You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-18 14:53:06

Archie_Enthusiasm

pdf files viewing /editing etc..[SOLVED]

Hello Guys,

which pdf softwares in Linux do you use for your pdf files viewing /editing tasks? I am using the standard Document viewer and can not do any editing or making notices etc... Are there any good softwares which are offered in arch linux main official repos? I could not find Foxit reader in arch linux official repo. Are there any better options than Foxit reader?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-11-28 15:51:47)

#2 2010-11-18 15:19:17

myrkiada

Re: pdf files viewing /editing etc..[SOLVED]

Foxit can be found in the AUR, but I guess you already knew that.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23344

Personally I use LaTeX (with PdfTex) for creating and editing pdf files, but you might be looking for something a bit more user friendly, in that case you could check out PDFEdit. Also I believe Inkscape is able to edit pdf files, but I've never really tried it.

Edit: I guess I might add a few more options: Scribus, OpenOffice, PDFescape (Browser based).

Last edited by myrkiada (2010-11-18 15:24:55)

My Configs @ Github

#3 2010-11-18 16:54:30

frabjous

Does the linux version of Foxit even allow annotations? I know it doesn't have as many features as the Windows version.

I use pdflatex for most things myself, and it can do anything, but that's a lot to install, and a lot of learn if you're not already using LaTeX for creating your own documents. (It's well worth learning, however.) PDFedit's GUI annoys me, but it can accomplish a fair number of tasks if you don't mind struggling with it. Inkscape is good, but you basically have to convert the PDF to SVG and back again, which makes me nervous.

I think it would be better to ask about particular tasks. A lot of linux software follows the UNIX philosophy of trying to do only one thing (and hopefully doing it well). Tools exist for most tasks, but different tools for different tasks. You could use pdftk for some tasks (joining, splitting, rotating), PDFshuffler or jPDFbookmarks for others, BRISS for manually cropping, and ghostscript/calibre for automatic cropping, the poppler or podofo libraries for extracting text, Mendeley for annotations, and so on.

#4 2010-11-18 17:11:53

ewaller
Administrator

Its very brute force, But I use OO Draw with the pdf import extension.  I use it mostly to fill in those really helpful "Forms" that are scans of paper originals. (My handwriting [except when I do math] is illegible)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer