You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-02 19:59:22

edward.taylor89

[SOLVED] Booting without udev

Is it possible for me to remove the udev hook in mkinitcpio.conf?

Should this work when I manually load modules?

Should I manually load modules in rc.conf r mkinitcpio.conf? Is there a difference between these?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by edward.taylor89 (2010-11-09 22:40:02)

'The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.'

#2 2010-11-02 21:41:08

mangust

Re: [SOLVED] Booting without udev

You should not remove udev from mkinitcpio. If you don't want the modules to be loaded automatically, turn of in rc.conf MOD_AUTOLOAD. You can read more on this in the Wiki for mkinitcpio and udev. Also have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Speed_Up_udev

"I hate computers, why didn't I become a street musician?" - phrakture

#3 2010-11-03 01:06:07

ChoK

Re: [SOLVED] Booting without udev

Actually you can get rid of the udev hook in mkinitcpio.conf. It's used in the initramfs image to autodetect what modules are required to mount the root partition. If you set the correct modules already in the modules section you can get rid of the udev, sata and autodetect hook.

For reference my mkinitcpio looks like this for a SATA drive using ahci with a ext4 root partition:
MODULES="sd_mod ext4 ahci"
BINARIES=""
FILES="/etc/modprobe.d/options.conf"
HOOKS="base v86d keymap resume"
COMPRESSION="lzma"

udev in rc.conf is completely different and should not be removed. It's for dynamically loading modules, example it autodetects your soundcard, or a new input device (mouse, joystick) or your power on/off button. Well actually you can disable the module autoloading feature but I prefer the ease of use it provides.

Last edited by ChoK (2010-11-03 01:06:28)

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

Board footer