You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-19 20:32:34

K-radical

Arch as a firewall

Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am interested in setting up a small home network and would like to use Arch for my main server.  A co-worker of mine swears by using pfsense with FreeBSD for his firewall/ids system.  I am wondering if Arch has a comparable application that can be used as a fully functional firewall/ids with a nice web interface to go with it.

Any ideas, or if you are a home network admin and are using Arch, what are you using?

thanks in advance.

#2 2010-11-19 22:39:32

hexanol

Re: Arch as a firewall

Most (all?) people using the 2.6.x Linux kernel are using netfilter when they need to set up a network firewall since that's what is built into the kernel.

Now, there's a couple of tools that can set up netfiler rules, from the ubiquitous iptables to 'higher-level' application like shorewall (which are in fact using iptables to set up the rules if I'm correct).

I'm personally using only iptables, and that's probably enough in most of the 'home network' scenario since home networks tend to be fairly simple.

#3 2010-11-19 23:50:35

K-radical

Re: Arch as a firewall

Thanks for the reply.  I probably should have clarified.  I want to run HTTP/SSH/VPN (maybe SMTP) so I want something that compares to pfsense or smoothwall...  I'm just wondering if arch has something along those lines.

I checked the wiki and didn't see anything so I thought I would check the forums.

Board footer