You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-25 19:32:56

guidito73

Help with 2 bash scripts

Hello! smile

Today, I've started thinking about creating 2 bash scripts to run on Gnome's startup. Since I've no idea about bash or scripts, I'm kindly asking you to help me smile

So, the first one is a script to kill fusion-icon after 15 or 20 seconds since the DE startup, so I don't have to close it manually.

Second, I want to launch covergloobus (a little program I installed from AUR) after 20 seconds from the startup, too.

Any help is much apreciated!

Thanks!

#2 2010-10-25 20:39:53

dyscoria

Re: Help with 2 bash scripts

Check out these websites:

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

Both are frequently linked to and are great guides on how to write scripts using BASH.

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#3 2010-10-25 21:24:57

brisbin33
Website

you probably don't need a bash script for these.  find out what the startup file is for gnome (you might be able to get away with ~/.xinitrc -- i don't know gnome), and just add something like this to it:

(sleep 15 && killall fusion-icon) &
(sleep 20 && covergloobus &) &

in the case of xinitrc be sure to add these before the line that actually execs the WM.

those guides are good to read in general though of course.

#4 2010-10-25 22:05:06

guidito73

brisbin33 wrote:

you probably don't need a bash script for these.  find out what the startup file is for gnome (you might be able to get away with ~/.xinitrc -- i don't know gnome), and just add something like this to it:

(sleep 15 && killall fusion-icon) &
(sleep 20 && covergloobus &) &

in the case of xinitrc be sure to add these before the line that actually execs the WM.

those guides are good to read in general though of course.

Thanks man, that did the trick!

And thanks to the other guy for the 2 links, I'll check them and try to learn some bash!

Board footer