You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-20 21:26:47

xganesh

[Solved] Arch as a VirtualBox guest: what Guest Additions to use?

I have installed Arch on VirtualBox PUEL 3.2.10 r66523.

I have tried to follow this wiki page. But the links to the new version(s) of guestadditions do not work any more. Plus, that particular version does not seem to be any newer than the current vanilla one that comes with the latest VirtualBox (am I wrong?).
So, I'm using the regular guestadditions and they do not provide the promised functionality.
Could you give me a hint in the right direction?

Thanks for reading this.

Last edited by xganesh (2016-02-03 01:15:38)

#2 2010-10-20 21:30:34

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: [Solved] Arch as a VirtualBox guest: what Guest Additions to use?

3.2.10 supports xorg-server 1.9.0 and you can install the guest addition in the same way you do in any linux distribution, same way is described in virtualbox manual

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-10-22 05:12:55

xganesh

Thank you, wonder.

wonder wrote:

3.2.10 supports xorg-server 1.9.0

It certainly does (no complains there). However, it does not support seamless mode or mouse integration.
So, it does not provide the full screen (similar to a native installation) experience.

#4 2010-10-27 06:39:07

xganesh

My last post above was a mistake.
After rebooting (for another reason) both my virtual machine (Arch) and my host (Slackware), all the features from the additions run flawlessly.
I must have done something else (like disabling the GuestAdditions CD on the guest maybe?) because simple rebooting of the guest did not finalize the install of the additions. I also ran the installation scripts individually, according to the latest version of the manual (apparently it was not required on previous versions).
In any case, for the ones reading this thread, at this point GUESTADDITIONS FOR ARCH AS A GUEST DO WORK.
My apologies for my previous post above.

Board footer