You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-09 13:59:01

meti

two bootable linux kernels on archlinux

I am new user to linux. I wanted to have two different bootable archlinux systems with different kernel version on my computer. I have 2.6.35.8 version currently and wanted to install a second distribution with 2.6.34.5. I downloaded the kernel from the official site but I dont know how to proceed. Any help is appreciated.
thanks

#2 2010-11-09 14:37:30

shpelda

Re: two bootable linux kernels on archlinux

start here.
beginners guide is also useful.
and google yields someone having almost the  same question as you do.
It's not tough. You just have to read around a bit.

#3 2010-11-09 15:24:10

tomk
Forum Fellow

Also, your thread title refers to two kernels only, while your post refers to two arch systems. These are different configurations - both possible - but you need to be sure you get the one you want.

#4 2010-11-09 15:29:46

meti

Sorry for the confusion @Forum admin but I mean i want two arch operating systems on my pc but each with different kernel versions. I already have one installed how do i add another one?

#5 2010-11-09 15:44:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You install it the same way you installed the original one, but to a different partition (or set of partitions). Why not just have one system but with 2 kernels installed? You can select them at Grub.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-11-09 15:49:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

You can install a "live" system with "larch" or CTKArchLive for examples.

The CTKArchlive is presently releasing version 0.6 and contains ~500MB of archlinux pacman packages.  It can be loaded by CD/DVD or USB flash.

There is also a previous version 0.5 similar in size which operates on an earlier kernel.

These are easily implemented...the o.6 version has english boot-up...normally french.

You can refer to Calimero's post about version 0.6.

I have it installed with CF flash and it boots into ram in 23 seconds in x86_64 version.

Packages can be added via addons using a program called mkaddon.

A very useful "live" system!

EDIT: http://calimeroteknik.free.fr/ctkarchlive/

Last edited by lilsirecho (2010-11-09 16:04:43)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#7 2010-11-10 12:36:25

linux-ka

I don't get the point.you want two different arch os but with different kernel version. so, why don't you install on each partition a different kernel , when running the system. you can chose via grub each of them...or build two kernel images on one arch os and chose for each kernel type different / surroundings.

Board footer