You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-24 12:52:49

Ben9250
Website

Input hotplugging [SOLVED]

Hey, I've just put Arch on my computer once more and dancing around getting things set up as much as possible without the internet - mostly with the -U function of pacman until I get access to an Ethernet cable. Anyway following the beginners guide and the official guide once more and a thought struck me at input hotplugging - if I use the xf86-input-evdev and synaptics for input hotplugging and my touchpad on this laptop, then are the keyboard and mouse drivers necessary? Because I don't know if it's just me but up until now I've read the beginners guide and took it as though I need to install them both in addition to evdev. But this site does not: http://willensky.blogspot.com/ so I'm a little confused - and suprised I hadn't noticed this before.

I'm of two minds about this: 1) the evdev driver will take care of everything - just install that.
or 2) yes it will take care of everything to do with your inputs, but what if it still needs those drivers for the keyboard and mouse to do whatever it does with them.

I hope this isn't a silly or unreasonable question - but I have what seems to be contrasting instructions.

Cheers,
Ben.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-10-30 04:38:01)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-10-24 14:26:08

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Input hotplugging [SOLVED]

Ben9250 wrote:

if I use the xf86-input-evdev and synaptics for input hotplugging and my touchpad on this laptop, then are the keyboard and mouse drivers necessary?

In short, no, generally, you will not need anything more than evdev (for input devices at least). wink

#3 2010-10-24 15:12:38

MadTux

The Xorg article in the wiki is clearer about this than the Beginner's Guide:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

Install evdev and synaptics and you will be fine.

#4 2010-10-30 04:37:41

Ben9250
Website

Thanks, guy's had a read and it makes more sense.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

Board footer