You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-08 04:20:13

markbabc

[SOLVED]Trouble installing tiling WM

Ok so iv read the wiki's iv read the board posts and iv googled but i still failed in installing wmii, openbox, and even gnome (i succeeded with xfce4). I thought i had enough skill to handle arch but it seems like i was dead wrong so really my question here today is where did you all accumulate your *nix skill? Iv been using Linux (ubuntu) for a good 2 years now, iv manuals about linux, and im comfortable with the cli but i dont think iv been reading the correct manuals because im not really understanding anything of whats going on when i was trying to configure everything to run properly. So if theres like some super-duper amazing website or book that helped you become "leet" with linux please just post it here. Also i really want to try out a tiling WM just because i love the concept of them and i like things to be small and quick (one of the reasons i left ubuntu) but i cant for the love of god install one correctly so maybe im missing a doc that i should be looking at or maybe i should just re-install arch and start from scratch and see if it was something with my install thats messing everything up for me. so to sum it all up: where can i get more *good* info about linux (arch to be specific) and/or tiling WM's and im sorry if i seem like a total noob (and i know i am) but im just trying to learn more and better myself

Last edited by markbabc (2010-11-09 03:49:57)

#2 2010-11-08 04:26:08

bangkok_manouel

Re: [SOLVED]Trouble installing tiling WM

- i guess you'll learn by solving problems like the one you're having now
- "failed at installing" means not much, please post error messages or logs if you want help

edit/ good info about arch: click the wiki link
edit2/ welcome, by the way

Last edited by bangkok_manouel (2010-11-08 04:28:28)

#3 2010-11-08 04:34:35

ewaller
Administrator

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide

Don't be put off by the title.  It is an excellent reference.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2010-11-08 04:41:30

markbabc

Thanks for the quick reply's guys

@bangkok_manouel failed just means like something was wrong, like with openbox i couldnt get it to configure a theme/get it to auto-start/configure anything right, with gnome my left mouse button didnt work (i tried just about everything out there to get it to work), with the tiling WM's i could only type and the keys that were set to switch and start certain things werent working and the config files werent doing what i edited them as

@ewaller I followed that and the install guide exactly how it said but tomorrow i plan to start from scratch and see if that helps

#5 2010-11-08 05:00:33

karol
Archivist

Please choose a more informative subject for your post, like 'Problems with installing a WM' and try to structure you posts a bit, avoid long paragraphs - they're hard to read.

I don't think anyone can answer general 'problems' like that, because most of us have no problems with installing gnome, openbox etc., so w/o error messages and logs we can't help you.

#6 2010-11-08 05:13:16

ewaller
Administrator

Fair enough.  So it sounds like you did get gnome installed, but had problems with the mouse. 
It would help immensely if you could lets us know if it is a mouse or a touch pad, manufacturer and model, interface type (ps/2, USB, serial, bluetooth)
In this case I would probably ask for information on kernel drivers loaded, Xorg logs, excerpts from the 'everything' log.

It also sounds like you have the experience and initiative to do have done the research.  Kudos for that.  Now we will help you learn how to ask better questions wink

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2010-11-08 07:15:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Actually my reading of things is the OP knows how to search and read.

And that's about it?

About the only advise I can give you is to try and understand what you're reading. Don't fall into the trap of "let's copy this whole hunk of script, if it seems to do what I want then yay!". If you can't even install Gnome on Arch successfully, there's 2 possibilities:-
1. You don't understand what you're doing.
2. Your computer/system reveals some corner case bugs.

1 can be fixed. 2 I'm afraid you'd have to live with (its less likely though if you've been using Ubuntu for 2 years...).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-11-08 07:26:24

tomk
Forum Fellow

markbabc wrote:

where did you all accumulate your *nix skill?

Mostly in the kitchen - that's where my laptop is usually. tongue

More seriously - just by doing it. 4 years of Debian, 6 years of Arch, lots of reading, trial and error, eureka moments, etc.

And as we're on the general subject of accumulating skills, I also managed to pick up one called "punctuation" - that happened in school.

#9 2010-11-08 21:27:07

markbabc

ngoonee wrote:

Actually my reading of things is the OP knows how to search and read.

And that's about it?

About the only advise I can give you is to try and understand what you're reading. Don't fall into the trap of "let's copy this whole hunk of script, if it seems to do what I want then yay!". If you can't even install Gnome on Arch successfully, there's 2 possibilities:-
1. You don't understand what you're doing.
2. Your computer/system reveals some corner case bugs.

1 can be fixed. 2 I'm afraid you'd have to live with (its less likely though if you've been using Ubuntu for 2 years...).

I understand what im reading and always try to actually understand what im typing into a terminal before running whatever command. Also im sorry for the crappy OP it was 1:30 AM and i was almost asleep. I think im just going to re-install Arch and see if that helps, i have a feeling i messed up a config file somewhere.

#10 2010-11-08 22:06:08

Unia
Website

Maybe try following this guide to set up Arch with Openbox: http://willensky.blogspot.com/

If that doesn't work you should take a look at ArchBang: http://archbang.org/

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#11 2010-11-08 22:16:39

BaconPie

My only advice (for all those new to Arch) is to go to the Beginners Guide and do everything perfectly. If, at any stage, you see something out of place or don't understand something then just make a thread. It'll get answered and you can go on your merry way, one problem at a time.

One, detailed, question at a time will get you were you want. Also, the Arch Wiki has a specific guide for just about anything!

#12 2010-11-09 00:28:10

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

markbabc wrote:

Also im sorry for the crappy OP it was 1:30 AM and i was almost asleep...

Being sorry is fine - fixing it is even better. I've edited the OP to give it a more descriptive title - think of how helpful it will look in a search engine return as a guide.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#13 2010-11-09 00:55:17

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

BaconPie wrote:

My only advice (for all those new to Arch) is to go to the Beginners Guide and do everything perfectly. If, at any stage, you see something out of place or don't understand something then just make a thread. It'll get answered and you can go on your merry way, one problem at a time.

One, detailed, question at a time will get you were you want. Also, the Arch Wiki has a specific guide for just about anything!

This ^

Take time to pause at each issue, rather than pushing forward blindly.
If you can't solve it by yourself, make a detailed, succinct post here and you will get excellent assistance.

#14 2010-11-09 01:23:37

markbabc

thanks for the advice on everything guys, i reinstalled arch and got awesome set up with minimal mess-ups smile

#15 2010-11-09 01:31:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Nice work smile  You could mark this thread solved to celebrate!

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer