You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-20 08:01:18

tmhedberg

[SOLVED] ABS package different from official package

Should packages built with ABS, assuming no modifications are made to the PKGBUILD or install scripts, be identical to the same package as available in the official repos?

I ask because, after installing ghc from extra as a dependency of xmonad, I realized that it didn't install a man page for ghc. I checked the file list for the official package, and sure enough, there's nothing in /usr/share/man in the package.

Then I built the package myself with ABS, making absolutely no customizations:

sudo abs
cp -r /var/abs/extra/ghc ~/abs
cd ~/abs/ghc
makepkg -s
sudo pacman -U ghc-6.12.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

And now I have a man page for ghc.

If I diff the output of

pacman -Ql ghc

(after installing the ABS-built version) against the file list from http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/ghc/, the only difference of note is that the former has:

/usr/share/man/
/usr/share/man/man1/
/usr/share/man/man1/ghc.1.gz

So, why is there a difference? Is my assumption that ABS packages should, by default, be no different from the official versions incorrect? If so, what's the rationale behind that? If not, then why is there no man page in the official extra/ghc package?

Last edited by tmhedberg (2010-10-20 14:28:56)

#2 2010-10-20 08:28:03

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [SOLVED] ABS package different from official package

They should be the same...  but there may be differences as you are probably not building in a clean chroot and so maybe had an extra makedep installed that is not listed in the PKGBUILD.  Or something could have been changed with a package update.

Anyway, the man page should be there so file a bug report.

#3 2010-10-20 14:27:18

tmhedberg

Re: [SOLVED] ABS package different from official package

Allan wrote:

They should be the same...  but there may be differences as you are probably not building in a clean chroot and so maybe had an extra makedep installed that is not listed in the PKGBUILD.  Or something could have been changed with a package update.

Anyway, the man page should be there so file a bug report.

Thanks for the input. I filed a bug as suggested. In the mean time I'll just use the package built with ABS.

Board footer