mobile numbers is saved, and on next sync all the rest are deleted on the phone. Hated that, and hard to detect if you don't check carefully. Also addresses got mangled, but that's common.

So, for machine to phone sync, you could try (assuming N900 has syncml) syncevolution, it has new functionality in the latest version which allows it to run as a syncml server. YMMV as I haven't tried it yet, but if there's a bug with the AUR package for that let me know, as I maintain it.

So what you'd be doing is run syncevolution and running the syncml client for your N900 to sync it up. Doesn't use the cloud at all. You could also run syncevolution separately to sync evolution regularly with some online database like mobical/nuevasync to use as backup in case your laptop and phone both burn out at the same time smile.

Ah, a quick google shows this page

http://wiki.maemo.org/Sync

So yes, N900 can do syncml. It runs syncevolution itself too, it seems. Hooray for Linux phones....

#14 2010-12-05 13:28:50

fmjrey

On my system JAVA_HOME is not properly set by /etc/rc.d/funambol.
Here's why:

$ grep -h JAVA_HOME /etc/profile.d/* | sed '/^#/d' | sed -e 's/.*JAVA_HOME=//'
setenv JAVA_HOME /opt/java
/opt/java
  setenv JAVA_HOME /opt/java/jre
/opt/java/jre

The following will further show what went wrong:

$ grep JAVA_HOME /etc/profile.d/*
/etc/profile.d/jdk.csh:setenv JAVA_HOME /opt/java
/etc/profile.d/jdk.sh:export JAVA_HOME=/opt/java
/etc/profile.d/jre.csh:  setenv JAVA_HOME /opt/java/jre
/etc/profile.d/jre.sh:        export JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/jre

So instead the following logic should be used:

$ grep -h JAVA_HOME /etc/profile.d/*.sh | sed '/^#/d' | sed -e 's/.*JAVA_HOME=//'
/opt/java
/opt/java/jre

Last edited by fmjrey (2010-12-05 13:29:37)

#15 2010-12-05 16:29:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Thanks fmjrey. Please note that posting in the AUR (as I see you've done) is the correct way to notify me as the maintainer. I may not read every forum posting smile. Uploaded a fix, slightly different from yours, should work just as well.

Board footer