You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-20 04:20:49

vikrang

ALSA snd-hda-intel

I have Dell VOSTRO 1500....The sound card is detected and I have tried all the methods in WIki...I have installed all related modules alsa-utils,alsa-plugin,alsa-firmware,alsa-oss ...I  have added "options snd-hda-intel " to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf...In terminal I have unmuted Master and PCM and  set volumes 85% and 90%  as explained in Wiki...When I run speaker-test -c 2 , I am not getting the "hiss" sound which is coming in my desktop and another laptop...When I run aplay -l command , I am able to ascertain the model no as STAC92xx (Analog)....

I am trying to install Oss as an alternative, but as a dependency kernel upgrade to 2.6.35 is  suggested by Pacman..I tried that before and Xorg gets screwed up...So I have rolled back to stable 2.6.32-lts version.

Pl help

#2 2010-10-20 05:29:20

medianmajik

Re: ALSA snd-hda-intel

Hi, I just setup snd-hda-intel on my STAC92XX netbook a couple days ago with the latest kernel.  If you've exhausted Arch postings you should check out the many Ubuntu Forum postings.  Here is the HdaSoundHowTo, Alsa Wiki entry on hda, Sabayon guide to resolving hda problems, and alsa/sound troubleshooting guide.

In this thread for the Vostro 1500, sound worked by adding:

options snd-hda-intel model=5stack
to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and then rebooting.

You mention that you've tried all the methods, but please still list what you've done as clearly as you can.
Have you selected a specific model of laptop as demonstrated above? Have you run alsaconf?  Every step from that moment on in the Alsa Arch Wiki is important to setup and store.

Don't give up hope.  You shouldn't need to change over to OSS or downgrade the kernel for sound.

One thing at a time

#3 2010-10-22 04:41:13

vikrang

Thanks Medianmagik....None of it is working

1.I tried referencing Model=3stack/5stack in modprobe,conf
2.I copied the same and created a file alsa-base.conf
3.I did an update of all packages with Pacman
4.I tried reinstalling alsa..
5.Amixer shows volume is on for "master" and "PCM"
6.Soundcard is detected by Arch
7. i ran alsaconf and selected legacy driver which got installed..But no sound

I dont mind starting from scratch and reinstalling Arch....However dont know if it will work!

#4 2010-10-22 08:12:13

vikrang

My same spec was mentioned in another thread...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=279655 ..

Will try and see

Board footer