You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-03 08:09:58

fancy_ninja

Rhythmbox and Open Office Writer

Hello everyone...I'm having some trouble with 2 things...the first is Rhythmbox. The lyrics in the context pane are not showing...I was recently introduced to Arch and I am loving it/trying to learn more about it. I've literally been on just over a week! So here goes--when I play a song the lyrics no longer show up in the pane. They DO show if I go into the song's properties or if I hit control L. Just wondering if I'm being a complete noob or if others are experiencing this as well. The second issue is with Open Office Writer...(and this is probably the embarrassingly obvious one for seasoned Archers). After updating a few hours ago, I can no longer open documents. It worked fine before the update...and I confess I do not know any commands to see precisely WHAT was updated (but I DID get the new rhythmbox the other night). I DID peruse the wiki on open office and tried prepending a # before the lines:
# file locking now enabled by default
SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING
...but this was for naught. Still can't open documents. Does anyone have some insight? Thanks for your patience and for your responses!

"You speak like a green girl, unsifted in such perilous circumstance."
- William Shakespeare, Hamlet, I.iii

#2 2010-11-03 09:01:51

firecat53
Website

Re: Rhythmbox and Open Office Writer

Openoffice will be deprecated soon....install libreoffice. The 'db' update was what broke Oo, so either downgrade db or install libreoffice.

Scott

#3 2010-11-03 09:58:57

Jodell

firecat53 wrote:

Openoffice will be deprecated soon....install libreoffice.

That isn't necessarily true. Oracle has release OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 RC1. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=ODY5MQ

Last edited by Jodell (2010-11-03 09:59:25)

#4 2010-11-03 15:18:59

fancy_ninja

Thanks for the help...just made the switch to libreoffice and no problems at all...I really appreciate it. Anyone have a clue on the rhythmbox lyrics issue?

#5 2010-11-03 17:10:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Jodell wrote:
firecat53 wrote:

Openoffice will be deprecated soon....install libreoffice.

That isn't necessarily true. Oracle has release OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 RC1. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=ODY5MQ

Everyone else is trying to take OpenOffice away from Oracle. They're not happy about it, obviously.

'Everyone' in this case might just win, basically due to the number of developers and the amount of support (Novell, Canonical, Gnome foundation, etc. etc.).

Since the major distros were ALREADY using go-oo instead of stock OO, its not that big a deal, just a name change.

To the OP, please ask different questions in different threads. I won't close this one, but take note for the next quesiton you have.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-11-03 22:33:29

fancy_ninja

I will do that in the future...apologies and thanks for the answers!

Board footer