You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-23 14:44:59

Ben9250
Website

Openbox, yay or nay?

Hi, all, when I get the Internet back and can install Arch again, I'm thinking of going for a less consuming Desktop than KDE or GNOME, although I am fond of GNOME, having Ubuntu and soon UberStudent for my university work, I'm thinking of my next Arch install as an opportunity to really throw myself into the spirit of Arch being lightweight, and to take advantage of using more power-user tools like mutt for an engaging install of Arch on a part of my hard-drive, to be a challenging learning experience, without the fear of screwing my university work up.

So I was thinking of Openbox for my next install. I was wondering if any of you guys that use it have anything kind (or not) to say about it - any good extensions I should be aware of or any issues, for example some programs throwing a tantrum as GNOME or KDE is a dep. I've also heard of Gnome and KDE in conjunction with Openbox. Does this offer much in the way of graphical or performance? And finally I read a bit about it with KDM and GDM, but I'm assuming if I use Openbox on it's own then I HAVE to use startx?

Cheers,
Ben.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-10-23 15:16:59

shwick

Re: Openbox, yay or nay?

It can be much more light on resource, but it might not. Compared to gnome it's like a blank slate, and you bring your own programs to manage everything. If you don't mind spending time to learn how to set everything up it's fun, and after a while you'll have an environment set up just the way you like it, with no redundancy

#3 2010-10-23 15:25:08

hume's doona

any good extensions I should be aware of or any issues, for example some programs throwing a tantrum as GNOME or KDE is a dep

if you install lxde, you'll get openbox with all the handy guis, you can then just start openbox, either from a display manager like slim or cdm, or start it from .xinitrc

#4 2010-10-23 15:25:24

rwd

just try it, and check the wiki. Most apps in the repository are come with as little dependencies as possible.

#5 2010-10-23 15:26:15

evot

You don't have to use startx.
You can start your openbox with slim

#6 2010-10-23 15:33:38

luishenrique
Website

I suggest you read this tutorial: http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

Arch Linux + OpenBox user

Blog: http://blog.luishenrique.org
Twitter: @lshenr

#7 2010-10-23 15:34:57

pyther
Website

openbox is just a window manager. You'll need a program for wallpaper, desktop icon, panels, sys tray, etc....

On my netbook: openbox + nitrogen (wallpaper) + conky + trayer (systray) (no panel)
On my desktop: openbox + nitrogen (wallpaper) + conky + tint2

So as you can see, you can build a "DE" that fits your needs.

I've been using my openbox for the last 3 years and love it. One of these days I'd like to try a tiling window manager, but I'm busy and don't want to learn a new wm, so for the time I'll stick with openbox.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#8 2010-10-23 17:17:50

Ben9250
Website

Thanks, I'm looking at all the different trays and bars and file-managers. Thunar seems a good one, although it did say not so much the automounting because of udev and hal, but theres still the option to use nautilus, does anyone do this?

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#9 2010-10-23 18:07:05

markmoran

Recently started using openbox+arch myself - very impressed with speed and ability to totally customize both the look and applications I use - no surplus junk added that you don't want or need. Here's a link for a good guide to setting up openbox on arch http://willensky.blogspot.com/ . Good luck with setting it up.

#10 2010-10-23 18:12:25

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

And you may want to look at the [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread! It shows how others configured their openbox systems.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#11 2010-10-23 18:50:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Between rwd's advice to just install it and see for yourself and the links to the Wiki, OB thread and the tutorial page -- this is covered.

And has been any number of times before: please learn to use the search function.

Closing.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer