You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-20 18:02:40

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Getting USB mobile broadband device to work.

Hi all, because of a delay in line activation for another month, I've been forced to use a USB mobile broadband dongle (T-mobile thing), which allows me to go on the net on my Windows partition. But I'm struggling to get it to work in Arch.

So far I've downloaded and installed usb_modeswitch and its data package, and wvdial and a gnome ppp graphical front to it. When I plug in my device it treats it as storage in "computer:///" under the properties tab.

Using the command lsusb, I managed to find it's entry:

Bus 007 Device 015: ID 12d1:1001 Huei Technologies CO., Ltd. E620 USB Modem 

So I managed to find that in usb_modeswitch this device is supported and it has a sort of "suggested"/default config file for the device in /etc/usb_modeswitch.d, and in the reference text file on the website.

So in my file I have:

DefaultVendor as = 0x12d1
DefaultProduct as = 0x1001
TargetClass as = 0xff
HuweiMode = 1

However when I run

usb_modeswitch -c #path to file# 

I get the following and the output stops.

Looking for default devices
                 No default devices in mode or class found.
                 Nothing to do. Bye.

I've been reading around trying to get these things to work for hours, this is the closest I have gotten yet I think. I hope somebody out there knows what I need to do, the usb_modeswitch documentation is good to a point, but is still a bit confusing and I'm stuck now.

Cheers,
Ben.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-10-20 19:49:07)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-10-20 18:10:36

owain

Re: [SOLVED] Getting USB mobile broadband device to work.

I've got the same model dongle, but don't know about wvdial - what I can tell you is that using networkmanager + modemmanager makes it a breeze to set up and use.

#3 2010-10-20 18:16:39

Ben9250
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Getting USB mobile broadband device to work.

Thanks, I'll take a look into modemanager, I haven't heard of it before.

[EDIT]
Thanks, modemmanager really sorted out the problem!

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-10-20 19:48:48)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

Board footer