You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-29 08:31:55

neutrix
Website

General Newbie Kernel Questions

Hi all,

I've recently come across a fix for some hardware that I have which involves compiling my own custom kernel. I have found lots of information about compiling a custom kernel on the arch wiki and on the internet so my question is not about this. It is more about how a custom kernel will affect other things on the system.

My current kernel version is one of the 2.6.35 kernel version, whatever is the latest through pacman. When I went to download the latest kernel sources the latest stable version is 2.6.36, so if I compile and install this one will it mess up other things such as X unless I recompile that too or get a version that is 2.6.36 compatible?

Basically when making a custom kernel is is always best to use the exact same kernel version that is currently installed and use my patch, or just to go for the latest version? Also generally speaking which kernel versions can be swapped in and out without messing up the rest of the system?

Sorry if these questions are not clear or stupid, but I have never played with my kernel before and would like to know what I am getting myself in to before I do it.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2010-10-29 08:51:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: General Newbie Kernel Questions

Any kernel, in general, can be used. Certain apps are fussy about the kernel version (powertop for example doesn't run on some very old kernels), but your standard firefox-type app couldn't care less what kernel version you have.

Just make sure your separate kernel modules (nvidia, virtualbox, phc-intel etc.) are kept in sync with the kernel. Otherwise its not a problem having a version which isn't the same as Arch's (I run 2.6.35, 2.6.33, and the current [testing] 2.6.36 no problem).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-10-29 16:19:06

neutrix
Website

Ok, great, thanks for the reply.

I've just tried to make my custom kernel work but I've run into a problem. I followed the guide here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … rom_Source

I successfully downloaded and built a custom kernel (just a vanilla one at the moment, no code changes or anything) using my old kernel build settings (see guide for info).

I then copied everything in to the correct place, ran mkinitcpio for my new kernel which completed and then I added it to my grub config.

When I try to launch the kernel it doesn't seem to be able to find my hard-drive, and it also gives the error:

zram: invalid ioctl 21297

Thanks in advance for any help.

#4 2010-10-30 19:42:12

broch
Banned

zram: invalid ioctl 21297

inode scaling in git is broken, so I would suggest to use stable 2.6.36. Other than that I don't think that you should have any issues with zram

wiki kernel is a little outdated, also some commands aren't helping much, but these don't do any damage either.

if you have nvidia, I would get kernel sources and nvidia binary from nvidia server to get out of the loop of crazy dependencies.
The same applies to ATI. In the case of intel kernel does not need anything extra.
remember that kernel does not depend on anything, but some tools depend on kernel. However there is a lot of "fake" dependencies created for the sake of maintaining things (which is quite normal).

#5 2010-10-31 11:47:46

neutrix
Website

Thanks for the help everyone. I finally got it to build correctly (turns out you cannot rename the modules directory after they have built, you have to set their name before the build) and I am now typing this while running my custom kernel, so thanks again.

Board footer