You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-12 10:32:59

wjn

Downloading woes

Gooday All

It is some time since I first registered and the horror of downloading KDE4 was a little disconcerting. I enabled all the mirrors but it still took 5 hours and I need to continue and I shudder at the thought of downloading OOo. The problem that is frustrating searching, is the serarching by PACMAN. In the KDE exercise most of the time was spent searching for the files. Most times the number was eight with only one statement in 8 of 'out of time'. However there were many searches that reached 10. Having enabled all the repositories in OZ and the main ones as advised in the 'Beginners Guide' the result was not impressive. I note there is some more comment regarding this problem but can someone give me a quick fix please? Is it possible to download a CD full or files/packages and then load from there ie, the Debian way. I don't use Debian or Ubuntu. Personally I do not like the Gnome way of doing things.

At this pace I shall have travelled once more around the orb before I get going - thanks - wjn

#2 2010-10-12 10:37:31

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Downloading woes

You have not actually described you problem very well...   slow downloads for pacman?   Have you got a local mirror at the top of your /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlists?  The Australian ones are quite fast...    There is not package CD as they make no sense in a rolling release distro.

#3 2010-10-12 10:38:42

karol
Archivist

Is your connection timing out or you can't find the packages at all?

Check if the mirrors you use are up to date:
http://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/
http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

#4 2010-10-12 10:54:19

wjn

Allan/karol

Very quick response. Thanks! The problem is simply that it takes quite some time to find the files/packages. Once found it downloads at a reasonable rate on my limited rate satellite broadband. OK will have to get back regarding the checking of the mirrors. I understand the CD business of course might be constantly downloading a CD. Cheers - wjn

#5 2010-10-12 10:57:43

Allan
Pacman
Website

That sounds like a network issue.  Do you have your /etc/hosts set-up correctly?

#6 2010-10-12 10:58:31

karol
Archivist

pacman has to check the dependencies and stuff, so it may take about a minute in some cases. But after the first run the file database should be in your RAM, so the searches shouldn't take more than a couple seconds.

wjn wrote:

it takes quite some time to find the files/packages

Do you mean pacman can't find the packages on the mirrors or there are no errors and it just is working a bit long?

#7 2010-10-12 11:05:53

wjn

Allen/karol

I shall have to check on the etc/hosts as I am not in Arch at the moment. and 'karol' that is correct! It keeps searching for the packages and as I said once it finds the package it downloads at a reasonable rate. 8 to 10 searches is a lot of time wasted. I shall close now and get back in the next few days as I have a somewhat busy schedule. Once again great response and I thank you.
Cheers - wjn

#8 2010-10-12 11:14:16

tomk
Forum Fellow

Did you pacman -Syu before trying to install KDE? pacman will have difficulty finding packages if the local database is out of sync.

Board footer