You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-10 11:57:43

ibid
Website

Broke my LVM and RAID

I'm running a RAID0 with two LVM groups /dev/array/alpha and /dev/array/root (they're also known as /dev/mapper/array-{alpha,root})

I created them according the the Arch wiki. It's been working well since I created it at the beginning of the year.

I decided I'd try and shrink down one of the groups so that I could add another partition. Not exactly sure what I did, but it was a combo of lvresize and pvresize. My actions became more erratic and I may have marked one of the drives in the RAID as a fail. I think this was under the impression that I could then boot from just one HD and save the other in case of some catastrophe.

Wrong, now I've got a catastrophe. Arch won't boot, so I'm up in systemrescuecd. lvs and lvdisplay is able to see my LVM groups. I can mount /dev/array/root. But the group that I messed with, alpha, shows "LV Status: Suspended" and all attempts to mount it fail.

Should also note that fsck.ext4 shows a bad superblock warning.

What are my options here? I'm thinking I could reformat one of the drives and find some dd voodoo to copy over the data from the other, but I'm hoping to get away with something less drastic.

#2 2010-11-10 12:05:19

mikesd
Website

Re: Broke my LVM and RAID

RAID0 ??? RAID0 is striping and I don't know why you would be using that as well as LVM. Do you mean RAID1?

#3 2010-11-10 12:25:45

ibid
Website

you're right. RAID1

#4 2010-11-10 14:08:23

ibid
Website

Some more info about the setup:
RAID1. Two 1TB drives.

md0 = / (858G) ext4
md2 = swap (1.86G)
md1 = /boot ext2

md0 is divided into two parts:
/dev/array/root = / (50G)
/dev/array/alpha (everything else)

I ran fsarchiver (Show Filesystems in systemresccd) and md0 displays as 800G, but there is another disk that's called dm-0, which is 50G
I'm also running TestDisk, which displays this disk as 858G

#5 2010-11-10 17:04:23

ibid
Website

I've been looking in on the RAID side of things
I failed the /dev/sda3 drive and this may be causing the error

cat /proc/mdstat returns:
md0 : active raid1 sdb3[0]
838860800 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md127 : inactive sda3[1](S)
974711680 blocks

well, the md127 must have resulted from me 'failing' the sda3 drive improperly. Maybe it's fomed it's own faulty RAID?

Is there a way to get sda3 to rejoin sdb3? I'm going to check now if I can get md0 running with only one drive. Fixing the RAID may be a wild goose chase if my LVM is borked, but what can I do?

#6 2010-11-13 11:36:10

ibid
Website

I think this is fixable. I just need a little help getting it all the way.

I was about to access the root partition of the LVM /dev/array/root, and on there I found a backup config  in /etc/lvm/archive that I loaded with vgcfgrestore. With this backup config I can now recognize my /dev/array/alpha, but it won't mount and fsck fails.

Here's what I've done:
fsck.ext4 /dev/mapper/array-alpha. I "y" everything, but it aborts with error. I agreed to clear the journal, so I believe this is effectively an ext2 filesystem at this point.

mke2fs -n /dev/mapper/array-alpha gets me a list of superblock backups where before it told me the filesystem was 0 and the partition table was broken and so on.

Board footer